Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600dp won't idle, where to start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hg1027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

Hi there Forum

I got a 72 beetle that hadn't run in about 5 years, and I've started and run it a few times over the last couple weeks. It will stay running at ~2krpm, but any lower and it dies. It appears to be fuel starved at lower rpm.

It has a 34 pict 3 and a 009, which I understand do not usually play well together. The carb looks relatively new (a neighbor opened it up to clean the bowl and be sure the float was loose, he did not note jetting), the distributor looks a little older just judging by corrosion on the body.

Side note of possible importance, the blue coil that was on it was not putting out anything, so it was replaced with one from autozone that claims a 3 ohm ballast. This coil gets uncomfortably hot (haven't measured, less than 3 seconds) when running. No issue with just the ignition on, not running.

My next options appear to be:

1. Replace the coil with a new blue bosch. I've read conflicting reports that the only difference is color.

2. Open the carb and check the jetting. I do not really want to go the route of jetting the 34 to work with the 009, as I understand this kills mpg, and we're going endurance racing. This would only make sense if I'm going to keep the carb and swap the dist. I do not want to get in to dual carbs, as I need reliability and easy tuning. I would consider a used carb if I'm told this carb is not what I need at all.

3. Order a new distributor. I believe I want a svda, I have not looked at model numbers, but jbugs and aircooled.net both seem to have pertonix units for about 150.

We have adjusted both screws on the 34 all the way in, backed out by half turns, no improvement, and moved timing forward and backward a few degrees, no improvement.

So, where do I start?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

You can make what you have work. Don't buy anew ignition kit from jbugs unless you know what you need. The carb is more than likely dirty and the idle jet is probably plugged. You can get a rebuild kit for relatively cheap. Tear it apart and clean it really well. There are a billion diagrams online with exploded views to assist you. Static time the motor, then rev it up to 3k and check your dwell angle and your timing. Adjust as needed, then tune your carb. There's a really good vintage video that does an excellent job explaining what needs to be done. I'd post it but I'm too lazy to find it.

Good luck

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

First suggestion is to make sure the idle cutoff solenoid is working, and that you didn't forget to reconnect the wire when you changed the ignition coil.

As was mentioned, the idle jet could be plugged, or the auxiliary jet (located behind a screw plug right beside the idle jet). 34 pict 3 carburetors are also know for developing vacuum leaks around the throttle shaft (the original bushings are plastic and tend to wear out after 40 years).
Hg1027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

The idle cutoff solenoid was cut, so no issue there. I'll check the jets tomorrow evening.

Regarding the throttle shaft, I'm not sure how to check that. I had intended to spray starting fluid around it once we had it running at any rpm, but that wasn't happening. Would an oring or some silicon work long enough to confirm?

This carb looks fairly new - certainly not 40 years old, maybe not even 10. Is there a way to cross check a serial number? Is there a serial number? I'll post what numbers and words it has later today.
Hg1027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

I pulled the idle jet, which is clear, #55, but there's no oring on it. Is there supposed to be? It looks like it should have one.
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

I believe this is the video, Brian.

https://youtu.be/XOxxS1EMphU

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

This document does a pretty good job of explaining how the carb works under various loads.
(Section 3-6, page A-9, 30/34 PICT-3 idle operation).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

Hg1027 wrote:
I pulled the idle jet, which is clear, #55, but there's no oring on it. Is there supposed to be? It looks like it should have one.

No oring or gasket on the idle jet. Check to make sure the tip of the idle jet isn't deformed from overtightening, that seems to be a common complaint.

Also check the small auxillary jet, it is located behind what looks like a brass straight-head screw adjacent to the idle jet. That supplies part of the fuel for the idle circuit.

Which 34 pict 3 do you have? The original for a 72 would be a German made Solex, there are also some Bocar, EMPI, etc, branded replacements.
Hg1027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

Bocar 113 129 021p.

Going to check the auxiliary jet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

Bocar 34s don't have a great reputation. I've never cared much for them.

I've never understood why this is, but sometimes these style "Solex" carbs just won't idle with the idle fuel (pilot) jet tight. Loosen it slightly and, boom, they start idling. Some people have to Loctite the jet in place just slightly loosened from all the way tight.

Yes, the auxiliary jet is part of VWs attempt at tighter emissions control so they split the idle into two pathways, and it is needed for the idle to function. Also, note that the idle and auxiliary fuel circuits have air jets that are built into the carburetor, facing upward.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hg1027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies, I'll try the loosened idle jet this evening.

Also, after pulling the screw out of the auxiliary jet hole, and loosening the jet, it doesn't come out. Any trick to that?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

if the carb is on the engine, it won't come out. You have to shake it out.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

Hg1027 wrote:
It has a 34 pict 3 and a 009, which I understand do not usually play well together.

This is true, but the incompatibility only manifests itself when you are trying to accelerate. When the timing is not advancing, like when you're at idle, there's no problem. I have the same as you: '72, 009, 34 PICT 3. The one time I developed an idle problem, it was the carb alone to blame. I blew through all the jets and all the channels both ways with choke and carb cleaner three separate times. 3rd time, apparently, was a charm: it started idling fine again.

If I understood you correctly, while the carb looks new, it was sitting for 5 years. Any grunge that was in there anywhere in those channels could have gotten firmly baked into place, so it might take a lot of carb cleaner.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp won't idle, where to start Reply with quote

I have several 34-3's that wouldn't idle off choke. It took an ultrasonic part cleaner to really clean the idle circuit out. Once it was clean, all of them idled correctly.

If you have to crack the pilot/idle jet for it to idle, you have something blocking that circuit that needs to be cleaned out.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: