Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'79 Vacuum leaks
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShawnNolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: '79 Vacuum leaks Reply with quote

My Super has not idled correctly for years. Last week I got a loud backfire and it wouldn't run at all after that. Once again, intake boot had come loose. This time, when I tightened the clamps it did not start running better as it had before. It appears that one of the vac. hose plastic connectors has a big split in it, which I attempted a temporary fix. I did manage to find another intake boot online, (the old intake boot was split in a few places, and tape was no longer working it's magic!).
But it appears to me the entire vacuum/intake setup needs help. Nothing seems to fit together quite right, and it's very difficult to get anything close to a good seal. I have not been able to find some of these parts. Is there anywhere I can go to find a good schematic with parts list?

Thanks!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Vacuum leaks Reply with quote

What parts are you looking for?
ShawnNolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Vacuum leaks Reply with quote

After getting in there and removing the old intake boot, I see that there really aren't many parts there other than the vacuum lines and a couple of connector pieces. The plastic "double connector" towards the front is totally split in 2 , so it would be nice to get a new one of those. In the meantime, I used a rubber adhesive/sealant that looks like it might work. The ends of the vac. lines are all worn out, so I should probably replace those as well. We'll see what the new boot does for me!
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Vacuum leaks Reply with quote

The stuff for gluing shoes is good. Or neoprene gel. I had one split in the S boot and it did that. Gel not liquid.

You need to get all the tubes positioned so they put the least strain on each other.
ShawnNolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Vacuum leaks Reply with quote

Unbelievable! When I replaced the boot and gooped all the vacuum line joints...my VW is idling like it never has before. I used to be constantly feathering the gas pedal to take off from a stop. If I was on a hill, it REALLY took some finessing of the pedal to take off without jerking. Anyway...when I really examined the old boot, I knew there were going to be drastic improvements. On the BACKSIDE, where I couldn't see it, there was a good 2" split in the rubber. When I first hit the key, I was ALL SMILES!
Now...on to accelerator cable replacement. Any warnings I should know about?

Thanks..S
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Vacuum leaks Reply with quote

Throttle cable is quite simple. Just don't lose the little nut for the cable end and I use a good amount of grease on the cable.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Vacuum leaks Reply with quote

Think you have to get the kink at the end right so it pulls smoothly, otherwise that's easy (throttle cable).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: