Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bug wont start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

hey there

i just bought a sva distributor model 113 905 205T and pairing it with my 30 pict 3 carb. i didnt replace the vacuum can of the dizzy cause it still holds vacuum. i replaced the points but not the condenser. and i just overhauled the carb too.

now i installed everything, but it wont start. my battery is kinda weak but it was able to crank fast 7 times until it slowed down... so i tried push starting it and it fired right up! but wont idle at all... it wont die if i keep the revs above 2000, but if i lower it to about 1500 it dies right away. in fact it dies as soon as i let go of the gas pedal, doesnt matter if i pump it to squirt more gas...

i dont know if its the battery, points, or condenser...
i charged the battery overnight first...
what are the symptoms of a bad condenser?
and i dont think i adjusted the points properly, ive always had this problem that if the gap is a bit too narrow, the car wont start. and if the gap is just a wee bit wider it starts perfectly!

and btw, when i installed the carb i stacked 2 gaskets together. a thinner one and a thicker one. is that okay? would it have a vacuum leak if i do that?

thanks!
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

and btw. does anyone have experience with electronic ignition? im planning to eliminate points and condenser so i wont have to worry with adjustment anymore.
its more expensive than a set of points, so is it worth it? whats the likelihood of it failing prematurely?
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

have you connected up the wire from the coil to the choke and the fuel shut off valve .
i'm sure it wont harm to change the condenser and points out for new and set properly , also check timing and make sure all vac lines are connected
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

1. You need good battery to spin the engine faster.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

old gh bug wrote:
have you connected up the wire from the coil to the choke and the fuel shut off valve .
i'm sure it wont harm to change the condenser and points out for new and set properly , also check timing and make sure all vac lines are connected

wire of the choke is connected. and i dont have a fuel cut off valve installed.

my points are new, but condenser isnt. ive already set the timing at 0 tdc...
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
1. You need good battery to spin the engine faster.

ive had this battery since 2012... normal battery lifespan here is about 3 yrs, so im surprised it could still crank about 7 times!

the bug hasnt been running for a few months, the battery voltage was low at 8 volts. i checked it with a hydrometer thingy and still seemed ok so i just charged it overnight.

btw i have a 12 volt system but still have a 6 volt starter...
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

Starter.

solenoid could be fried.

a 6 volt starter running at 12 volts acts like a high torque starter.

however, once started, it should stay running, so you have other issues besides battery.

good luck!
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

When you reinstalled your distributor, you did not seat it all the way down into the case- the "dog ears" on the bottom of the distributor shaft are not meshing all the way with the drive gear in the case.

Ask me how I know...

Pull your distributor back out, look down into the shaft and see how the dog ears are positioned down in there (one side will be smaller than the other.) Make sure you are matching the distributor shaft dog ears up with the way they are in the case. Then reinsert the distributor, and wiggle it until it drops all the way down into the case. Static time again to 0 TDC and should be good to go.

I assume you've got the spark plug wires on the distributor positioned correctly.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
When you reinstalled your distributor, you did not seat it all the way down into the case- the "dog ears" on the bottom of the distributor shaft are not meshing all the way with the drive gear in the case.

Ask me how I know...

Pull your distributor back out, look down into the shaft and see how the dog ears are positioned down in there (one side will be smaller than the other.) Make sure you are matching the distributor shaft dog ears up with the way they are in the case. Then reinsert the distributor, and wiggle it until it drops all the way down into the case. Static time again to 0 TDC and should be good to go.

I assume you've got the spark plug wires on the distributor positioned correctly.

i just checked, and the distributor isnt all the way down so i fixed it. a lot better, doesnt die as soon as i let go of the throttle, will idle for a while (with the choke still on) at 1400 rpm, then die...

i dunno whats wrong, and i just changed the spark plugs too!

is it okay if i put 2 gaskets in the carb? will there be a vacuum leak?
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
and i dont have a fuel cut off valve installed.

This is probably your problem.

The 30PICT-3 uses a special 30PICT-3 only cut-off valve. The jet in the end is about 1mm compared to the tiny .55 on the other 30PICT carburetors, so Im wondering what you have there instead of the valve?
The valve should go in the opening that points to the side of the car, the idle jet is the one that points slightly rear and should be a .65.
If you loosen the one where the cut-off goes about 1/2 turn, the engine should run better, give it a try.
If you dont want a cut-off valve, drill the jet where it should go to about 1mm or more, its not a critical size.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

VolkzBitz wrote:
bug1200 wrote:
and i dont have a fuel cut off valve installed.

This is probably your problem.

The 30PICT-3 uses a special 30PICT-3 only cut-off valve. The jet in the end is about 1mm compared to the tiny .55 on the other 30PICT carburetors, so Im wondering what you have there instead of the valve?
The valve should go in the opening that points to the side of the car, the idle jet is the one that points slightly rear and should be a .65.
If you loosen the one where the cut-off goes about 1/2 turn, the engine should run better, give it a try.
If you dont want a cut-off valve, drill the jet where it should go to about 1mm or more, its not a critical size.

just to note i have the us spec 30 pict 3 carb, not the euro one which is slightly different.

this idle cut off valve is the same as an idle cut off solenoid correct? the us spec carb uses the solenoid behind the idle jet, while the euro one has a different plunger style solenoid on the left side of the carb.

i have replaced the size 55 idle jet that has a solenoid behind with a "normal" size 55 idle jet without the solenoid.
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:

just to note i have the us spec 30 pict 3 carb, not the euro one which is slightly different.

this idle cut off valve is the same as an idle cut off solenoid correct? the us spec carb uses the solenoid behind the idle jet, while the euro one has a different plunger style solenoid on the left side of the carb.

i have replaced the size 55 idle jet that has a solenoid behind with a "normal" size 55 idle jet without the solenoid.

No, the US 30PICT-3 uses a 30PICT-3 only cut-off, it looks just like the ones from the other 30PICT carburetors but the jet in the end is much larger in the 30PICT-3.
You need to either put the correct cut-off in, or drill an idle jet to at least 1mm. Ans make sure the other jet that points slightly rearward is a .65.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

What is your timing set at? The 205T should be static timed to 0° TDC. Depending on where the timing marks are on your pulley you could be to far off for good idle. Could be the dwell is off too. Setting static dwell and timing is easy with a test light on these distributors. Print out a degree wheel and see what's going on.

http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

VolkzBitz wrote:
bug1200 wrote:

No, the US 30PICT-3 uses a 30PICT-3 only cut-off, it looks just like the ones from the other 30PICT carburetors but the jet in the end is much larger in the 30PICT-3.
You need to either put the correct cut-off in, or drill an idle jet to at least 1mm. Ans make sure the other jet that points slightly rearward is a .65.

UPDATE! i got it to idle now!!!
but it runs rough...

so you mean the US spec 30 pict 3 cannot use a size 55 idle jet? is that why its running rough? wont it run too rich if i drill the idle jet to 1 mm?

the jets i currently have are: size 55 idle, size 60 aux, 122 main, 120 air.
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:

but it runs rough...

so you mean the US spec 30 pict 3 cannot use a size 55 idle jet? is that why its running rough? wont it run too rich if i drill the idle jet to 1 mm?

Correct, it needs a .65 idle jet, as I said, the idle jet is not the one that points to the side, but slightly to the rear. The Aux jet is actually deeper inside the carburetor. So drill the jet you have where the cut-off is to at least 1mm. Use the .60 you have for the idle jet for now and see how it goes.
Here you go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Der Vergaser Meister
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

VolkzBitz wrote:
bug1200 wrote:

but it runs rough...

Correct, it needs a .65 idle jet, as I said, the idle jet is not the one that points to the side, but slightly to the rear. The Aux jet is actually deeper inside the carburetor. So drill the jet you have where the cut-off is to at least 1mm. Use the .60 you have for the idle jet for now and see how it goes.
Here you go.

sorry, i dont really get it...
my idle jet looks exactly like the aux jet in your photo. so ill drill on the rear where the head is, or in front after the threads... the one that goes inside the carb?
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
VolkzBitz wrote:
bug1200 wrote:

but it runs rough...

Here you go.

sorry, i dont really get it...
my idle jet looks exactly like the aux jet in your photo. so ill drill on the rear where the head is, or in front after the threads... the one that goes inside the carb?

oh wait, sorry again... so you mean those 2 uhh, holes? are part of the idle jet only, and none of them are the aux jet?
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

VolkzBitz wrote:
bug1200 wrote:

but it runs rough...

Here you go.

if how im understanding your post is correct, then does it mean that the jet in an angle is the idle jet, and the straight one is merely an idle cut off for the idle jet, then where is the "aux" jet then?

sorry, im confused now... from what i know, the one in an angle is the "aux" jet and the straight one is the idle jet.
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:

if how im understanding your post is correct, then does it mean that the jet in an angle is the idle jet , and the straight one is merely an idle cut off for the idle jet
YES
bug1200 wrote:
, then where is the "aux" jet then?
Like I said, its deeper in the carburetor

bug1200 wrote:
sorry, im confused now... from what i know, the one in an angle is the "aux" jet and the straight one is the idle jet.
No, like I just said

Der Vergaser Meister
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bug wont start Reply with quote

VolkzBitz wrote:
bug1200 wrote:

if how im understanding your post is correct, then does it mean that the jet in an angle is the idle jet , and the straight one is merely an idle cut off for the idle jet
YES
bug1200 wrote:
, then where is the "aux" jet then?
Like I said, its deeper in the carburetor

bug1200 wrote:
No, like I just said

ohh, alright. thank you very much!
im sorry, i was misinformed about those!

when i was replacing my euro 30 pict 3 before with a us spec one, i asked the guys at the shop why the us spec didnt have an idle cut off in the left side. and they answered me, that the idle cut off in the us spec is behind the idle jet, exactly like the one in the 30 pict 1 carb.
and i asked them what the jet in the slant was, and they replied "power jet" (until somebody corrected me, and told me to call it an "aux" jet).

one more question, if the hole in the slant is the idle jet and the straight one is the cut off, in the us spec carb, then why does the euro carb still have 2 holes, an angled and a straight one if it already has an idle cut off in the left side?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: