Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

When I first got my 64 last year, I loaded up on a bunch of different grommets/seals and such. Been replacing them as I go and at the point where I need to replace the wiper shaft grommet. Is there anything I need to watch for when doing this? I'm assuming its somewhat of a PITA, as nearly every Bug I've seen has had the shaft grommets painted over vs taking them out and replacing them much like the door scrapers and vent rubbers.

Any secrets or "hacks" as the cool kids say these days?

In looking at the exploded diagram on WW, why are there two grommets shown in the assembly? Are there two used per side? One inner and one outer?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/electrical/bug_electrical_misc/wipe_assem.cfm

Last edited by Sharp64 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:58 am; edited 2 times in total
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

Just need to pull out the wiper assembly and replace the grommets. Most get painted over as they don't want to remove the wiper assembly.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Just need to pull out the wiper assembly and replace the grommets. Most get painted over as they don't want to remove the wiper assembly.

Is the wiper assembly that much or a bear to get in and out?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

not really, just some finagling around to get it out. More so if you have a radio.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

Be sure you disconnect the battery ground terminal first!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Be sure you disconnect the battery ground terminal first!
Ok.

Any input on why the diagram shows two grommets on the shaft?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

generic pic? some models had two split grommets on each shaft while some had a one piece with a center groove that sandwiches the sheet metal.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
generic pic? some models had two split grommets on each shaft while some had a one piece with a center groove that sandwiches the sheet metal.

Ok. Good enough. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need another set before I start tearing crap apart and then have to wait a week for the new ones to come in.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

I needed some grommets for the wiper shafts, like 'right now'. Went to Harbor Freight and bought the assortment of grommets. It had several in the size needed.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacment Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
I needed some grommets for the wiper shafts, like 'right now'. Went to Harbor Freight and bought the assortment of grommets. It had several in the size needed.

Cool, good info to have.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

HI Sharp64 Please post a couple of photos as you go ;
Wiper motor install is on my short list and any help or suggestions is appreciated ... Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
HI Sharp64 Please post a couple of photos as you go ;
Wiper motor install is on my short list and any help or suggestions is appreciated ... Wink

Should I have one of my daughters video me throwing wrenches across the garage as well when it starts pissing me off? Laughing
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

Do consider also part 14 and 15 they do ware out.
Um do you have a manual?? The removal is not that difficult take you time and do not force anything. Take photos along the way.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Um do you have a manual?? The removal is not that difficult take you time and do not force anything. Take photos along the way.

I have not purchased the Bentley manual yet. Having a tough time coming off of $100 for it. So far I've done ok with getting diagrams and such for the projects I've needed to do.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

Some years ago, I remember on one or maybe both of my bugs, having trouble with a purchased "correct" single grommet - it was just too tight for the wiper shaft, so I cut it into two halves like the Service Manuals showed (why they call it a "bearing seal" I don't know. Maybe because it "bears" on the body there? I added the notation about where the body of the vehicle goes)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

14 and 15 are the wiper shafts? Considering the amount of years I know this car sat either in storage or on an import dealers lot, I sincerely doubt they are worn out.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

14 and 15 are the wiper shafts? Considering the amount of years I know this car sat either in storage or on an import dealers lot, I sincerely doubt they are worn out.

If you go this far, there are plastic bushings at the pivot points, that are worn. You can get them from WW.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

If you go this far, there are plastic bushings as well, that are worn. You can get them from WW.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Shaft Grommet replacement Reply with quote

I replaced my shafts today. Without pulling the motor assembly Sad

Pull the motor assembly, it's way easier. I did mine in an hour without pulling it. Glad I had an extra e-clip.

By the way, warpy washer, item 2 goes under the wiper frame and nut, item 3, goes on the other side of the wiper frame. I also used a one piece grommet and had no issues on a '64.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: