Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

Last year summer time my dad was driving my 72 super and it over heated, killed the engine. I bought a 72 parts car and took the engine and rebuild it and put it in mine. Now just last Saturday on the highway it over heated. I live in Sacramento California and it was 100'F on Saturday. I'm dropping my engine, taking my heads off and checking my pistons and tightening my heads back on if everything is good (I'm getting 0 compression that's why I'm gonna look at the pistons) I feel like I need a external oil cooler but not sure the best rout to go.

Should I install it and where? I know if I install it I'm also putting a tac for the oil temp in.

But then I saw this video where the guy completely replaced the oil cooler and I don't know what's better?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Ixkusrq70

Please give me some advice.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

Is the engine stock? Have you tried a simple solution like stand-offs for the deck lid already?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

A stock engine shouldn't overheat in 100f weather. There are other issues going on. Get the motor drilled for full flow and use a filter but get the overheating sorted.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

Zero compression means that at least a top end job is in order.
It's also a good opportunity to upgrade to FFF.
Assuming it's still in place, using the native/OEM doghouse oil cooler is some sound advice.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

If you have cooked the heads and cylinders, a bigger oil cooler won't really help you very much as they are air cooled. You need to know why the engine is overheating.

Are you running the stock thermostat? What carb and distributor? Original 1972 shroud and fan? All cooling tin in place? Original deck lid with slots? Rubber engine compartment seal in place?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

Yes everything is stock, yes it has the tin wear, I don't believe anything is missing.

I called up my local vw place and they said overheating in 100f weather is gonna happen cuz all its getting is hot air, now idk if they're right or not but it's only happens on the highway, to and from work it's fine (about 5 miles to work) but that's not an extended drive.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

OrangeMango wrote:
I called up my local vw place and they said overheating in 100f weather is gonna happen cuz all its getting is hot air

Only if something's terribly wrong, I'd drive anywhere in 100* weather, VW sold these cars in markets that got a whole lot warmer than that regularly without any issues.

Tell us about how you have that 009 timed, and what you found when you dismantled that new carb I see on your engine, any crap in the jets?, and exactly what jets were installed in there? Also describe how your last valve adjustment went.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

OrangeMango wrote:
I called up my local vw place and they said overheating in 100f weather is gonna happen cuz all its getting is hot air

B.S. They work driving them in Arizona desert, 115F here !!!

OrangeMango wrote:
it only happens on the highway

Yes, these do run hotter at extended highway operation in hot weather. But I've made countless round-trips in mid-summer across I-10 to California and back to Arizona, and in 1835cc engine to boot !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

OrangeMango Said Yes everything is stock, yes it has the tin wear, I don't believe anything is missing.

Something is obviously wrong. New professional build should be next.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

The only recommendation VW made for hot weather driving was to use thicker oil ...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

You should NEVER need an external oil cooler for a stock engine. I live in CA also, and right now it's 104. However, I am still driving my 2010cc Baja down the freeways at 70 mph with 4:86 gearing (3,750 RPM). What am I using for cooling? A Type 4 cooler in the stock doghouse location, that's it. Yes its a little bigger then stock, but so is my engine. You are either having problems with your flaps, are too lean, or have too much timing.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

Your sparkplugs should tell you if you're running too lean. What do they look like?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

I lived in Modesto and drove a 71 super daily for two summers, even after an hour of freeway driving at 70MPH with a 1600DP engine, 21mm oil pump, 10/30 oil, I still had 15PSI idle hot pressure and 195° maximum oil temperature, with an outside temperature of 110° so something is missing or wrong with your engine. A properly built and lubricated engine should not need an external cooler, even up around 2L engine displacement. The engine is aircooled, not oil cooled, cooling the oil more will not being down head temps.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

Been hotter than hell,times like these a fella needs to roll off the throttle,let it cruise..the boys at bugformance been doing this shit a long time..
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

Cooking the engine and ending with zero compression is not good. Sounds like you've got major problems that an external cooler won't cure. We don't have the thermal mass of a water cooled engine. If the cooling system fails engine/head temps will build quickly to damaging levels. A cylinder head temp gauge should be standard equipment.

Do what others have recommended here. If you pull the heads replace all the exhaust valves. Check your cylinder head studs to determine if they're pulling out especially if they're the older 10mm studs mounted directly into the case.

As for coolers, this is what I'm running but it's not for everyone. I've never run the doghouse cooling system but everyone says it's the best way to go. I have a non-doghouse housing with the stock oil cooler removed and an adpter in it's place. There are winter advantages to putting the coolers after the pressure relief/control valves and out of the cooling air stream. The flap link on the non-doghouse is easily modified to go over the hoses. I've had no cooling problems in over 100 degF temps. Pushing hard down the highway, heads will stay under 340 degF.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

^ that goofy rig is a kludge that isn't needed when things are rigged correctly on a street driven car... just a complicated way of not using a doghouse shroud and cooler. Unless you are towing a trailer full of cement, or running thick sticky goo for oil you don't need to get that crazy.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

The spark plugs look fine, not burnt or anything. Running 10-40 oil on the trip. This engine I put new piston rings on, adjusted the valves the best I could myself, engine ran fine for an entire month (only has been in for little over a month) I had the cab rebuilt by a local shop my family trusts, has rebuilt all of our carbs for our cars. Studs are original and most of the nuts as well, might sound stupid to run original nuts but the damn ones from orilies always strip on me so I don't trust them anymore.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Cooking the engine and ending with zero compression is not good. Sounds like you've got major problems that an external cooler won't cure. We don't have the thermal mass of a water cooled engine. If the cooling system fails engine/head temps will build quickly to damaging levels. A cylinder head temp gauge should be standard equipment.

Do what others have recommended here. If you pull the heads replace all the exhaust valves. Check your cylinder head studs to determine if they're pulling out especially if they're the older 10mm studs mounted directly into the case.

As for coolers, this is what I'm running but it's not for everyone. I've never run the doghouse cooling system but everyone says it's the best way to go. I have a non-doghouse housing with the stock oil cooler removed and an adpter in it's place. There are winter advantages to putting the coolers after the pressure relief/control valves and out of the cooling air stream. The flap link on the non-doghouse is easily modified to go over the hoses. I've had no cooling problems in over 100 degF temps. Pushing hard down the highway, heads will stay under 340 degF.

Wow, just wow. The advantage of this over just running the stock setup is???
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

OrangeMango wrote:
The spark plugs look fine, not burnt or anything. Running 10-40 oil on the trip. This engine I put new piston rings on, adjusted the valves the best I could myself, engine ran fine for an entire month (only has been in for little over a month) I had the cab rebuilt by a local shop my family trusts, has rebuilt all of our carbs for our cars. Studs are original and most of the nuts as well, might sound stupid to run original nuts but the damn ones from orilies always strip on me so I don't trust them anymore.

Many factors can result in a heat related engine failure..since you've basically re ringed a used engine its hard to tell what caused it..proper ring fit and ring groove cleaning is critical for cylinder life for instance...tear it down and show the failure, its how to begin an analysis.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine runs too hot, need external cooler advice Reply with quote

You may need advice, but not about bling coolers....Check your engine bay tar board is not loose, and sucking into - and blocking - the fan

Some of us run double/treble the factory power in daily drivers at 100+F with standard everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: