Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Maybe I'll join you on the 22nd with stu

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I will spend the night at any house where " freeways suck" is the motto.

Didn't Custer come in a solid second set LBH?

Second place is still the first loser. Serves him right.

Freeways are perfectly acceptable with a balanced engine that doesn't care what you throw at it. Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Dag,
That's one hectic schedule!
You're gonna be Ballin' the Jack full time for sure.. Cannonball Run!
Sac in July, and you don't like heat?
The 1 or 101 is way more suited to a bus IMHO,
As would be a more leisurely itinerary..
Might as well take the 'real car' and get some A/C, and time to NOT be behind the wheel..!
It's supposed to be about the journey,
But,
Things you do and experience, not the actual driving..! Shocked
I'd think a bit more about the 'bus pace' myself.
Unless you like long long days behind the wheel..
Some are like that, if driving is what you like to do, more power to ya.
My $.02.. FWIW! Very Happy

Hectic is right! The people along my route dictate the schedule. Not me, not the weather, and certainly not my Volkswagen. Cannonball!

Sac in July, flying by night of course, I have to make it to La Pine on time for my father's birthday! While I agree the 101 and 1 are more suited for cruising in a VW, I have traversed both of them from San Diego to Eureka. I have not driven over Lake Shasta, and I've never been to Klamath Falls either. I'd like to do new things on this trip, not old things.

The "real car" I own does not sleep me, carry my kitchen, carry my tools, have a bumpin' sound system AND get decent fuel economy in one package that is fun to drive and competent in all weather conditions. (Seriously, hard braking and hard left turns prematurely activate the shutoff valve in The Jetta's ABS system. So if I'm going to be my own traction control, I'd at least like to do it in a car I know isn't going to dump brake fluid everywhere.)

My "bus pace" is 4,000 RPM for eight hours a day. 400 miles is comfortable for me; I did it every month for the last few years of college. What's one more summer? Cool

SGKent wrote:
maybe next year if you get back out this way. I could find reasonable work for you to do but our schedules don't coincide well at this time.

I would love to meet you, and the dog(s)! And I guess we could do bus stuff! The heat of summer plus my deadlines isn't making my stopover in Northern California any more than a place to sleep this time around. Perhaps the Big Samba Bay Forum Meetup in Las Vegas next year? Surprised

Brian wrote:
Maybe I'll join you on the 22nd with stu

Mt Hood camp out is now 21-23 for me. Hopefully Stu has the weekend off???

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

you know.....I DO have something that needs a little packing Razz

Please keep the fudge jokes to the minimum. This is a family friendly environment, RIGHT GUYS?

tristessa wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
7.20 - Portland, OR (hambone, Xevin, tristessa, et. al.)

Sweet -- Wednesday is my Friday so I don't have to worry about getting up the next morning. Mwahahaha...
I've got driveway space if you need it.

Every day this summer is my weekend! HA! The sun is my alarm clock, and you guys will be enforcing curfew, not me! See you in PDX. (Do you locals hate when us foreigners call it that? PDX PDX PDX....)

richparker wrote:

12.15 - Durango, Co (snowboarding with Richie P.)

Sounds like a plan!!!

--

Sold my middle seat yesterday, which will pay for gas from San Diego to about Montana. Twisted Evil
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Jesus Christ....

I was packing an ignition switch...hence a little packing. get your mind out of the gutter guys... Razz

shall I send you some meat clown for a sandwich on the road?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

would be tasty with a big load of mayonnaise smeared all over the buns

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Quote:
I would love to meet you, and the dog(s)! And I guess we could do bus stuff! The heat of summer plus my deadlines isn't making my stopover in Northern California any more than a place to sleep this time around. Perhaps the Big Samba Bay Forum Meetup in Las Vegas next year? Surprised

We aren't Vegas people. We were trying to figure out what you needed and why you bailed on San Diego so suddenly you even dumped a deposit to Colin. I have plenty of things to do here I hire people for, especially as I've gotten older. We just aren't planning to do it all in a 48 hour period. Bad timing. I left San Diego myself to come up here in 1990. We've traveled coast to coast so many times since the 1970's and especially 2006 until 2014 when the last of my folks passed. We are always happy to get back to California. We found that the pace of life is much more relaxed here than elsewhere in the USA these days. It is always fun to explore but don't let important doors close behind you. Many are only open once in life and when they close they never open again, no matter how easy it may seem to open them when one leaves them. But one has to look for new doors sometimes, just know what you are looking for so you can walk thru when you see it.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

would be tasty with a big load of mayonnaise smeared all over the buns

This made me laugh so hard I almost choked.

Thank you, may I please have another?
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I presume from Newhall to Sac you will be using the Golden State? I'm thinking about that Type 1 fan shroud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

We aren't Vegas people. We were trying to figure out what you needed and why you bailed on San Diego so suddenly you even dumped a deposit to Colin. I have plenty of things to do here I hire people for, especially as I've gotten older. We just aren't planning to do it all in a 48 hour period. Bad timing. I left San Diego myself to come up here in 1990. We've traveled coast to coast so many times since the 1970's and especially 2006 until 2014 when the last of my folks passed. We are always happy to get back to California. We found that the pace of life is much more relaxed here than elsewhere in the USA these days. It is always fun to explore but don't let important doors close behind you. Many are only open once in life and when they close they never open again, no matter how easy it may seem to open them when one leaves them. But one has to look for new doors sometimes, just know what you are looking for so you can walk thru when you see it.

I just realized my PM to you didn't send. I'll retype as much as I can, though my browser crashed yesterday. The crux of what I would share publicly:

The decision to take this trip has been a five year process. And I might not leave San Diego forever. I just need to see what else is out there. I know I'll be back in California by December, and I'll know more by then.

Unfortunately for Southern California, the doors I'm looking for moved away this year, and some of them I've never seen. I do know what they are, and I think I need to see them for myself, instead of talking on the phone or writing letters back and forth. Plus, the company has hundreds of openings any day of the week. A return to the job is always there for me in an emergency, and all of my friends have encouraged the trip as long as they know I'm coming back. Very Happy

Now if I could just convince my parents that I am responsible enough to make this happen without major incidents! Shocked

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I presume from Newhall to Sac you will be using the Golden State? I'm thinking about that Type 1 fan shroud.

Yes! But I just found out that Brian sold it for one dollar at the last Pomona Swap Meet. Confused

Oh well, he bought me beer this week. I'm calling it a draw.

I'm leaving Newhall early on the 10th. Like, before dawn. If you're free, let's grab breakfast or something anyway! I'm trying to give away the last of my parts stash. Need anything else?

Robbie
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I would love to meet up with you. Kettleman City would be great for that. Only problem is I cannot take any trips off from the railroad right now because of their sadistic, fascist Twilight Zone attendance policy. Let me see how it looks!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Oh yeah.. A right and proper oil bath air cleaner for the '70 beetle so I can get rid of this wire mesh Empi thingy. Laughing

A correct jack and tire iron for my 1973 bus would be great.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

Very Happy perhaps later. really don't need to destroy poor Robbie's thread any more than I may have. honestly, he is trying to be serious and make a plan here. my shenanigans are just a big distraction, and I do apologize

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

Very Happy perhaps later. really don't need to destroy poor Robbie's thread any more than I may have. honestly, he is trying to be serious and make a plan here. my shenanigans are just a big distraction, and I do apologize

Your shenanigans are welcome and encouraged.
Robbie
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Freeways are perfectly acceptable with a balanced engine that doesn't care what you throw at it. Very Happy

My engine is balanced, too. But the freeways take you away form the most interesting parts of the US, and directly into the parts where all the tourists will be making sure they see everything they possibly can during their two weeks of summer vacation.

They are good for making time, and I can understand your situation. I have driven I-90 from here to MN many, many times over the years.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

My engine is balanced, too. But the freeways take you away form the most interesting parts of the US, and directly into the parts where all the tourists will be making sure they see everything they possibly can during their two weeks of summer vacation.

They are good for making time, and I can understand your situation. I have driven I-90 from here to MN many, many times over the years.

I know what you mean about the interstates. Luckily, after my family gatherings in Oregon, I'll be able to hit more Blue Highways. I should also get that book…

200 out of Sandpoint to Missoula sounds like a great start to breaking off the interstates!

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/06/05/road-trip-best-every-state/85353830/

BTW since you are traveling across the upper Midwest and back to the east that time of the year

no camping in hollers or washes if the weather man predicts thunderstorms any where near you.

If the clouds near the ground are going one way, and up higher running another, and the horizon is rain be slow about entering it.

Hail the size of baseballs does happen.

If the weather is really lousy up ahead wait. If it is also lousy behind you try to stay between.

Last - if the speedo goes to zero in a heavy rain or starts to bounce - it is because your front tires aren't turning, not because the speedo cable broke.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/06/05/road-trip-best-every-state/85353830/

Oh boy. There is some good info in there! I especially like the bit about the covered bridges scenic byway. I've never seen one in person!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

I know what you mean about the interstates. Luckily, after my family gatherings in Oregon, I'll be able to hit more Blue Highways. I should also get that book…

200 out of Sandpoint to Missoula sounds like a great start to breaking off the interstates!

Robbie

Then, after your time in Bozeman, head east on 90 for awhile and pick up Highway 12 across Eastern MT, a little bit of ND, then on through SD and into MN. Take it for as long as you want.

Honestly, my favorite part of 12 is from Helena to Forsythe, MT, but that would put you past Bozeman.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Then, after your time in Bozeman, head east on 90 for awhile and pick up Highway 12 across Eastern MT, a little bit of ND, then on through SD and into MN. Take it for as long as you want.

Honestly, my favorite part of 12 is from Helena to Forsythe, MT, but that would put you past Bozeman.

Twelve sounds like a serious plan, thanks!

Family friends are actually in Belgrade, so that wouldn't be a tremendous inconvenience if it is as good as you say Smile

Robbie
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Twelve sounds like a serious plan, thanks!

Family friends are actually in Belgrade, so that wouldn't be a tremendous inconvenience if it is as good as you say Smile

Robbie

The stretch from Townsend MT, to just south of White Sulfur Springs is my favorite (exactly due north of Belgrade!). The stuff East of Forsythe (12 and I-90 run congruent for awhile) isn't any more spectacular than what you would see on the comparable interstate of the area, just more interesting and less truckers. Plus, I love small towns.

You could also drop down to Hardin, MT, then to Crow Agency to see the Custer Battlefield (I spent some time there last year and was a bit overtaken). Then take 212 all the way to Sturgis! The black hills are an amazing place, but there will be tourists.

So, so, so many choices....
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Fun!! Happy travels and all that. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 47

Jump to: