Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left front fender rub, HELP
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Ok, again I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right area, but here it goes. I recently installed EMPI drop spindles. I didn't want a slammed car but wanted to close the gap between the tire and the fenders. After instillation, I noticed the drivers side fender was approximately 1/2 inch above the wheel. The passenger side is fine. Once u test drove the car I noticed that the fender rubbed on the tire. I didn't want to replace the tires, and was wondering why the left and right sides were different heights?? Could I have a bad shock on the drivers side which is causing the drivers side to sit lower? Has anybody had this issue? Please help. Thanks Josh
1997 Jetta "the red car"
2001 Jetta 1.8 "the blue car"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Maybe because when you're driving it there's a grown man sitting in the drivers seat? Grab a friend and have them sit in the passenger seat and see it it rubs as well. Also, I thought it was pretty well established that smaller tires have to be used with dropped spindles? Another thought, I've read before where aftermarket fenders are slightly different depending on the brand and can have a higher or lower edge? Take some measurements and see if the fenders sit at the same heights?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Maybe because when you're driving it there's a grown man sitting in the drivers seat? Grab a friend and have them sit in the passenger seat and see it it rubs as well. Also, I thought it was pretty well established that smaller tires have to be used with dropped spindles? Another thought, I've read before where aftermarket fenders are slightly different depending on the brand and can have a higher or lower edge? Take some measurements and see if the fenders sit at the same heights?

I run 165/15 all the way around on my 2.5" drop spindled 67.
No rubbing issues at all. By chance do you have disc brakes on the front? That would push the wheels out to the edge of the fender opening and possibly cause rubbing.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Possible aftermarket fender or sag?
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Sharp64 sorry if I offended you, your post seemed a little sarcastic! Maybe I'm reading into it and if so I apologize, I am new to working on my VW and am learning as I go. If I get smaller tires do I have to also change the wheel as well? Thanks and again I apologize if I'm reading into your post to much. Josh
1997 Jetta "the red car"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Badman24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Check the camber, there is basically a off center nut the upper ball joint runs through.This will move the top off the wheel in or out depending on the location. It doesn't move it much, I would say about 1/2".
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
Possible aftermarket fender or sag?

Sag of what? Shocks or something else?
1997 Jetta "the red car"
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

No rubbing issues at all. By chance do you have disc brakes on the front? That would push the wheels out to the edge of the fender opening and possibly cause rubbing.
Good Luck.[/quote]

I have drum brakes all the way around. I should also point out that with nobody in the car the left or drivers side sits about a 1/2 inch lower that the passenger side
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Badman24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
Good Luck.

I have drum brakes all the way around. I should also point out that with nobody in the car the left or drivers side sits about a 1/2 inch lower that the passenger side[/quote]

Make sure your grub screws are tight. They are attached to the torsion springs. They tighten into a dimple and if it loose it could sit lower. They do have a nut that locks it though. Just throwing out some possible problems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

You can use Smart car tires and keep your stock rims. They are lower profile.
Regarding the "sag". I think the poster was suggesting that you leaf springs in the front beam may have a little sag or are relaxed.
The fenders may be after market. You can tell by placing your fingers between the horn opening and the front apron. 2 fingers roughly and the fender is og. 3-4 fingers and it's after market. Once you know that. You can spot an after market fender from a mile away.
Now back to my question. Do you have disc brakes installed on the front?
Have a great night.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
You can use Smart car tires and keep your stock rims. They are lower profile.
Regarding the "sag". I think the poster was suggesting that you leaf springs in the front beam may have a little sag or are relaxed.
The fenders may be after market. You can tell by placing your fingers between the horn opening and the front apron. 2 fingers roughly and the fender is og. 3-4 fingers and it's after market. Once you know that. You can spot an after market fender from a mile away.
Now back to my question. Do you have disc brakes installed on the front?
Have a great night.

NO I have drum brakes on the front
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Badman24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Can you tell if the back has been lowered? If one side was off even by one spline this could make one side of the car lower. Measure from the floor to the bottom edge of the back fenders and see if they are the same.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

I apologize if my post came across sarcastic. I was attempting humor but maybe lost in type? Anyways. In all seriousness, it's possible for the drivers side to sit lower on the left than right due to be weight of the driver. After some time things can in fact sag. Add in my case 250 pounds in the drivers seat and it can in fact cause the drivers side to sit slightly lower than the passengers side.

Towards 67Avenger: I thought 67's sat higher in the front than earlier years to begin with?
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

No problem sharp64 I do read into things to much. Even with nobody in the car it sits low on the drivers side. Somebody suggested torsion springs? No idea where those are on the car! Learning as I go the problem is this is my daily driver
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Towards 67Avenger: I thought 67's sat higher in the front than earlier years to begin with?

Dammit! Your correct sir Embarassed I have been reading P&ID's at work for the last week and my brain is a bit frazzled ATM.
I didn't notice a year mentioned, but the op has a 66 so the headlight buckets may be rubbing on the tires.
OP, the torsion bars are what supports the rear of the car spring plates.
Look at the rear of the car on level ground and see if things are level side to side. if not they may have to be reset to get things back into correct geometry.
\Good Luck

1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

I should also add that the tires on my car are 165/80 R15
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Dammit! Your correct sir Embarassed

Sun shines on even a dogs ass every once in awhile. (Old Southern saying.)
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
I should also add that the tires on my car are 165/80 R15

This is the stock size. I know you don't want to, but you may need to change to a lower profile tire or a narrower tire.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

I will totally change to a lower profile tire to stop the rubbing. Just trying to figure why the left sits lower. Guess I'll have to change the torsion springs and that sounds like a pain in the A@s
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front fender rub, HELP Reply with quote

As has been suggested, take some measurements on a flat level surface and inspect the fenders. Knowing why it's not sitting level may help to determine the fix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: