Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 vw bug generator/ fan belt help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
antihero11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: 1966 vw bug generator/ fan belt help Reply with quote

hey!
i just recently purchased my new baby, 66 bug
i recently had to replace the generator but when i installed it, i noticed when i spin the generator it makes a scratching noise from what i suppose is rubbing the fan shrout, also i replaced the fan belt with the belt size it originally had but fits to big so i got a half inch smaller but it fits too tight :/
any tips or tricks out there to get through this funk would be appreciated,
thanks!
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug generator/ fan belt help Reply with quote

Hi there, welcome to the Samba.

When you replaced the generator I'm assuming you swapped the fan and backing plate from one to the other, right?

You should remember some thin shims between the fan and the backing plate. Well, you need to determine whether the fan is rubbing the shroud or the backing plate. If it's hitting the fan shroud then move a shim or two from between the fan and backing plate to under the nut holding the fan on. If it's the fan hitting the backing plate move the shims from under the nut to in between fan and backing plate.

Same idea for the belt. Shims get moved from under the nut and cup to between the pulleys to loosen the belt and moved out from between the pulley to tighten the belt.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug generator/ fan belt help Reply with quote

When I put mine back together after powder coating tins same thing happen. Fan was hitting shroud I just loosened hold down strap smacked backwards towards the fan shroud lightly on pulley face and tightened strap down again untill no noise then put on belt and turned over with wrench to make sure all was happy. It was the relationship between fansroud and generator was getting forced at a very slight angle when all was tightend just loosen generator and make sure it's not getting pulled to far forward or backwards. Helped for me.
antihero11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 vw bug generator/ fan belt help Reply with quote

awesome!
will put this to the test,
thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: