Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia interior leak
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Ghia interior leak Reply with quote

My Ghia is leaking on passenger side front.This I do know- it is not leaking around the window seal,windshield seal,door rubbers and seals.The leak is coming where the firewall meets the floor.It is running under the tar board all the way to under the back carpet.I can follow the water to where the side bulge flares out where you would attach the speaker panel to.I checked the hood seal and all of the inside and no water is evident anywhere.It is not running down the firewall anywhere just in the crevice where the firewall meets the floor.The body of the car is virtually rust free.This is happening in a heavy rain and while the car is Parked so there is nothing forcing the water in.Any idea where to look for this mysterious opening?
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior leak Reply with quote

have you tried a running hose around the possible area/s and see the leaking in real time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior leak Reply with quote

I remember coming across this Look, Listen, Do It Better Booklet No. 14 - Karmann Ghia Body Leaks document in the archives here some time ago - perhaps it can help you isolate the problem.
videoguy009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior leak Reply with quote

Thanks but I read this before and my problem area is not addressed in this book.it doesn't mention anything about my area of leaking.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior leak Reply with quote

Always look at the silly little places where it could leak. Check your wiper arm to body seals and also your antenna to body seal. To check, just cover them in ductape (just something waterproof) and run a water hose on in for a bit with some towels inside the car. That is how I found my leaks Laughing

Also, looking at your gallery, great looking late model ghia! So many of them are trashed out these days Mad . And to boot, you have a strong motor back there! Must be a great "drive without problems" car! And glad you fixed that rear end that was all smashed up!
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior leak Reply with quote

Quote:
The leak is coming where the firewall meets the floor.

The hose idea is good. Check the seal between pan and body, it can leak there if you drive through standing water. .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: