Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reman trans concerns
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

I would like expert opinions on the trans I received from Rancho today. Perhaps these are non-issues. They found my original case had a hole in it and that nose cone housing had a crack. Pricing was reasonable for replacement case and nose cone. My original case had a clutch release arm that was curved toward the center of the case. The trans arrived with a straight arm that does not align with the bowden tube bracket. My concern here is that the clutch cable and bowden tube end may wear prematurely and the cable may drag due to misalignment. I was told the trans is a 12 volt and the old one was 6 volt and it was a non issue. The trans is certainly a 6 volt as the starter bushing hole is 5/8" and not 1/2". My other concern is the tail shaft housing has a crack starting at the hockey stick bushing area. Should I be concerned about these?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

call em up and ask for a different one

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

I bought a Rancho trans and had similar problems- the (used) nosecone had a super sloppy bushing in it that certainly would have caused slop in the shifter. The packaging was substandard in my opinion, the cardboard box it was shipped in was worn through in several places allowing the trans to stick through.

Call them, they'll send you a new nosecone. You'll need to do something with the bracket or arm to get the cable to line up.

Once my minor issues were resolved my trans works great after several thousand miles.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Call them, they'll send you a new nosecone. You'll need to do something with the bracket or arm to get the cable to line up.
Sucks that type of low-hanging fruit stuff didn't get caught before it left the shop. Now to deal with from so far away + more work in your lap (that you paid them to do).

Let us know how it turns out.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

Quote:

Is it just me or does that case look really pitted?

The side plates look corroded where they match up to the case too.

Maybe it doesn't matter as long as everything seals up?

I would definitely want a new nose cone at a minimum.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

Call and ask them to send out a good nosecone, a clutch lever with the correct bend and a 6V case to 12V starter bushing. You could be ballsy and ask for a labor credit or start a dispute with you CC company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing Ev, that case looks like a road salt area case or one sitting out in rain and mud if so the inside is just as bad if not worse. and He was charged the core fee for a case and nose cone. sounds almost like they just wanted to trade cases with him and get rid of this one. and charge him for it.
3foldfolly, did you ever see a hole in your transmission case you sent in?
In all trannies I've seen I've never seen just a hole??? cracks, busted in half, and corrosion yes, but to get a hole from corrosion it would be so obvious you would never send it in to get rebuilt.
At this point I think I would force them for a complete replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
...the clutch cable and bowden tube end may wear prematurely and the cable may drag due to misalignment.

That combo is common although not correct. It will probably be ok and you will be able to get to the engine bolt/nut easier. It will wear a groove as it self-aligns.

3foldfolly wrote:
The trans is certainly a 6 volt...

If your flywheel is 6 volt then it's ok. If your flywheel is 12 volt then the bellhousing must be clearanced. The bushing will depend on which starter you pick.

3foldfolly wrote:
...the tail shaft housing has a crack...

They did that when they put in the seal/bushing new thing or the dogleg hit on something during delivery. Not good and not acceptable.

I am not an expert.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Yes, Everett, we have this stuff called road salt that we use in the winter. Maybe you've never experienced this in Phoenix..... Smile

My guess is that they send the rotted cases where they came from- he's in IL which also uses a lot of salt.

I've had tranny cases rot though on trucks, as well as diff housings, engine blocks, and of course frames. Nothing unusual around here.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

New nose cone for sure, that is not good. The pitting on the case has no bearing on the inside, it may well be spotless inside. I've rebuilt a few that have looked way, way worse on the outside. As for the clutch arm, I do everything in my power to eliminate the evil curved shaft. It puts the cable directly in line with the upper engine bolt, and can be such a pain. To aim the Bowden all you need to do is spend a few minutes modifying the Bowden support with a die grinder. I open the back end of the hole up, in other words make it an oval, but just on the engine side. Then clean up the surface where the tube seats, so it sits square to the arm. Or there is a bolt on steel bracket..

I once spent about 30 minutes under my 65, with my wedding ring pinched tightly between the engine bolt and the clutch cable, because of that arm. I had been using a ratcheting box wrench to loosen the engine bolt, and when the bolt bottomed on the cable, the wrench was stuck. I was trying to loosen the arm when it slipped and caught my ring. After 20 or so minutes of trying, laying on my back the finger went numb. I ended up ripping the heat exchanger operating lever off, and using it to pry the arm away. Would've been the most stupid way to have lost a finger..
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

Unacceptable, and I would be talking to them about a replacement trans IMO.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

Get the right clutch cable arm or go thru broken cables about every 6,000 miles instead of 30,000+ miles.

New nose cone!

You are missing the steel bell shaped seat for the clutch return spring. #73 in the diagram below:

As for the corrosion pitting, as long as it seals up it is fine, but if that is clean magnesium would use a high zinc primer and paint over that to help keep future corrosion away for as long as possible.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

being in the salt belt myself, the case looks pretty good. the nose cone however looks like a pitted mess, and the crack is a deal breaker for sure

you know, it's funny....so I sent a trans back for a core once...was very clean on the outside. the dinged me 100.00 for "excessive corrosion"

though to myself you f*ckers sent me a case worse than the one I sent you....

I understand they have to reuse some of this stuff, but don't piss on my foot and tell me it's raining...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing Ev, that case looks like a road salt area case or one sitting out in rain and mud if so the inside is just as bad if not worse. and He was charged the core fee for a case and nose cone. sounds almost like they just wanted to trade cases with him and get rid of this one. and charge him for it.
3foldfolly, did you ever see a hole in your transmission case you sent in?
In all trannies I've seen I've never seen just a hole??? cracks, busted in half, and corrosion yes, but to get a hole from corrosion it would be so obvious you would never send it in to get rebuilt.
At this point I think I would force them for a complete replacement.

To multiple people:
Ok, understood on the road salt.

To the tranny owner:
Is it cracked in the upper right where the engine bolt pass through the case too?
That may just be more surface corrosion.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

I called today and spoke to Dave (the guy who has handled the whole deal for me). He said he would next day air me another nose cone, gasket and curved release arm per my request. I am somewhat disappointed in the whole transaction (no pun intended). I was initially told about a 3 week turn around and it was over 2 months. My original case was not corroded as the bus has been stored inside for 30 years and never driven in rain much less snow. It has always leaked from the side cover areas but I could never tell exactly from where because the previous owner smeared RTV over most everything in a failed attempt to abate the leak. Perhaps there was a hole there.Dave never said exactly where the hole was and I didn't press the issue. I agree with Barryl that the nose cone crack is probably the result of the bushing installation. The nose cone and main housing are more corroded than I would of preferred but I think its more cosmetic than functional. The gear carrier housing looks clean.The curved arm makes it a bitch to install or remove the upper left engine mounting bolt as I'm running a AH case single port 1600 but I think it's worth it to get some inline geometry on the cable routing. I will have to open up the bell housing as I did for the original case 30 years ago but the bushing will be a non issue as I am running an autostick starter. The clutch arm return spring cup is there, just hard to see to see in the photos. I asked them specifically to not paint the case as VW didn't paint them new from the factory. I intended to, and will satin clear coat the case to help prevent further corrosion. That is not another crack at the left upper bolt area, just a streak of discoloration.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

The curved arm is a nightmare for a doghouse case. You can heat the straight arm up and put a little bend in it to move it closer but not enough to block access with a socket.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
The curved arm is a nightmare for a doghouse case. You can heat the straight arm up and put a little bend in it to move it closer but not enough to block access with a socket.
Thanks for the advice Greg. For doghouse... have you ever heated a curved arm to bend it away a fuzz?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
campingbox wrote:
Thanks for the advice Greg. For doghouse... have you ever heated a curved arm to bend it away a fuzz?

Absolutely. Remove it from the transmission first. You don't want to be catching that stuff on fire.

I have never noticed that cable alignment issue before on straight arms and have not had very many cables break before (knock on wood).

I have had nosecones crack in that same spot before while installing that style bushing. I don't think that crack would affect its performance at all although it's not pretty.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

on another note are those non seamed axle boots or are they the seamed type with the seam pointed straight down. if so you need to relocate the seam, that's a leak waiting to happen.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Reman trans concerns Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
on another note are those non seamed axle boots or are they the seamed type with the seam pointed straight down. if so you need to relocate the seam, that's a leak waiting to happen.

Non-seamed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: