Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

Hello,

A while ago I bought a carburetor 28PICT-1 that has been cleaned and reconditioned.
Ignition and valve clearance are OK.
The engine is warmed up / automatic choke is fully open.
The idle speed is set to 850 rpm.
When I turn in de volume screw to the right, the engine speed doesn't start to drop but the engine runs faster and faster even with the screw all the way in.
Normally the engine must stall (I think) but he doesn't.

Is this a bad carburetor or can it be something else?

Regards.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like something is not right in there. That mixture screw should kill the idle if screwed in all the way.

BTW, the original factory idle speed on the 1200 engine with the 28PICT-1 was actually 550RPM. VW revised that to 750 RPM later on.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, there is definitely something wrong with the carburetor.
It makes little to no difference if I turn the volume control screw further out.
I put the idle speed a little lower and made a ride.
The car stutters when accelerating.
The mixture is too rich, the spark plugs are black but dry.
I will open the carb to find out what is wrong.
Could it be that someone has tightened the volume control screw too much and so damaged the carb inside?

Regards, Armand
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the main jet is likely too large, possibly the idle jet as well.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

First, pull out the mixture screw and see if the tip is broken off.

If you screw it all the way in and the car does not stall, it is possible the idle jet is too large or worn out.
I have had that same problem and found the idle jet was worn very large from wear or from someone drilling it larger.
I replaced the jet and everything worked correctly.

Maybe the main jet too, as mukluk said above.
I don't have experience with that as a source of the problem myself.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

Thanks, I will check the mixture screw, the idle and main jet.

Regards, Armand
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

check your fuel pressure. alot of pumps now are now putting out too much pressure. ive seen over 6psi anything over 3psi will over ride the float valve and make tuning impossible .jetting wont fix it.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yeah, sounds like something is not right in there. That mixture screw should kill the idle if screwed in all the way.

BTW, the original factory idle speed on the 1200 engine with the 28PICT-1 was actually 550RPM. VW revised that to 750 RPM later on.

Andy, that is why it won't kill it. The rpm is too high and the throttle blade getting out of the idle circuit
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustment Solex 28PICT-1 Reply with quote

Tried another 28PICT-1 from a friend : no problems with that, exactly to adjust as described in the VW manual : RPM 550 and CO 3 %
I wil open the bad "reconditioned" carburetor this winter and try to find out what is wrong.'Sad'

Regards, Armand
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: