Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Update. Today I tried to loosen the belts a bit and most of the hissing noise at high RMP went away. That is one down. There was a little leak in the coolant (S hose connected to coolant tank lower input from big coolant metal pipe from coolant pump) that was not there yesterday, that surprised me. Other than that there is still the oil leak at the front of the engine and under the transmission that are pretty bad.

As far as power goes. I used to know everything was ok on the van when it would go 110Km\h at 3200 rpm with the luggage and the 3 kids and wife. Now I get 90km\h at 3200 rpm empty and by myself, so it is either tune poorly (I hope) or just plain a lot weaker that before.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

A few picture from my van today in the driveway. You can see it really need to have the gowesty front springs planned for friday. I will try to picture the Gowesty front spring (zero lift) and the original one. It is unbelievable how much difference there is.

When I had to change the head after the broken stud in the head on the exhaust episode I realize the left rear spring was broken as is was on the lift. I decided to fix it by getting gowesty zero lift spring (recommended for multivan). As we put them in (and you can see on photo) there is so much increase in the rear that I now need to do to the same in the front even if they are in decent shape just to get the van levelled.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

I used the loctite on the black O ring as well. I was actually kind of disappointed at the sealing pressure of the O rings. They seem a little small in diameter to me to get good pressure at the bottom of the cylinder. I'd have been happy if VW spec'd a diameter of that O ring perhaps 10% larger. It only has to deal with 15 psi coolant pressure, but still.

So, are you confident of the distributor position?

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Funny you ask about the distributor. We had to check it yesterday. We took it out. Spun the #1 cyl to TDC -5 on the pulley. Spun the distributor so the rotor would face the mark on the distributor body while the bolt mount was aligned. It when in with the two cam aligned and we tight it down. Seen to works well. Is that the way you did it?

There was no sealant at the bottom of my cylinder when I pulled them off and there was no sign of leak either. So if it make another 200Kkm the same way I'll be happy about it. Next time I will put some just to be in the gang.

Last edited by Babin on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
Update. Today I tried to loosen the belts a bit and most of the hissing noise at high RMP went away. That is one down. There was a little leak in the coolant (S hose connected to coolant tank lower input from big coolant metal pipe from coolant pump) that was not there yesterday, that surprised me. Other than that there is still the oil leak at the front of the engine and under the transmission that are pretty bad.

As far as power goes. I used to know everything was ok on the van when it would go 110Km\h at 3200 rpm with the luggage and the 3 kids and wife. Now I get 90km\h at 3200 rpm empty and by myself, so it is either tune poorly (I hope) or just plain a lot weaker that before.

3200rpm is 3200rpm.. Unless you changed gearing the speed will not change..
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
...it would go 110Km\h at 3200 rpm... Now I get 90km\h at 3200 rpm...

I agree - this is purely mechanical, just math.

Unless you changed tires, diff ratio, tach or speedometer - one of those figures has to be wrong.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

As stupid as I will sound I only changed the piston size from 95mm to 94mm. Nothing else changed. And I'm convinced it is now slower, by a noticeable amount.

It was actually giving out more power and speed when it had a busted piston with 50 psi....

Last edited by Babin on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
...I decided to fix it by getting gowesty zero lift spring (recommended for multivan). As we put them in (and you can see on photo) there is so much increase in the rear that I now need to do to the same in the front even if they are in decent shape just to get the van leveled.

I see that GoWesty offers two 2WD spring sets:

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23690

Are you sure you got the zero lift springs? Your rear now looks much higher (more like the 1½" lift) than what I would expect stock (or equivalent) springs to produce:

I know some like the high look so if that is your choice then fine - but in your photo the front looks stock and the rear looks jacked.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

It was ordered and billed as the zero lift. When I took out the stock front spring and the gowesty side by side there was a 4 inch difference... I will post the pic next week (pretty amazing). And yes I was disappointed about the high of gowesty spring since it now rubbed my garage door with the van roof when I put it in for the winter. Gowesty is full of surprises..... no good one yet.

Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

[quote="Ahwahnee"]
Babin wrote:
but in your photo the front looks stock and the rear looks jacked.

I've seen you are pro gowesty Ahwahnee, but according to Gowesty these are both (front and rear) stock spring. At least now you know before you order!!!

I have to admit it is a nice way to make sure they will sell you the front spring afterward.... and make you pay that huge shipping cost again.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
...I've seen you are pro gowesty Ahwahnee, but according to Gowesty these are both (front and rear) stock spring...

I've had good results from them but any vendor can screw up. I would be inclined to call them, describe my concern and ask them what length the zero-lift and 1½" lift springs should be.

Do they mark their springs in any way? Some mfgs use a dab of colored paint to indicate spring rating.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

That would require me to take them off and measure them....

I will install (on friday) the front (zero lift too) they sent me and we'll see. If it does not goes level I might contact them but I would be surprise if they'll even care about it.

To be follow...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

If the rear springs hit the garage, I'd yank them off for sure!

Unless you're 4 wheeling you don't need that height.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Ok Dave, yank them off and then what? Put the broken one back? I've invested a bunch in those spring.

Gowesty website says: «We offer standard-height and lifting springsfor both 2WD and 4WD that employ the experience we have gained.We have worked long and hard on these springs, and have sold many, many hundreds to lots of satisfied people all over the world.Give 'em a try: You won't be disappointed!»

You suggest that I buy new springs from elsewhere and pay to replace again after less than 5Kkm?

I hope some more intelligent people than me will read this before buying gowesty's spring and steer away from them.

I'm an optimistic guy and maybe it will get level and lower when I put the front spring, let's wait until friday before saying Gowesty are not trustful seller. (or as Ahwahnee would say screw up seller).
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Odd question Dave. When we replaced the bushing, ball joints and shock last week on the right front side, we found the upper main bushing (the two metal one on the shock top mount) were welded there. Is that common?

I have therefore not decided to replace them, given the risk of grinding that area. Should I replace anyway?
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If the rear springs hit the garage, I'd yank them off for sure!

This spring I had to put all the camping gear and my three kid in the space behind the back z-bed seat to barely get out of the garage.... it's a good thing my kid are still growing up.... it should get easier with time...
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
Ok Dave, yank them off and then what? Put the broken one back? I've invested a bunch in those spring.

Gowesty website says: «We offer standard-height and lifting springsfor both 2WD and 4WD that employ the experience we have gained.We have worked long and hard on these springs, and have sold many, many hundreds to lots of satisfied people all over the world.Give 'em a try: You won't be disappointed!»

You suggest that I buy new springs from elsewhere and pay to replace again after less than 5Kkm?

I hope some more intelligent people than me will read this before buying gowesty's spring and steer away from them.

I'm an optimistic guy and maybe it will get level and lower when I put the front spring, let's wait until friday before saying Gowesty are not trustful seller. (or as Ahwahnee would say screw up seller).

I have a hard time understanding why you wouldn't have asked them about the 4" difference before installation? If they made a mistake, I'm sure they would have been happy to rectify it then, but I wouldn't blame them if they refused to do so after you put 55Kkm on them.
Some people call him Maurice...
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

I had the spring and shock install by a mechanic and I only saw the result once we pull it out of the shop. Is there a way the height would be the result of a wrong installation?

I saw the huge difference in the front spring last week when the mechanic set them side by side. Again, maybe it will all settle after the front one are put in.

Moreover I just saw van cafe has a warning on height increase from those gowesty springs : http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1700_1337/zero-lift-2wd-spring-set-gw.html

It would be a strange coincidence if gowesty would have mixed (lift for zero lift) up two different set of spring on two different order, right?
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Showing too much attention to my van lately I notice the alternator was getting pretty hot. Normal? It just got it rebuilt while I was reassembling the engine....

Last edited by Babin on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Trusting Van cafe as I do, they must sell oil gauge for good reason so I bought one! I finish the installation today, with surprising results.

Cold start idle 40-45 psi
Cold 2500 rpm 50-55 psi
Cold 4000 rpm 60-65 psi

Warm (15 minutes) idle : 2-5 psi
Warm 2500 rpm 20-25 psi
Warm 4000 psi 25-30 psi

Now I know it leak from the flywheel, but these seems like seriously low pressure reading. The van runs fine but I'm now suspecting an oil pressure issue, which I hope to resolve before a major problem show up. All thank to Van Cafe again.

What do you think?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: