Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In-line AC System | In Progress
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Hello All,

I am in the process of designing an in-line AC system that uses no refrigerant, hoses or complex dash rearrangements. My main goal is to design a system that is as close to plug-n-play as possible.

Here are a few pictures of the first prototype:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/b]

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT

Last edited by agon.parts on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

How does this work?

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Peltier cooler???
Good luck with that. Couldn't even cool a cooler let alone a van interior.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Interesting.

Do you have any real time statistics of its ability to cool?

Obviously there are skeptics who based upon experience and knowledge see this as not possible.
But, obviously man has done many things always thought of as impossible for many many years.

Any performance documentation would be interesting to see.

Honestly, I don't see it being able to cool a vehicle but...... When I was a kid we scoffed at putting man on the moon too.

Good luck!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Quote:
How does this work?

As mentioned above by Wellington:
Quote:
Peltier cooler???

Yes, it does consist of Peltier or solid state coolers.

Quote:
Good luck with that. Couldn't even cool a cooler let alone a van interior.

Thanks for the luck. These types of coolers are used in many different applications, i.e., large-scale commercial equipment cooling, military vehicle/equipment cooling, etc.

The main concern in any application where solid state coolers are used is heat. Since these devices function based on a temperature differential, i.e., the 'cold' side's temperature is relative to the 'hot' side's temperature.

I have designed it in such a way that the maximum amount of heat is transferred to the larger heat-sinks. The inlet of the in-line AC system is equipped with small vents that blow air onto the larger heat-sinks, reducing the temperature further, thus reducing the temperature of the 'cold' heat-sinks on the interior of the device. Since solid state coolers function as either ON or OFF, the small vents that blow air use the stock front blower's speed as a method of designating the temperature, i.e.:

Fan speed: 1, lower air-flow, lower cooling
Fan speed: 2, medium air-flow, medium cooling
Fan speed: 3, higher air-flow, higher cooling.

I will be documenting the performance of the device as I go.

As of now, without the unit installed, the interior heat-sinks get to approximately 60 degrees Fahrenheit / 15 degrees Celsius.

Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

This is a new one on me. I have never heard of this technology.

Seems to me you could get one more module in there if you went to a square cross section instead of round, and transition to round on the ends. But, you're the inventor.

I'm gonna have to put a watch on this topic. Looks very interesting!

Cheers,

Karl

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Also curious about current draw...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

This technology is not new and people have tried to adapt it to automobiles. It works in some applications mainly in electronic devices.

Here is some reading:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/167168/car-a-c-using-peltier-devices-is-it-feasable

Good luck with your project it is fun technology. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

A rough swag of an auto cooling system capacity is 5000 Watts

Thermo tells us it to move energy from the typical ambient to car comfort temperature takes about 1/3 of the cooling capacity or about 1500 Watts.

Thermo also tells us it doesn't matter how we do this - with compressors, Peltier, Bose Einstein condensation, Quantum mechanical tunneling....pick your Poisson.

Once you figure out how to power an auto accessory with 1500 watts power, or 100 Amps at 12 Volts, you are all set.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: In like Flint Reply with quote

If you can rotate that thing backwards, then I'll believe it

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Also curious about current draw...???

With the units wired in series they are pulling ~6 Amps.

Syncro Jael wrote:
This technology is not new and people have tried to adapt it to automobiles. It works in some applications mainly in electronic devices.

Here is some reading:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/167168/car-a-c-using-peltier-devices-is-it-feasable

Good luck with your project it is fun technology. Very Happy

The technology is definitely not new. It has been around for almost 200 years now! Interesting that there are only a few companies who dedicate themselves to developing efficient uses of this technology.

Abscate wrote:
Thermo tells us it to move energy from the typical ambient to car comfort temperature takes about 1/3 of the cooling capacity or about 1500 Watts.

Car comfort temperature is relative to the end-user.

This method focuses on the application of fluid dynamics as a method of increasing the efficiency of the system without the need to draw hundreds of amps.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If you can rotate that thing backwards, then I'll believe it

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

Last edited by agon.parts on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

That was a little inside joke for the longtimers around here. It essentially references the skepticism one can face when taking an unconventional pathway toward achieving a project goal. Carry on.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That was a little inside joke for the longtimers around here. It essentially references the skepticism one can face when taking an unconventional pathway toward achieving a project goal. Carry on.

Haha skepticism is definitely present. It's nothing but motivation Cool

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

I have been doing head scratching on this for a while too. It makes sense if you figure out a way to use a large solar array. At the time I looked at it, it would take the entire top of my Westy, and some ingenuity on some panels on the sides as well. Moisture issues were plaguing my ideas tho. Another side of this, although it is optimized for cooling, it can also be used to heat.

I am "in" on this project, way to go on the design, looking good. If I am guessing right, there may be a need for a handful of these around the cabin of my Westy.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Cooling a Vanagon interior with..

6 watts * 14 Volts = 84 Watt draw.

Popcorn

You can just catch the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics deadline for a paper of AUG 1 if you hurry. Ill be there, so that will be cool to see. It does help to Reynolds wrap your Fan Shroud, or Froude, as they call it.
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I have been doing head scratching on this for a while too. It makes sense if you figure out a way to use a large solar array. At the time I looked at it, it would take the entire top of my Westy, and some ingenuity on some panels on the sides as well. Moisture issues were plaguing my ideas tho. Another side of this, although it is optimized for cooling, it can also be used to heat.

I am "in" on this project, way to go on the design, looking good. If I am guessing right, there may be a need for a handful of these around the cabin of my Westy.

Awesome! Do you have any prototypes/sketches that you have made? If so, it would be great to see.

Yes, the device could be used to heat as well. It would most likely be an easier device to develop. I have tested my prototype by simply inversing the polarity and it heats up quickly. However, you'd still run in to the issue of the temperature differential; one side's temperature is always relative to the opposite's.

Yes, there may be a need to install multiple devices throughout a van.

Abscate wrote:
Cooling a Vanagon interior with..

6 watts * 14 Volts = 84 Watt draw.

Popcorn

I think you mean 6 Amps *14V = 84 Watt draw, but yes, the draw is very low in comparison to other systems.

Last edited by agon.parts on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, but how will the hot side air be removed from the interior? and what about condensate? If you have the ability, temperature delta and airflow numbers across the cold side would be very telling. Not to be a naysayer, but even at 100% efficiency, 84 watts inst a whole lot of heat being removed.

I have one of those on my desk, a small ~40watt unit with a big heat sink and fan on it that I bought just to screw around with. I thought about making some sort of single beer chiller with it but never got around to it. This post just made me fire it back up.

I like the packaging though, 3D printed?
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Keane wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but how will the hot side air be removed from the interior? and what about condensate? If you have the ability, temperature delta and airflow numbers across the cold side would be very telling. Not to be a naysayer, but even at 100% efficiency, 84 watts inst a whole lot of heat being removed.

I have one of those on my desk, a small ~40watt unit with a big heat sink and fan on it that I bought just to screw around with. I thought about making some sort of single beer chiller with it but never got around to it. This post just made me fire it back up.

I like the packaging though, 3D printed?

In regards to the hot-side air being removed from the interior, it technically isn't being removed from the vehicle, but rather cooled within the vehicle.

In regards to condensation, I plan on having the outlet portion of the device fitted with a small weep hole. I designed the device in three parts: inlet, middle, outlet. This will give me the opportunity of testing different options as I go without the need to replicate the entire object (Yes, it was 3D-printed).

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
In regards to the hot-side air being removed from the interior, it technically isn't being removed from the vehicle, but rather cooled within the vehicle.

?? If you are not moving the heat from the interior of the vehicle to the exterior of the vehicle you will not be doing any cooling of the interior air. It sounds a lot like you're trying to plug an extension cord into itself with a Y adapter so you can plug a second device into the loop.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

You can couple the heat back into the electrons and then dissipate the energy climbing back up the potential gradient of the negative terminal of the battery - thus recharging it while you cool.

Is there IP or, even better, an IPA on this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: