Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In-line AC System | In Progress
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Totally agree with Djkeev. I don't get why all the negativity when he is doing all the work, spending his $ and testing his design. What do we all get to lose???

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

What negativity? I haven't seen any negativity in this thread. I've seen helpful people asking questions, pointing out potential issues, and relaying information in an attempt to assist the OP in his quest.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

I don't think I am being negative. The Peltier approach is viable for spot cooling very small areas and is superior to vapour-compression cycle units for such applications in terms of space requirements for the latter. For the large space in a Vanagon and the rate at which high exterior ambient conditions add heat to the Vanagon interior, the Peltier approach is just not doable.

If the goal is reduced to, say, supplying a small amount of cool air to a highly-targeted area, like the driver's face or chest for example, and to leave the rest of the van as is, then the Peltier experiment would likely be successful.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I haven't seen any negativity in this thread.

This thread looks like an aquarium with all you fish he caught swimming in here. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

As an engineer I have to appreciate the ingenuity and effort. I'll stop now.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Some of the comments go beyond a healthy or helpful skepticism. It's his time and money and reputation.

I'm not 100% sure how this replaces a working air conditioner, given that one of the benefits of A/C is dehumidifying the air as it cools it, as Dave pointed out. I wish the engineers who put the A/C as far from the windshield as possible in my van understood how helpful dash-mounted A/C is. But maybe the OP isn't bothered by humidity where he is.

But as I don't have working A/C, this is interesting to follow, assuming the OP doesn't give up on explaining his ideas to a hostile audience.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

If this was a workable concept, I'm thinking Tesla would be using it to cool their electric cars. Instead, they use a compressor powered by an electric motor.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

The latest Tesla is powered by Ben Pons and Fleischmann cold fusion..creates both energy and cold for the AC.
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

An interesting side note: some satellite "batteries" are actually a container filled with radioactive material giving off heat surrounded by tens of thousands of Peltier devices producing the electricity. The idea of electric generation from waste heat is being looked at in industry as a way to capture lost efficiency. Unfortunately, the cost for the devices is still high.

Bo
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of the comments go beyond a healthy or helpful skepticism. It's his time and money and reputation.

Engineers are an unforgiving bunch for a reason. You invest a lot of time and effort mastering some pretty difficult stuff, which is very powerful.

When you see someone violating the Second Law of Thermo, you unhook your wagon from the train pretty quickly.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Depending on what the OPs goals are, there may be some useful outcomes of his experimentation. No one is saying that his learning, experimenting, and testing is pointless. Most of us are tying to point out flaws or unreasonable expectations. Constructive sriticism is not to be confused with negativity (easy to do in a forum with no tone/body language). With technical projects there are technical responses. No one has questioned the OPs commitment, or personal qualities. We are judging the project on its technical merit. Nothing more and nothing less.

Many of those who say something is impossible are simply ignorant. But when someone presents you with scientific fact and math to back it up, its best to take it seriously when they say something is impossible (or at least unfeasible). As a engineering professional, I reserve the use of absolute terms such as impossible except when something is restrained by an inviolate law of physics, or by mechanical/spacial constraints. The reason for this is that I am highly aware of the limits of my own experience.

When embarking on an endeavor it is often easiest to just jump in and start experimenting/experiencing. However in the technical fields, it is best to start by educating oneself. Check out the free MIT online course videos on Thermodynamics and physics. Very Happy
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

First and foremost, it is an embarrassment to see such professionals acting in an arrogant fashion.

I am a professional in the engineering, architectural and robotic fields. I always show respect regardless of another individual's expertise. I have also invested a lot of time mastering some pretty difficult stuff.

Many of the so-called unrealistic expectations stem from assumptions that were made regarding the application of this concept.

Among the many technical fields I am a part of, I have also done numerous studies via MIT OCW.

I am not here to brag about my personal accomplishments, or jump on some bandwagon of perpetual motion. I am merely here to share concepts and develop a professional dialogue that doesn't consist of sarcasm, cartoons, and arrogance.

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

I like what you are doing Forrest, I am seriously interested. My design was nowhere near as elegant, and I appreciate what you are doing very much. Thanks for your hard work. Keep it going.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Same here, i really want to see the result on your design. I have look into using peltier cooling but i don't have the science and engineer background to pursue it. Please keep us updates on your design/testing.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:

Many of the so-called unrealistic expectations stem from assumptions that were made regarding the application of this concept.

Following the thread, I haven't read any unreasonable assumptions based on the information that you provided. Why not just address the concerns rather than writing vague things like "it has been taken into consideration." When someone is vague in explaining how something is done, it communicates certain things, intentional or not.

Many are here for support and constructive criticism and want to help you reach your goal. Backyard tinkerers make the world go round after all.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
First and foremost, it is an embarrassment to see such professionals acting in an arrogant fashion.

Interestingly enough, I believe that is the first personal attack posted so far in this thread.

Quote:

That may well be true, but unfortunately, you have repeatedly refused or abstained from answering direct technical questions about your goals or implementation. Without your input/correction, the best anyone else can do is assume.

I will ask for the FOURTH time... Are you planning on having both the 'hot' and 'cold' heat sinks exposed to the air of the vehicle interior?
schenks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Forrest. Present your ideas when you can. It's very interesting.
'94 Jetta
Old Town Tripper 172
Mad River Courier
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

Thank you to those who are genuinely interested. I'll post updates as I go.

@Andrew A. Libby: I was waiting for you to find the answer to your question.

It can be found on Page 1:

forrest.whitmore wrote:
In regards to the hot-side air being removed from the interior, it technically isn't being removed from the vehicle, but rather cooled within the vehicle.

@Keane: There a thousands of solid-state coolers on the market. I obviously have taken the specifications into consideration in order to make a selection.

Keane wrote:
forrest.whitmore wrote:

Following the thread, I haven't read any unreasonable assumptions based on the information that you provided. Why not just address the concerns rather than writing vague things like "it has been taken into consideration." When someone is vague in explaining how something is done, it communicates certain things, intentional or not.

Many are here for support and constructive criticism and want to help you reach your goal. Backyard tinkerers make the world go round after all.

@Keane:
Does this fall under the definition of support and constructive criticism?
Keane wrote:
Can you cool a house by opening the freezer door and putting a fan in front of it? Without exhausting the hot side air you are essentially doing the same thing.

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: In-line AC System | In Progress Reply with quote

forrest.whitmore wrote:
Thank you to those who are genuinely interested. I'll post updates as I go.

@Andrew A. Libby: I was waiting for you to find the answer to your question.

It can be found on Page 1:

forrest.whitmore wrote:
In regards to the hot-side air being removed from the interior, it technically isn't being removed from the vehicle, but rather cooled within the vehicle.

That doesn't answer the very specific question that I have repeatedly asked. It is a vague answer that at best implies a complete violation of the laws of thermodynamics. That 'answer' is the reason I have repeatedly asked the more specific question.

Take 5: Are you planning on having both the 'hot' and 'cold' heat sinks exposed to the air of the vehicle interior?

A simple 'Yes' answer would suffice and go to show a design concept that cannot work or perhaps a complete misrepresentation of what the project goals are. A 'No' answer would require further explanation as to how you plan on mounting the device and routing the airflow in order to isolate the 'hot' side air from the 'cold' side air.

forrest.whitmore wrote:
@Keane: Does this fall under the definition of support and constructive criticism?
Keane wrote:
Can you cool a house by opening the freezer door and putting a fan in front of it? Without exhausting the hot side air you are essentially doing the same thing.

I'll butt in and say it most definitely does fall under the definition of support and constructive criticism.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: