Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle - Build thread?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Got all of the steering in today and the dampner. Started to assemble the struts/brakes for install but I never received my replacement upper strut mounts (one of my original bearings has a little catch in it when rotated) and I was missing a the inserts for the camber kit mounts so I could not install the lower control arms.

Parts will arrive this week so I will finish up the suspension/brakes next week. Tomorrow maybe fix finish up the wiring/dash replacement or start putting the rear fenders on the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Suspension work continues most of it is in now, just need to torque everything when I sit it on the ground. I also need an offset 22mm for the upper strut nut since I cant find anything else to fit in there to torque it.

Tomorrow will be brakes and maybe start putting the wiper motor back in depending how much time I have. I am commuting to another city during the week for work this month so progress is slow.

One hiccup I did have was the car had a broken tab for one of the eccentric lower control arm plates. So I got under there and welded a small piece in...it is pretty ugly since I had left my welding helmet at work I was doing it with my eyes closed and flying blind.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Brakes are on, all of the topline stuff went on easy and looks good. Sadly had to end it short to get ready to travel for the week. Next week I will get the tires on and back on the ground for alignment. Retorque everything and then take it for a spin to see how it feels.

I also received some great looking LEDs from VintagecarLED with the German Hella lenses so I am excited to get those in the car soon.

Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Looks good. Why did you decide you needed the bump steer kit? Are you planning extreme low stance? Looks like the track rod might end up close to the anti-roll bar...
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
Looks good. Why did you decide you needed the bump steer kit? Are you planning extreme low stance? Looks like the track rod might end up close to the anti-roll bar...

It was recommended if I was going lower than 2 inches once everything is compressed they should not be close. I may autocross the car so i figured i might as well do it while I am in there. If there is an issue it is no big deal to flip around now that it is machined with a tapered bushing.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

One of the control arm ears was bent out on my 1974, fortunately it was weldable. But I also bought from Topline their camber+kit.

I suspect these control arm ears get bent or broken because people try to adjust the camber at home with the tires sitting on the ground (as they should), but they lack an alignment shop's rack which has movable plates at each end for the tires (and the weight of the car) to rest on while performing the adjustment. Without a proper rack, the tires simply grip your immovable garage floor, and the control arm ears get bent out of shape. Once they bend too far--or break off--camber adjustment is difficult, or impossible, to obtain.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Everything installed and brakes bled today. Got the car back on the ground and took it around the neighborhood. Everything felt ok and the car really stops now...pulled a bit to the left so I will have to fix that. I only took it to about 35mph since it was cold and there is no windshield, pretty sure the neighbors think i am crazy.

Next up is headliner I am still trying to trade some paint work and rebuilding an electric motor to a professional interior guy so I do not have to do it.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Feels good don't it
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Not much getting done with traveling for work the past couple of weeks. I did get the new distributor in from forum member wcfvw69. Went right in, static timing, started right up. Adjusted just a bit but did not get to drive it because it was raining (and I have not installed the windshield or doors yet!). I might get some time tomorrow to work on the car but Sunday I am back on the road.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

That engine is looking good. Nice and stock.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread ! I agree with everyone that complimented the color VERY NICE . I plan to use the same color on mine.
dagen_1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

just joined the forum, recently picked up a 74 super.. following your build.. great color (as everyone has mentioned)..
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

dagen_1 wrote:
just joined the forum, recently picked up a 74 super.. following your build.. great color (as everyone has mentioned)..

Make a thread for your 74 and get some pictures up! I like seeing other curved window supers out there.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Still not much getting done, traveling for work, and the toploader in the 66 fastback had some issues so I had to put 2 days of work into that getting back on the road. I do not need 2 classics taken apart at once.

Topline bar installed up front, windshield wiper motor cleaned, bearings greased, and put back in, still have to wire it. Drove the car with the SVDA and it finally has the advance curve it should. Hopefully more time for this project next week.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

The work continues with 2 steps forward 1 step back. The dash I got cleaned up and ready for a new cover to be glued on, all of the wiring for instruments fixed (I had run 1 ground for the VDO gauges which did not work), windshield wipers in and wired to a temporary switch while I decide how to fix that (the parts have been removed from the column by the previous owner.)

The only gauge that did not work was the fuel gauge, but I had never filled the tank either. So I tried that...and the tank leaked out of a pinhole. So I will have to get that replaced but the old tank came out and I POR15d beneath it.

I am still putting off doing the headliner because I hate doing that work but it looks like maybe next weekend.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Alright back to where I was a week ago before the hole in the gas tank. I found a junkyard 74 tank with a German OE sending unit that works. Got those installed and the gas gauge still does not work so I am going to have to pull the speedomoter and check the vibrator.

Dragged out the interior and the headliner and laid them out so the creases fall out. Traveling again for work this week so another slow week of progress likely. I did have an interior pro come look this morning and he wants to trade a rebuild of a compressor for doing the headliner and carpet so I may take him up on it.

I like the saddle with the marina blue.

brcron007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Great build thread ! She really looks good. I agree with everyone else the Marina Blue looks SHARP !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Let the pro do the interior--if he's good.

That "saddle" seat cover is "tan", or at least it looks that way on my iPad. But it looks good with the blue.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Yeah, that tan does look good... nice work overall btw!! I may go the tan route also if I decide to keep my marina blue '74. The stock black is so drab although in excellent condition (on mine)

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Let the pro do the interior--if he's good.

That "saddle" seat cover is "tan", or at least it looks that way on my iPad. But it looks good with the blue.

Tim

I will have to look I dont even remember what I ordered, maybe it was tan with oatmeal carpet.

The pro is good he does all of the local show cars including the big money mopar stuff and 50s customs. He is in our car club so that is why he is willing to trade the work. I like doing stuff myself though and have done a bunch of interiors...i just dislike it and with traveling for work so much this year will likely let him do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: