Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle - Build thread?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
Okay I'm officially in love with the paint. What was your process? (Product names would be fantastic)

Its all Omni products and euro primer/clearcoat. Same stuff i had sprayed on my fastback and it still looks great 15 years later.

epoxy:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Primer fiiller (4:1) surfacer (4:1:1):

base:

Clear:

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

ok so I need to get serious about ordering the rest of the items to put this thing back together. I received all of the seals/rubber/interior and tim was right the saddle/brown/oatmeal looks great with the blue. So now I need the engine and suspension stuff since i do not want to install fenders until they are done.

Engine:

I have a 34 pict 3 from volkblitz and a swap meet header that I bought with a rusted out muffler, I welded on a thrush turbo 2" (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17711/overview/) so should be good to go there.

All german tin/tstat painted and ready to go, generator brushes look ok. I thought about doing 1.25 ratio rockers but is it really worth it?

Suspension/brakes:

Disk brake kit, New sport springs, struts, rear shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering damper, all new bushings, rest should be good.

Aiming for finishing by March and enjoying the car as a sunny day commuter/driver car....while building a bigger engine.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Have you all the parts for your sun roof? I bought a new seal for mine and it was a bitch to get the sun roof to close all the way. I ended up removing some of the white rubber from the front interior of the seal. Adjustment is sooooo easy without the seal, but you need it Rolling Eyes .

If you're extremely careful, you can install the exterior roof without having to use marking tape on the edges. But if you do use tape, be sure to rub it on your jeans first (makes it less sticky).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Have you all the parts for your sun roof? I bought a new seal for mine and it was a bitch to get the sun roof to close all the way. I ended up removing some of the white rubber from the front interior of the seal. Adjustment is sooooo easy without the seal, but you need it Rolling Eyes .

If you're extremely careful, you can install the exterior roof without having to use marking tape on the edges. But if you do use tape, be sure to rub it on your jeans first (makes it less sticky).

Tim

I did get the sunroof parts they are in a pile of boxes somewhere, I remember looked at the seals thinking they were thick as hell. But I also bought the German door seals kit since this is going to be a driver and they look the same way.
73vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Nice build! I painted my wife's 73 convertible marina blue with a 71 alpine white inserts and used oatmeal and off white inside.
I used nasans paint, single stage but we mixed 50% clear into it at the last coat.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Both beautiful cars. Great work!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

That vert is a beauty.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

73vert wrote:
Nice build! I painted my wife's 73 convertible marina blue with a 71 alpine white inserts and used oatmeal and off white inside.
I used nasans paint, single stage but we mixed 50% clear into it at the last coat.

It looks great in the two tone and that interior. I received the seat covers today from TMI and the saddle is going to look pretty good.

One question i have though is my dash is pretty beat up so I am going to have to use the plastic cover on it. Has anyone tried a vinyl die to get it back to a more consistent black where it is sun faded?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

I've seen some that were painted. They looked pretty good, but I don't know what paint sticks to vinyl. Maybe Krylon for plastic. One of these paint jobs on a curved-window SUper Beetle was done in a light tan. It looked pretty good, but it offered no contrast.

One idea is the Dashmat for Super Beetles. They make a nice one that looks like brushed suede. Many colors available. I thought about getting one, even though my dash looks fine (actually, I have a dash cover), but never got around to it. I have the suede-look Dashmats on my PT Cruisr and del sol, and they look pretty good.

So you ended up with saddle for your upholstery? That's the color I got by accident (a Christmas gift). I originally wanted tan, but that color looked too dark in Jbugs catalogue. Anyway, I installed the saddle and decided the mistake was a good one. The color looked great. I can't wait to see yours with that green/blue exterior.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I've seen some that were painted. They looked pretty good, but I don't know what paint sticks to vinyl. Maybe Krylon for plastic. One of these paint jobs on a curved-window SUper Beetle was done in a light tan. It looked pretty good, but it offered no contrast.

One idea is the Dashmat for Super Beetles. They make a nice one that looks like brushed suede. Many colors available. I thought about getting one, even though my dash looks fine (actually, I have a dash cover), but never got around to it. I have the suede-look Dashmats on my PT Cruisr and del sol, and they look pretty good.

So you ended up with saddle for your upholstery? That's the color I got by accident (a Christmas gift). I originally wanted tan, but that color looked too dark in Jbugs catalogue. Anyway, I installed the saddle and decided the mistake was a good one. The color looked great. I can't wait to see yours with that green/blue exterior.

Tim

oops no the interior (seats/door cards) was the Jbugs Tan, which is a bit darker than the saddle.

And I rolled the car outside and I can still see some of the runs in the sunlight if you are at the right angle. But I am in the screw it I need to put it together and drive it phase so I will fix the paint later....or never.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

still working on finish up cutting the clear, getting rid of runs, touch ups, and getting fenders ready for paint. Plan is to paint the rest of the pieces (fenders, license plate cover, hinges) that need color over Christmas weekend and start reassembly in the new year.

miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

When you do your seat covers, put them in the clothes dryer for 10 min. to soften them up. A lot easier to work them on. The car is looking great!!! Jeff
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

miller0358 wrote:
When you do your seat covers, put them in the clothes dryer for 10 min. to soften them up. A lot easier to work them on. The car is looking great!!! Jeff

Thanks for the tip I will have to give that a shot, in the past I have always tried to stretch them in front of a space heater for a while...dont know why I never thought of the dryer.

One of the guys in my car club owns an interior shop and is trying to trade some painting work for doing my headliner and interior but I am pretty sick of painting at this point Confused
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

At the least, make the deal for the headliner. They are doable but a real pain. I've done both of my cars, and hated every bit of it. Jeff
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

miller0358 wrote:
At the least, make the deal for the headliner. They are doable but a real pain. I've done both of my cars, and hated every bit of it. Jeff

I've done 2 as well. My '64 came out great, my '72 is not quite a disaster, but it's not good and I'll have to redo it. I would GLADLY trade labor for something I could do in order to have a pro do my headliner... Take the deal!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

g
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Parts are all top coated/sealed so tomorrow morning it will be wetsand and finish spraying the color. I am ready to be done with painting and get on to assembly. I forgot to take pictures so here are a couple my parents sent me of when I was about 2 helping dad with his beetle.

[/img]
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Nice pictures, Nice memories. Jeff
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

and that is it...paint complete. No runs this time either I think I finally figured out the right speed and gun settings for a really nice clear coat. So the next car should be a lot better Razz

Last edited by Hatracks on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Great color. You can paint my car next and work on those techniques lol.

Cool old school pictures. My mom has a few of me(amd brothers) around my dad and uncles as they worked on their cars and the memories are great.

Merry Christmas!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: