Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

With the body on it was really cool to see the OG paint body and the fresh pan come together so seamlessly. Literally NO rust on this car anywhere. Its so easy to build a rust free car like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I stuck an 8mm spacer on for now but I have a 13mm spacer and longer lugs to install later. I want the rear poked out just a but more.

Now we were ready to get the steering box installed.

But first the billet cap and chromed rag joint connectors with polished hardware.

Personally I really dig the old meets new parts on this build, Like the OG column and the new steering components.

New powder coated tie rods installed.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/aircooledvintageworks/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Nice work on that pan, super nice. seems a shame to cover it with that tatty old shell, when are you gunna paint it? Laughing
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Wrapping up some loose ends on the chassis, we safety wired the shift coupler and put the cover on.

And back inside I installed the gray powder coated Ebrake handle with new gray button. It should match the interior and carpet very nicely once I get to that step of the rebuild.

At this point the brakes were bled, trans was filled, and parking brake cables were run and set. Everything functioned perfectly.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

SO, this is where we ended up. Starting on Wed morning with a bare pan, by Friday the car was assembled and body was back on. Not bad for 3 days of steady working on it. I have to admit that looking at the car now, it came out better than I had planned on and yes, I think I may have overdone it on the fasteners and polishing but Its nicer than I imagined and I like it. After we made it a roller we pushed it outside for some photos. It really was a great feeling seeing Ruby match the picture I had in my head when I first tore her apart.

So as of today this is where the car is in the build process. I have some buffing left to do on the body and then it will go off to West Coast Classics to get the head liner installed. The motor is getting built at Paradise and it will come home and have the glass, carpets, rubber and chrome installed before the motor goes in. Still a bunch to do but it looks like a car again and its very close!

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Nice work on that pan, super nice. seems a shame to cover it with that tatty old shell, when are you gunna paint it? Laughing

Haha! Very Happy I think the beauty of this build to me is that no one will really ever see all the work that went into the pan on this car unless they spot the details and look closer. I like that part of it for sure but no doubt a lot of people won't get it and ask the same question but in a serious manner.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

That's my favorite thing with patina style cars, that contrast between the old paint and shiny chrome rims, and as for over doing the fasteners etc, the best thing about overkill, is you can never have to much overkill!

again, nice work.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

jasonvw wrote:
After stripping off all the bolt on parts from the pan like the shifter, brake, etc I decided to tackle the tar boards. Lots of guys will just chip into it with a screw driver and a hammer, or use a heat gun and then try to pull it up but both of those methods leave lots of nasty tar you still have to deal with. I decided to go a different route. I bought several pounds of dry ice and then a few bottles of isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol which you can get at a drug store. Break up the dry ice in a large bucket and add a few bottles of the alcohol to it and presto, you have liquid nitrogen, sort of Wink Mix them together and then pour it on the tar board, it will immediately start crackling and making noise. Thats the tar board freezing and pulling off the pan. After the noise slows down, about 2 minutes, grab the tar board with some thick gloves and it will pull right off the pan leaving no mess!

And after about 40 minutes the flat pans were done.

Next step is getting the center tunnel done.

I'm on page 2 - this project is MINT & that was the most scientifically satisfying trick I have seen on the samba! WICKED!

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
jasonvw wrote:
After stripping off all the bolt on parts from the pan like the shifter, brake, etc I decided to tackle the tar boards. Lots of guys will just chip into it with a screw driver and a hammer, or use a heat gun and then try to pull it up but both of those methods leave lots of nasty tar you still have to deal with. I decided to go a different route. I bought several pounds of dry ice and then a few bottles of isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol which you can get at a drug store. Break up the dry ice in a large bucket and add a few bottles of the alcohol to it and presto, you have liquid nitrogen, sort of Wink Mix them together and then pour it on the tar board, it will immediately start crackling and making noise. Thats the tar board freezing and pulling off the pan. After the noise slows down, about 2 minutes, grab the tar board with some thick gloves and it will pull right off the pan leaving no mess!

And after about 40 minutes the flat pans were done.

Next step is getting the center tunnel done.

I'm on page 2 - this project is MINT & that was the most scientifically satisfying trick I have seen on the samba! WICKED!

Thanks a lot! I really hope other people will try this out. Its a huge time saver and leaves almost nothing that needs to be cleaned up afterwards. Keep following along, more is coming.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

I'm ready! - this build is really unique! Smile Like it.

You don't see many threads on the high end build cars - which I think is a shame as there is alot of information there for everyone. This is a later car and kind of a lower end build (in comparison - no offence intended), but it has loads of ques from your experience with the high end stuff. I've always liked the later cars but this build is making me look differently at them.

Really interesting taking a car that honestly I would have not originally changed and seeing your take on it.

It also confirms that even thought stock height is the default height for my 60 travel bus - it will have to experience "slammed on earlies" one day!!!

Fantastic - cant wait for updates.

Braukuche wrote:
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

a comparison shot of the OG paint before and after some buffer action.

Its hard to top those old VW single stage paints.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

The motor is currently going together but to catch up on the pre build, I had Paradise Motorsports give the case a once over. I started with a 1600 single port B case that had a pretty easy life.

This is the motor that came with the car and ran pretty well aside from some minor carb issues I talked about on page one. Paradise machined the case and checked it all out. Gave it a clean bill of health so the 1800cc build could start.

Internal machine work looking fresh and new

I then masked off the holes and started to shoot the case in single stage Black.

I see guys do this with aerosol cans and it never comes out looking quite right. The single stage is nice and smooth out of the gun and I'm hoping it doesn't flake off from heat. I guess we will find out.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

Last edited by jasonvw on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Nice been looking for an update on this Cool

Braukuche wrote:
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

nice amigo, nice
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the final unveiling.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Great work ! nice car ..

.Upon further study I learned that on a car as early as yours the plugged off sensor doesn't matter ; your year does not tie into the warning circuit .

My apologies .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Great work ! nice car ...
I'm concerned for the next guy who reads this that you might have done something that compromises safety .
By " plugging up " 1/2 of the new dual master you have removed the brake light switch that would indicate a problem with that half of the divided master .
It would be possible to loose half of your brakes and not know it until you lost the other half and then you get no brakes at all ....

May I suggest to the next builder ( and a change for you if you want ) a simple jumper between the two halves . the Blue connectors have a piggy back connection for your single circuit wiring .

Nice considerate, informative post - thanks!

Braukuche wrote:
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Motor build in full swing on the 1800 Single Port.

A quick run down, I am running a Counterweight 72mm crank, H beam 5.4 rods, Machine in 88mm pistons, Engle 100 cam and straight cut gears. heads are the OG single ports that Paradise stripped, cleaned and machined to run bigger valves, mild port job and match ported the manifolds to my ICT webers. I chose HD single springs for the valves. I ran 1.1 Scat HD rocker set ups on HD shafts. I followed the formula for this engine that is laid out on the Air-cooled.net website and I expect the motor should be a really solid performer

I powder coated the carb tops, covers and manifolds in semi gloss black. Waiting on my black plugs to arrive but this is the idea.

And a shot of my front apron after the last glazing. Thats pretty strong OG paint reflection.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Since I went this far, I decided it would make sense to rebuild the door windows and renew the rubber since it was dead and cracking everywhere. Here is what it looked like after years of use. Peeling chrome, puckered rubber and cracks everywhere.

After taking out all the rubber the channel was in excellent condition.

Wolfsburg west vent windows went on with really nice chrome and perfect fit. Divider bar chrome too and fresh rubber. It was kind of a nightmare getting the vent wing rubber seal in but in the end some WD-40 did the trick and lots of prying with a plastic screwdriver.

I did myself a favor and bought the German scraper/trim and the fit was excellent. The Brazilian stuff I have seen is no where near as nice. In the end it was a tight fit but the roll up glass goes up and down very smoothly and the vent windows open and close up super tight.

After this I stuck the car outside for a few hours in the sun and the rubber smoothed out some. A day or so in the sun will finish off the job. Im really happy with how this came out and it was well worth the time invested to do it. Visually it cleans up the look of the car. No more dead rubber or peeling chrome!

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

So now that all the messy stuff is all done, I elected to put on all the new chrome and trim parts. The fade on the hood is pretty killer.

Fresh chrome and detailed emblem and new polished trim look awesome on that Ruby red patina

Body trim and antenna on.

Tail light and fresh fender beading in

And finally the restored headlights went back in position.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Next up was getting the gas tank all back together and in the car. I had the tank blasted, boiled out, and then powdercaoted in gloss black.

I added some new tank hold downs from Fast Fab in black anodized Billet. The hardware is going to be polished but for now I just bolted the tank in place to get it out of my way while I assemble the car. I chromed the gas gap and the sending unit cap. Im happy with how this all came out. Looks much better than what I started with.
Before:

After:

I also had the inspection covers powder coated too so everything matches in here now.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: