Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Question for you folks: being that I've never purchased an older classic car of any type, I'm wondering what's recommended for payment exchange. Let's assume I have cash and I'm going to be traveling up to 200-300 miles to checkout a car/s. I plan to learn as much as I can about each car before I go see it, but the truth is I may come home empty handed. So, do I bring cash with me? Cashiers check? Meet at a bank? Etc? I will most likely be bringing a flatbed trailer that I have access to. I realize I need to do a lot more homework on how to determine what's a good deal for my money and what's worth buying, but right now I'm curious about how most folks recommend a safe $ exchange.

In addition what's the etiquette on maybe asking someone or trying to find someone local to the area to help you go through the car before purchase?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to join the VW family!

Jake
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Jakeg1999 wrote:
Question for you folks: being that I've never purchased an older classic car of any type, I'm wondering what's recommended for payment exchange. Let's assume I have cash and I'm going to be traveling up to 200-300 miles to checkout a car/s. I plan to learn as much as I can about each car before I go see it, but the truth is I may come home empty handed. So, do I bring cash with me? Cashiers check? Meet at a bank? Etc? I will most likely be bringing a flatbed trailer that I have access to. I realize I need to do a lot more homework on how to determine what's a good deal for my money and what's worth buying, but right now I'm curious about how most folks recommend a safe $ exchange.

In addition what's the etiquette on maybe asking someone or trying to find someone local to the area to help you go through the car before purchase?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to join the VW family!

Jake

When I bought my car I paid in cash. Maybe ask the seller ahead of time what he wants to do?

I know it's unlikely, but if you find something near me I have no problem taking at look at it for you.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Yes, if you are going in person I don't see a problem bringing cash.

If it was a ton of cash ($10K? $15K?) and I was worried about safety I might prefer to go when we could then travel to the bank for the cash or hide it somewhere in my car first.

The only problem with going to the bank is sometimes banks no longer have that kind of cash on hand... or they are not willing to give it you without prior notification. I know I had to do that when I wanted $25K a few years ago.

You can post in the Forums to see if anyone can help you look at something.
If it's an ad on the Internet you could always ask for feedback from other people on here too.
There is always the chance someone else might be interested if you bring it to their attention though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Thanks everettb, I do feel ok with the amount of cash I plan to spend, and I was curious what other folks do and both replies above make me feel better about what my thoughts were. I've found a couple cars on here that I thought about linking to this thread for feedback and I may do so. I'm still trying to read up and watch some videos on what to look for in a purchase. I also need to learn what is easy or cheap to fix so I don't get hung up on something that needs repair. My plan is to compile a list of questions for a seller with a side list of deal breakers and things that are too expensive to repair. I definitely want to learn how to work on it and do repairs and maybe even restore a different one some day, but for this purchase I want to get something that's basically turn key and is as reliable and finished as possible without being above my budget. As a side note I'm still open to any year but I have been searching and leaning towards 63-66 with 66 being my preference thus far. Jake
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

If you have time to kill Chris Vallone has a 8 parts video series on how to buy a bug.

Here's part one
https://youtu.be/UzM80SyM6L8

Check out his other videos as well. Lots of great how-to's on his channel.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

The banks are also required to report large cash transactions, both on the withdrawal side & the deposit side. One of my buddies got a visit from some gov entity asking about a withdrawal he made to purchase a car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

That's good to know, I'll pull my cash out in a couple transactions.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

I bought my 71 SB in Sacramento in 2012 for $5K and it is completely rust free and runs great:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The morning after I picked it up. I drove it back all across the country.

I took cash.

I should also say, I had an independent VW shop give it a complete inspection before I pulled the trigger.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

That's a nice looking 71', and that's great that you drove her cross country, that actually sounds like something I would love to do!
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Ok, so I am starting to wrap my head around a few things and have a rough idea of what I am looking for. As of right now my first choice is a 1966, but I am open to anything really prior to 1968. I am looking for something in the $4k-$7k range. No rust, classic look, mostly finished/restored but doesn't have to be perfect. I prefer no salvage title or major damage. No rust, clean lines, and a decent to nice interior. If it runs great that is a bonus, but I imagine I could find a decent motor for it. Basically looking for a nice clean, classic looking car with good alignment of doors, hoods, etc. and matching pan/body numbers would be bonus......I am planning to drive a few hundred miles or so for the right one as I have access to a flatbed trailer.

I am open to feedback on my my thoughts above and always looking for advice......Jake
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

So far here are three that I have my eye on, I have not contacted the owners just yet.....any thoughts, feedback?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1946403

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1918629

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1922040
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

I've made contact with the guy selling the above 66 light blue and am learning more about the car. I have exchanged a few emails with the seller and it looks pretty good but I'm still unsure. If anyone would be up for maybe letting me pm them some questions and maybe share some of the info I'm getting on the bug that would be awesome. If not no sweat, I completely understand. I'm just trying to make sure I get a fair deal and I don't want to jump on the first good car if it's not really worth it, especially since this car is over 500mi away.

Jake
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Check the Samba club listing for a club local to the seller. You may be able to arrange for an in-person checkout. They may even be familiar with the car.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

There's a ton more people on here that know way more than me, but you can PM me if you want. I'll answer what I can.

Don't hold me to this, but I MIGHT be able to look at the '66 on Monday for you. I'm leaving for Oregon tomorrow and coming back on Monday. If it's not too late when I'm getting back I may be able to swing through Petaluma on my way back home.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
If you have time to kill Chris Vallone

What do you have against him? Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Thanks CAG for the offer, I really appreciate that. That's awesome for you to offer that. I've now made contact with another member on here and he is helping me out as well and I'm planning to have that particular car brought in to a local shop up there that has good reviews and I'm going to pay for a pre-buyer checkout. So I think I should be able to get a good idea of the total condition here real soon. Thanks for your offer though and enjoy your trip! Hopefully I can post pics of my new ride here in the future, I'm just trying to make sure I don't jump at the first good deal and that I get a decent car for my money! Have a safe trip to Oregon! Jake
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

That's funny! Been watching his videos, thanks for the link.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Funny guy Laughing

Jakeg1999 wrote:
Thanks CAG for the offer, I really appreciate that. That's awesome for you to offer that. I've now made contact with another member on here and he is helping me out as well and I'm planning to have that particular car brought in to a local shop up there that has good reviews and I'm going to pay for a pre-buyer checkout. So I think I should be able to get a good idea of the total condition here real soon. Thanks for your offer though and enjoy your trip! Hopefully I can post pics of my new ride here in the future, I'm just trying to make sure I don't jump at the first good deal and that I get a decent car for my money! Have a safe trip to Oregon! Jake

That's awesome you found someone at a shop to go over it. If it all works out and you end up buying it here's what you need to do. Come up here next Friday. Fly, train, one way car rental, etc. Then on Saturday morning drive the bug back to San Diego. Seems how I have family in San Diego I'll gladly join along in my '66 for....uh....moral support and to make sure you make it home Laughing
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

Hi. That blue '66 looks to be a fine car. And the '66 year model is very nice too.
If you have a pro shop look it over consider having hose clams installed on the fuel hoses. Don't like the filter there also, but it should be of when correctly clamped to get it home, if it gets to that point. Also, have the shop verify the mounting of the voltage regulator onto the fan shroud. I have seen guys use sheetmetal screws and if vibrated loose, might allow the regulator to drop and cause an electrical short/fire. These newer solid state regulators are nice but the housing is 12v, if you can believe that!
You also can ask me anything and will give you my opinion or what others do.
If you do buy it, inform your insurance carrier. Do you have a good tow plan, if needed?
Hope this helps, Bill.
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Reply with quote

All great information and feedback. Thanks as always! A little update: I've made contact with several folks, the blue 66 mentioned above isn't going to work out for me as it has much more rust than I want to deal with after seeing more photos. There is a pretty nice 64 I like but it's at the max of my price range and 500mi away. Trying to work that one out but it's not going all that smooth, there's a few things that make me leery about the deal. So that got me thinking of expanding my budget a bit and staying within a 2hrs drive and of course consider just being very patient for the right deal. I am going to go see a 66 this morning that is supposed to be original, clean body, good everything but needs paint and interior. I'm doing tons of reading on the net, bought the John Muir bible, and I'm starting to slowly get a handle on what to look for in a bug.

A couple questions I have for you guys is: How important is it to find one with an uncut dash? I realize that's a personal thing but I prefer the classical look, and hope to get something that increases its value over time as I plan to have it for a long time. Can a dash be replaced on a 66 and older car? Do all aftermarket stereos require the dash to be cut? I have seen quite a few in photos that look to be about the same size as the stock radio? Should I even be worrying about this? I am not too worried about not having a radio/stereo as I plan to just use my iPhone and a Bluetooth speaker. Most of the cars I'm finding have a cut stereo slot. Also can a car that has had the beam narrowed and drop spindles be returned to stock? Could you install a stock beam? Lastly, do most folks also install a car alarm?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: