Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water in the gas
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Water in the gas Reply with quote

Ok If it was carbs it would be running again. Some back round, it's a 91 Jetta 1.8 gas that my son got from his Grandmother and it is the epitome of the little old lady car. 68000 miles up until last week it ran fine, my son stopped by one of the cheapie gas stations that we have up here and put 5 gallons in, well it did make it the 35 miles to the house but died and wouldn't start not even a pop. We changed the fuel filter thinking that because he had run it so low that it was plugged but when we pulled the old filter and dumped the remaining fuel in a metal drain pan it didn't have a gas smell and when we tried to light it, it would put out the paper towel even a propane torch would not set it on fire. When we drained the tank we got about 2 gallons of water out of it. So far we have drained the fuel pump and lines and the fuel rail and per the recommendation of the local VW service center up here(it's 75 miles away) we changed the injectors and now it will fire and run momentarily but dies after two to three seconds... so what am I missing on this thing, is it something simple or should I take it out to the back 40 and give it the colonel potter treatment. :2gunfire:
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

You might try flushing it again. The FI cars recirculate the fuel, so you could still have water in it. Pretty sure the 91's have a pre-pump and then a pump, are both working?
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

So Finally got my son back to work on his car.. He is busy, EMT and working a second job so I can't give him too much grief. We had drained the fuel return line when we were doing the tank as I had thought of that and yes this thing does have a pre-pump in the tank that we removed yesterday and nope it doesn't work so he's hoping to get one today and we will give that a try as he's running the wheels off of my plow truck. I'll give everyone an update when and if he finds a pump, thanks for the help.
olspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

HI all, I'm olspeed's kid. so we got the pre pump in and it stared up and ran for a few moments. I killed it and went in for the night but came out the next morning to start it and now it wont start again or even fire. checked both pumps and they are working. Not quite sure were to go next. It is getting fuel up to the log on the injectors. Could water have taken something else out? Sad
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

Spark?
olspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

yes it has spark. and if you spin it over for 15 to 20 seconds (kinda hard on my starter) it will fire one or two cylinders but will not start.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

Pull a plug and see if it's wet.
olspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

Hi all. Pulled all plugs,they all were carbon'd but the last two were a little wet. I just did a fuel pressure test at the log and found its at 40-45 Psi. From what I found online that's within spec. I have also noticed that my battery is draining. All lights and anything else is off but if we let it sit a few days the battery doesn't have enough juice to even turn the starter. I don't know if this might be part of my fuel problem. at this point I don't know where to go other than to let my dad take it out back and give it the colonel Potter Treatment. Sad
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

Charge the battery.....a low battery won't recharge from sitting, it'll just get lower. And while you are buying tools, get a Bently manual for the car and follow the troubleshooting procedures within it.
olspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

Battery is on the charger and he's looking for a book but it looks like we are going to have to order one as there doesn't seem to be one available up here, I've called around and I haven't even been able to a Haynes manual let alone a Bentley.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trks...p;_sacat=0
olspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trks...p;_sacat=0

TKS
Ordered, should be here next week. I still can't believe no one carries a book for this thing up here as there are still a ton of them running around.
olspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

So yesterday my son came in telling me that he had found a book at one of the local FLAPS it's a Haynes and looks like it was used... dirty finger prints and all. Well we at least got the vacuum diagram from it and that helped as it runs and will accelerate now but the idle is way to low, it will drop back down to 400-500 hundred and just barely run oil light flickers and such. Anyway the Bentley manual hit today and with a quick comparison we might as well throw the Haynes in the trash or take it back. So now to figure out what the idle problem is, I'll be reading that section here shortly and I just might get my truck back! thanks for the help.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in the gas Reply with quote

Check out the procedure for setting the timing, you have to disconnect and plug the idle air lines and a CTS to tell ecu it is in a timing setting mode. And check for vacuum leaks, as usual.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: