Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting burned by a fellow VW guy
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
59rubyrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Getting burned by a fellow VW guy Reply with quote

Well this is just my story and what happened to me. A few years ago I saved every dollar I could get together for about a year or so. Just hoping that one day I would have enough to do all buy another VW. One day while going through the 58-67 T-1 I finally found my dream had come true. I found a 59 rag with a 2276 and scat interior everything I wanted and more. After buying the car I realized it needed work on the mega squirt efi system. So it sat for a bit till I could afford what it needed. After spending a few grand more it was finally almost ready. The only problem was I needed a runner that wouldn't let me down. So I put her for sale but with no takers I looked for trades. That's when it all turned bad! A guy that I recently met had a 66 square back which he said only needed paint. So me being the trusting person I am I traded him site unseen. When the car was dropped off at night I couldn't tell what I got till the next day. It was a rust bucket no interior and needed everything. I called and told him I wanted my car back but he said the deal was done and it was my problem now. Now I have no car lost out over 7000 on the 59 and no way to buy another bug. It just hurts that someone who is a fellow VW nut and says there a friend would do this to another person in our community. It just hurts when I have so very little and to have the last good thing in my life taken from me makes my heart hurt. So if your reading this please don't let it happen to you. I guess ill be walking to try and look for work to hopefully one day buy another dream!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Getting burned by a fellow VW guy Reply with quote

They say there's one born every day. I dunno what your birthday is but you sound like the one for that day. Sorry for you loss, hopefully you learned something from it.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Getting burned by a fellow VW guy Reply with quote

Scammers play on your trust and your good nature. They pretend to be offended when you ask to see what they're offering. A reputable person will understand that you are just being cautious.

Beware anyone that says you should trust them sight unseen. Don't be afraid of offending them. In fact, you should be offended yourself that they would think you will give away your hard-earned money and possessions without knowing exactly what you are getting in return.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
59rubyrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting burned by a fellow VW guy Reply with quote

I guess I should have explained that I didn't just meet this guy. I had known him for a few months and he had never given me a reason to not trust him. Also that he had helped me work on my car and was always straight up with me. Now that I look back I see that all this was to get my guard down so he could take advantage of my trusting nature. From the moment he first seen I had something he wanted everything after was to get what he wanted no matter how it hurt me. It feels like I was conned and pick pocketed all at the same time.
Misterbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting burned by a fellow VW guy Reply with quote

I am new here so I really cannot explain exactly how/why I found this post, was looking for something else. Anyway, ...I have to add that if there is a time to get mad now is it. If that is something new to you at least try and fake it through emails/letters possibly claiming to have spoken to an attorney and quote some fraud or contractual laws he may use to get him into huge trouble you can research possible laws. Even if you have to mis-quote them to have them sound in your favor you will never sink as low as he has.
If this has just happened today or yesterday you might want to make a switch late tonight have a friend help. No checks cashed/no deal then file for a duplicate title in the morning.
Just idea's not advise. Push back Hard! There really are laws out there to protect you from bad car deals...ACT FAST.
Bill
Misterbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting burned by a fellow VW guy Reply with quote

Oops, just caught the fact that this had happen years ago.
Sorry for your misfortune.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Getting burned by a fellow VW guy Reply with quote

just because they are "fellow" vw guys, doesn't mean they won't rip you off...

remember, vw ppl are some of the cheapest, run it like it is, rust, oil leaks, torn interiors, beat to hell, worn out suspension, weak brakes, faulty electrical drivers out there..

what one vw guy praises as awesome, another may look at as a piece of crap...

pictures?? don't do anything other than attract a buyer.

every buyer NEEDS to go look at what they are buying in person or they will find something they were not expecting when they receive the car...

I hate doing "photo shoots", waste of time.
I prefer the old fashion way of buying/making deals...drive to personally check out the prospective car, deal face to face.

Even flew out to CA once to be sure of what I was buying...

drives me nuts when a person wants 50 pics of a car and they only live an hr. away....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: