Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Tank and Line Replacement
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnuBJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Wanting to remove spun aluminum tank from the back seat. Tank in the front was severely corroded. I bought this replacement tank that seems to fit well: http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aftermarket-gas-tank-custom-filler-neck-p-12579 This worked for me because no modifications are required to the tank. For the weld filler neck, I will have a friend fabricate one similar to: http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac750218.html
1. I would like to put a thin rubber pad between the tank and body to reduce vibration. Any recommendation on what to use?
2. I am thinking of using rubber hose with braided stainless for fuel line. The reason is I am not familiar with bending radiuses in new metal line, The rubber hose will not fit through the existing hole at the back of the tunnerl, but if I enlarge the hole, I am worred about sharp metal cutting the new line. So, I am thinking of just running the line on the side of the buggy through the wiring tunnel. Is this a bad idea? Am I just being lazy?
Your input is appreciated.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. A few observations on your concerns;

About hard lines: they are easier to secure inside the tunnel due to their rigidity. I used brake lines (1/4" I think). You can easily bend them with a cheap tubing bender tool purchased at any auto parts store. Using a bender and some flare fittings to make other connections too tight or complicated for bends isn't tough. You can flare the cutoff ends of the lines where they meet the tank and the engine and use rubber hose to make those transitions.

For spots where the line needs to pass thru holes in the pan you can wrap it with rubber fuel or vacuum line to protect it from getting worn thru by contact and this also reduces rattle potential.

Hope that helps.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Any hose used must be compatible with today's ethanol rich fuels and even then should be checked regularly so I'd never run a flex hose thru the tunnel. Stock size for the hard line is 6mm od so 1/4 is the closest inch size I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Use a steel line. Any hose you use will have to be replaced someday.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Mail order trailer shops and hot rod shops like JEGS sell stainless steel brake line (used on boat trailers) that will never rust and can be easily bent without kinking.
KnuBJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

sounds like steel line is the way to go. thanks for the input all.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Your local NAPA sells rolls of aluminized brake/fuel lines as well.

They will last as long as you own your buggy.
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

This is what I've been using for fuel line for a while. Has worked very well. Much better corrosion resistance than regular steel line. Easy to work with.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/poly-armour-pol...16190008-P
WHYYYTRYYY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

http://agscompany.com/product-category/brake-fuel-transmission-lines/nicopp/

This stuff is the best. NiCopp it's called. DOT approved for brakes. Super easy to bend and double flare, works great. I use it a lot at my garage and never had a problem.

Oh, I want to add: make certain you heavily insulate any point where a hard line- NiCopp or steel- passes through any hole made in a body or chassis component. At the VERY least, wrap electric tape around that spot on the hard line many times to form a cushioning, vibration-insulating layer to protect the line. Even a small strip of rubber padding ziptied in place would be fine. Just make sure the line itself can never touch any metal/plastic that might slowly cut into it over time due to vibration, really.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

I'd also recommend the newer style "barrier" hose for any rubber line replacement. If you're not going EFI you can get the lower pressure version for less $$$.
The old FLAPS bulk fuel hose doesn't hold up to the newer fuel formulations. Last time I used some it turned hard as a rock in < 1 year - ready to crack! Search Gates barrier fuel hose. Got mine from Amazon once I determined the right Gates PN. I think I saw smaller lengths of barrier hose at Autozone, if you only need <2' sections.
Jeff
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

I used 5/16ths steel line I got from Mario at thedubshop.net and fed it through the tunnel from the back.

I used some spiral wire harness wrap around the line all the way through the tunnel to protect the line and either a piece of fuel line or a grommet to protect it through the tunnel walls.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No flares on the tubing just slide it on about 1.5 inches and use a EFI clamp on each end.

It's been running that way for over three years and almost 19,000 miles and of the times I had to remove the hoses during my winter upgrades I almost have to cut the hose off the steel line to get it apart..

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Use 1/4" steel line . . . through the tunnel . . . enter and exit in the stock locations . . . use stock rubber grommets to protect the line http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209189A
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank and Line Replacement Reply with quote

Since the chassis is shortened about 14"...

has anyone made Accelerator Cables, Clutch cables and Parking brake cables that are shorter for dune buggies ?

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: