Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Plate Torsion Tool
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

I've done a search and couldn't seem to find information about a tool; many threads about removal in the split bus threads.

I would like to buy a spring plate tool for removal and installation. From what I've gathered, it makes the job safer, although some have mentioned other methods that work.

Can any one point me in the direction where to buy a tool that others have used?

Can I suspect, that any I find online that look the same, come from the same overseas manufacture?

Thank you for the help.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7047
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

I recently removed my spring plates and found a special tool was not really needed. The spring plates are not pre-loaded nearly as much as a bug/beetle/ghia. A floor jack to push up on the plate a small amount was all that was needed. Pick up a magnetic angle finder at you local hardware store; it makes the job easy.

I removed my torsion bars at the same time to inspect them for cracks or breaks and re-greased the splines. Also cleaned up the bushings and coated them with dry graphite powder; much better than the talc recommended in Bently.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

I have the compression and press tools outlined in the workshop manual and never use them. The method Doug outlined above works fine. A rubber mallet will drive them home. The factory tools are a good way to turn a 5 minute job into an hour job.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I have the compression and press tools outlined in the workshop manual and never use them. The method Doug outlined above works fine. A rubber mallet will drive them home. The factory tools are a good way to turn a 5 minute job into an hour job.

Flat rate shop no doubt. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ask bout the flat rate brothers of San Diego-- full service of vw beetle w ac- flat rate 4.00 done in 20 min.---

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

Ace wrote:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7047

Actually, I don't think that will work on a split bus- there's nowhere to put the top part that catches the body bolt on a Bug.

Ditto on not needing it.

But- I do use a similar homemade tool that bolts in place of the shock absorber to compress the torsion to "level" when installing axle boots. Much easier when the axle is level and the bus is on a rack.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

Thank you to all who gave information. It appears the consensus is to forgo buying the tool. I will remove them using the jack method suggested. First I must take note of the location and angle, time to look for an angle measurement tool.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Torsion Tool Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
First I must take note of the location and angle, time to look for an angle measurement tool.

Look about 2/3 of the way down this link for how I did it using a $20 digital angle gauge.

http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&start=330

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: