Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help her Reply with quote

Ive paid Brandts latest bills and will get caught up on acknowledging donors and wrapping up the financials early next week. Ive got some shipping to reimburse those who donated parts which were hundreds of dollars of value. One shipping mistake which I will eat.

Sorry about the email confusion - I use the (dot) notation to prevent the email being skimmed by bots and then loading me with spam

the node is nycap.rr.com

user is abscate

latest updated list to come.

Brandt - can we put a first name on this thread so she is a 'real person' here

Smile
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help her Reply with quote

Thanks all for the support and to Abskate for the final reimbursement.

82 year old lady's name is Anna.

I have not heard from her but I do plan to check in soon.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

"82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna"

Does this work?
Tcash
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
"82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna"

Does this work?
Tcash

Fixed it for ya..

Thanks tcash

Very Happy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

added
Tcash
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

I heard from Anna a few days ago. So far she has driven her bus a few hundred miles including a get ready for winter trip to Cortez, Colorado and back, about 150 miles round trip. She says it runs fine.

Sounds like she has a hard time getting it into reverse, though, like it's just hard on her shoulder. It seemed normal to me when I was driving it and Colin didn't notice any issue.

She opted to register her bus with vintage plates which in Utah is the way to go. She can't seem to find her owners manual either. It was in the bus when I had it and it could be out in the mess that is my garage but I don't think so. I sent her a link to the scanned one in the archives until hers turns up.

All for now.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

So cool. Great work and glad to hear she's putting miles on it. Cool
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

Brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. Makes me proud to have been a part of this. Keep on bussin Anna. Very Happy

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

I like this story. Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

The aftermarket reverse lockout springs are two or three coils lighter. If someone has one floating around, substituting it for the OG spring would make the reverse pushdown easier.

Maybe I'll see her in November!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The aftermarket reverse lockout springs are two or three coils lighter. If someone has one floating around, substituting it for the OG spring would make the reverse pushdown easier.

Maybe I'll see her in November!
Robbie

You need to . . . we passed off some detail work for the "next guy". Yer up.

One of the brake lights appears to be intermittent even after tender ministrations. It is a great car. It has a true Volkswagen aura.
Colin

(here's Brandt, hard at work)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(speaking of Volkswagen auras . . . this was my campsite while we worked on Anna's bus)

pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

Whoa, just finished reading those 13 pages. You guys are awesome. Long live the VW community!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

Any updates?

Aloha
tp
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help her Reply with quote

'61Ragster wrote:
brandt wrote:

Then Colin demonstrated how to start a chainsaw or something...

Photo looks like Colin starting to do some Kung Fu move, and she's going for the preemptive strike with a quick left lab! Shocked

Great job everyone! Applause Applause

Brandt rocks, and the rest of us who contributed here are large stones.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

I have not checked in to this site for a long time but a recent PM has inspired me for better or for worse to give an update.

I stopped by Anna's house a few months ago to check in and return her owners manual that I had mistakenly kept. It's a long, sad story that I have not posted or had the heart to pass on to Colin or any of the others that helped.

Sometime shortly after Colin and I dropped off her perfectly running bus she decided to let her "meat guy" take it to someone to get a "tune up" even though she said it was still running great. Remember Anna has a traumatic brain injury as well as other ailments. While I was at her house I tried to start it and did with trouble but it sounded like hell and ran even worse. She told me the guy who did the "tune up" changed the spark plugs. When I changed them one of them had a semi-questionable thread insert to manage a problem exactly like Robbie had. So she still relies of rides from others to get to town and her doctors appointments.

While I am still deeply moved by the experience of all of us helping her I unfortunately no longer have the time or desire to help her further.

Brandt
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

DAGNABIT

Thanks for the update brandt. We all got a lot of warm fuzzies from the work and donations that were done here, but perhaps with Anna's physical and mental condition some higher power is telling us she shouldn't be driving. I just hope that somehow the meatballs that disabled the bus get their dues and that Anna can continue getting rides from friends and helpers.

Aloha
tp
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

Overdue update.

I have not had the heart to post this.

I learned in early 2020 that Anna passed away. She died sometime around Thanksgiving 2019. She was long estranged from her children and family. Unfortunately, there is no obituary to post as none was ever published. I only met her a few times.

I learned of her passing by way of a post-it note on my door several months later. The note came via a former neighbor/caretaker of hers who had, once again, tracked me down. She had become estranged from Anna as well. Anna had told her as well as me that I was to inherit the bus.

Anna's next of kin turned out to be a brother in Arizona who learned of his sisters death months after the fact. I spoke to him once. He spent a week in Utah trying to sort out Anna's few belongings. He could not locate a written will nor a title to the bus. It seems Anna was a dependent of the state of Utah.

The bus sat for a few more months. There is a few seconds along the highway where I could see it. The last I checked in 2017 it wasn't running. Then it disappeared. I don't know where it went. Perhaps the State came and towed it off to auction or someone else?

Thanks again for everyone who made a contribution to this project. I will never forget it.

Rest in peace Anna
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

May Goodness always befall you. I encourage people to do as you have done. Seems like this lady needed your friendship
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

You rest well tonight too, Brandt, for the good you did for others.

Nice thread.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna Reply with quote

Sorry she is gone.

Probably someone took it and sent to Vermont for a title using a bill of sale.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: