Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I know if my Electronic ignition works?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

1600 wont start, night and day, started one day then the next didn't.
If I keep the key turning and the gas peddle down all the way it runs till I turn the key off.

I have spark coming from all plugs to the distributor but the engine work start. I think the electronic ignition may of gone out, how do I test the ignition?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

If it wont start, how does it keep running with the pedal down the whole way? If you have spark and it runs, then I doubt your ignition module is bad. Anytime I had them fail, I had no spark at all.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
If it wont start, how does it keep running with the pedal down the whole way? If you have spark and it runs, then I doubt your ignition module is bad. Anytime I had them fail, I had no spark at all.

It only runs if I have the key turning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

Then it doesn't run.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

I would look for a faulty key switch contact
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Then it doesn't run.

True, it was hard to explain what was happening. Anyone know how I can test the ignition? All the plugs have spark, just won't turn over
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

Now stop a second.....Runs means that the cylinders are firing....Cranking means that the starter is turning the engine, but there is no combustion happening.

If it only runs with the starter engaged, then yeah - you have a problem with your switch or related. Easy to test if you have a test light or a volt meter. Disconnect your red wire to your ignition module. Turn on the ignition switch - dont crank just turn it on.

Do you have 12V according to your meter or can you light up a light bulb if you connect to the + side of the coil (where your red wire went)?

If no, then your switch or a connection is bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Now stop a second.....Runs means that the cylinders are firing....Cranking means that the starter is turning the engine, but there is no combustion happening.

If it only runs with the starter engaged, then yeah - you have a problem with your switch or related. Easy to test if you have a test light or a volt meter. Disconnect your red wire to your ignition module. Turn on the ignition switch - dont crank just turn it on.

Do you have 12V according to your meter or can you light up a light bulb if you connect to the + side of the coil (where your red wire went)?

If no, then your switch or a connection is bad.

Awesome explanation thank you!
Just tested it, and in the process discovered the key is not stay on causing power to turn off to the coil.
What part in the key switch do I replace?
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

Just follow your ignition/accessory/starter wires on your stealing column. They will take you right to the part that you need to replace.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

What year is the car http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?search=ignition+switch&Submit=
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
Just follow your ignition/accessory/starter wires on your stealing column. They will take you right to the part that you need to replace.

I'm inside now but thinking it's this part (I have a new one in the box)
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/360483648962
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
What year is the car http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?search=ignition+switch&Submit=

70 ghia
I think it's this part and I have one in the box. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/360483648962
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I know if my Electronic ignition works? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

I just jumped the battery to the positive side of the coil and she runs now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: