Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AIR RIDE changeover advice.....
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CockneyPlayboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently tore out the rear custom air-ride set up on my 55 Oval as it was more 'show than go' and wasnt up to spec. I had the limebug kit fitted instead which has been great now.

I am currently turning attention to the front end now and currently it has a custom bag kit but I am looking for advice on the best bit of kit to use up front.

What have you guys used or would advise? (...I am in the UK by the way)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

The most common front set up is Monroe air shocks , easy and they do work , its what I use , but you can also use a single bag on the right side with solid shaft in the beam , or I have seen a single bag in the middle but I don't like to cut into the front section of the spare tire area , and then there is the single Hydraulic ram that you can use attached to the factory torsions in the beam that looks promising if you don't mind hydraulic pumps and fluid lines , it also rides like stock because it still uses the torsions ... but if im not mistaken you still have to cut into the front area... they all still need some mods to work .. what is in the front now ?
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
CockneyPlayboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

Thanks pal plenty of info there.

It is a custom set up at the moment...

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13728902_88...e=58174F4E

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13726663_88...e=582F3739
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

Looks like someone used a front strut off of a front wheel drive , how does it work ?? what are the issues ???
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
CockneyPlayboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
Looks like someone used a front strut off of a front wheel drive , how does it work ?? what are the issues ???

The issue is that the other day I flicked the compressor on as usual, to pump the suspension so I could get it out of the garage and was pottering about and instead of the compressor shutting off automatically the over-pressure switch didnt work and it blew.... leaving the bags packed full of air! When I came back to it there was clearly a leak as it will now raise and lower but wont hold air for longer than 5 minutes.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

Its not a problem with the bags its a problem of over pressure , you need to add a blow off valve like the ones on the tanks of a shop air compressor, you can buy them in different pressure ratings.
"
CockneyPlayboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
Its not a problem with the bags its a problem of over pressure , you need to add a blow off valve like the ones on the tanks of a shop air compressor, you can buy them in different pressure ratings.

Sorry probably a bit of translation issue lol..... It usually DOES cut off and blows out like that..... the point is it didnt for some reason this time (clearly this is the fault) and blew the system with the bags full of air and was left like that for days....standing tall fully inflated. The fuse was eventually hunted down and replaced so it could be manually deflated and inflated again (but without the cut off as it wasnt now working) but in the meantime the bags were left at fully inflated pressure and it appears it has caused one of them to leak.... hence it keeping dropping to the ground after about five minutes. They may have had a small leak anyway which was aggravated by being at fully pressured pump for so long.

Been looking at the Limebug Air-Shocks kit and there is another company offering to look at my bags and recommission them if possible.....
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

CockneyPlayboy wrote:
raul arrese wrote:

Sorry probably a bit of translation issue lol..... It usually DOES cut off and blows out like that..... the point is it didnt for some reason this time (clearly this is the fault) and blew the system with the bags full of air and was left like that for days....standing tall fully inflated. The fuse was eventually hunted down and replaced so it could be manually deflated and inflated again (but without the cut off as it wasnt now working) but in the meantime the bags were left at fully inflated pressure and it appears it has caused one of them to leak.... hence it keeping dropping to the ground after about five minutes. They may have had a small leak anyway which was aggravated by being at fully pressured pump for so long.

Been looking at the Limebug Air-Shocks kit and there is another company offering to look at my bags and recommission them if possible.....

they look like something you can buy on ebay .. I have seen many that look like that ..
"
CockneyPlayboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: AIR RIDE changeover advice..... Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
CockneyPlayboy wrote:
raul arrese wrote:

they look like something you can buy on ebay .. I have seen many that look like that ..

Yeah they are a bit shite..... look like Volksproject gear. Decided to swap out with proper air-shock kit from Limebug and airline adaptors with relocation plates and do away completely with the bagged legs.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: