Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

Hello all, I am building a scaled tank. Yeah I fell on my head a lot as a kid.
I am looking at using a stock VW air cooled engine/transaxle as the drive system.
The engine will be mounted as it is in a VW with a chain drive running from the axles along the inside sides of the hull to the front track sprockets.
I am thinking about using a swing axle as I can rigidly mount the axle tubes & keep the brakes as my steering system.
First off, I would like to know the width from axle nut to axle nut. I think have read somewhere between 50/51".
Second, is there any way to use a longer axle as having about an inch of axle coming out past the brakes would be ideal for attaching the chain drive sprocket. Otherwise I'd need to find another way to mount the sprocket off the lugs (or another suggestion)
If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask.
Thank you all for taking a look at this, It's greatly appreciated.
Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

Use a transaxle out of a bus that has the reduction gear at the ends and then you will have better gearing for your tank and also will be easier to adapt your tracks.
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking about that (has them on my 66 single cab) I'm just worried about rarity & cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

Stromline wrote:
Yeah I was thinking about that (has them on my 66 single cab) I'm just worried about rarity & cost.

Most guys take them off , they are available
"
HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

what is the width of the bus /gear reduction transaxle?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

IRS transaxle chain drive to independent axles , geta you away from all from all the "set" sizes of "off the shelf" VW parts...

Years ago there was a fellow in off road section that built "chain drive rails".. Might try GOOGLE for "chain drive buggy"....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

ok I found this...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5842982

My only problem would be where to mount the brakes for turning.
I'd prefer to keep them as close to the point of power as to not stress the chains or idlers going further forward.
Unless I use a pair of buggy/kart brakes up fromt on the individual axles at each drive sprocket...

I love this stuff. Machines and design, it keeps the mind young!

Again I appreciate any & all suggestions!
Harry
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

Or you could do it without using brakes to turn: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1955789
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Trac

Edit: How about those Argo amphibians, weren't some of those VW powered as well? Maybe hydrostatic with the engine driving a pump and hub motor on each track like a zero turn mower?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

What model of tank?
HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle for scale tank width & axle questions Reply with quote

Busdaddy I have been thinking about hydrostatic drive since this project was just a twinkle in my eye.
I actually have a 22HP honda vert twin to drive a hydro transaxle (or ztr hydros) or to drive a hydro pump/Trans to hydro motors on each side. I was just starting to worry if this setup was going to be strong enough for the project as it has grown. Honestly it's still my first choice IF I can get the proper transaxle etc. (apparently the peerless 820 geared transaxle is supposed to be incredibly stout. I don't mind having to shift, I'll just have to build a clutch for the belt drive.

Boolean This one has been biting at me for literally 4 years. I have had a terrible time deciding what to build. It all started off with an A7V WWI german tank in 1/2 scale, then an E10 paper panzer, and then an elefant, Jagdpanzer IV L/70, StuG III, Hetzer...
I have made the decision to have the trailer width (82" wide) be my scale limit.
Over the last few weeks I had really decided on the elefant, but of course practicality got in the way and tried to tell me that it would still be so far from scale it would look like a toy. (which I know it is Wink ) So now the Hetzer was in the lead.
BUT WAIT... the biggest issue right now is height. The one issue with the Jagpanzer IV (and hetzer as well) is the interior height will only be about 3'9"
I'm 6'1" & tubby so that might be a problem.
Which brings me back to elefant OR a favorite of mine the Panzer IV L/70, which is basically a jagdpanzer IV upper hull on a panzer IV lower making it about a foot taller.
When is my therapist in?

Harry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: