Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting Engine to Bench Stand
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
herb0021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am trying to attach my 1600 engine case from a 1979 Super Beetle to a bench stand. I have this bench stand:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/5001.html

I was planning on using the engine mount bolts to bolt the engine to the stand....but I am having some problems.

First, the bolts are not threaded all the way up. Do I need to get a spacer to account for the non-threaded space....or would it be better just to buy a bolt that is threaded the whole way.

Second, with respect to the second spot to attach the case to the stand, the hole in the case is threaded, so its like screwing the bolt into the case rather than pushing the bolt threw and screwing on a nut. Is this right? It seems very difficult to screw in the bolt....and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm fairly new to all of this, so if I'm missing some vital info or if you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks!

-Ben
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Smile That engine support is fine if your going to assemble the two halves with the rods just sticking out. The bench will have to be a steel or a heavy duty wood to hold the weight of the pistons and heads from tipping the bench over.

The lower case stud will just sit in the lower portion while the top hole needs a long enough bolt with a nut. I used the same bolt as used when installing a starter.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

My engine stand looks like that, and is from 4 decades ago. Use whatever works, spacers, washers, etc; you may not readily find large long bolts that are threaded the entire length.

Bolt the one part to the bench. Then bolt the other part of it to the engine, then lift up to the bench and stick it in the hole !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Ace hardware sells metric all thread
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Get a 1.5" nipple for a spacer

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Nipples? Yes
herb0021
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks to everyone that responded!

-Ben
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Nipples? Yes

https://www.google.com/search?q=pipe+nipple&bi...4Q_AUIBigB
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Engine to Bench Stand Reply with quote

Yes, the galvanized plumbing pipe is relatively inexpensive, and available at HD and Lowes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: