Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

My family and I rented a Westy last week from California Campers and loved it...now I'm hooked. My guess is the "bargain's" are not at the low end but instead the vans people have invested $40k and sell for $25k. I am a sports car guy at heart but these things seem to be priced emotionally and with a huge degree of variance. More like hot rods maybe? Anyway to try to compare amongst disparate options I built a spreadsheet and a scoring system and wanted to see what you guys thought? I am sure I am weighting certain things wrong and missing other big ticket items entirely. I am concentrating on 86-91 so no offense to any older fantastic vans. But starting from the GoWesty and their values I adjusted up 80% for a base value and then adjusted upward for upgrades I like (personal opinion - I like the Suby 2.2L slightly better than the GoWesty 2.3....can I say this on this board without igniting a riot?) Also, I think it's like with houses. For example a Kitchen, Deck or Bath remodel returns more of the investment than upgrading the foundation, putting on a new roof etc. so while I may value an investment in insulation, accessory ports or inverters, it is probably not going to add a lot to what I am willing to pay. Whereas a new Subaru/ GoWesty / Vanistan etc. engine is a plus for me and adds value. This is where I need your guidance. What should I work for I am budgeting $20-28k.

BODY (Rate 1-5, 5 perfect) $5,000
Zero rust, staight, no accidents, dent and scratch free would be a 5 out of 5
Verify no rust undercarriage
Door rocker
Window seals
Seams

PAINT $3,000
Windows out high quality job +2
Original paint good, few minor dents and scratches, re-spray same color +1
Scratched, dented, faded 0
Bad respray possibly hiding rust etc. -1

3/3=100%

ENGINE / COOLING (+$6,000 over good running OEM) $6,000
OEM 2.1L Rebuilt / Less than $50k *will check out with compression and Leakdown 0
Professional Rebuild <25k (but mainly stock) +1
Stock cooling -1
Upgraded cooling (MUST) +1
Subaru EJ22 OBD1 Professional Installation / Documentation +3
GoWesty 2.3 +2
GoWesty 2.2 +1
GoWesty or Rebuilt Transmission <30K +1
Differential? Locking +1
10/10=100%

BRAKES $1,000
Van has sat, needs full flush / probably rebuild -1
Stock, recent svc >50% remain +1
South African Brakes / 320I calipers etc +2
Go Westy Big Brake +3

6/6=100%

SUSPENSION $1,000
OEM, refresh of shocks, springs, bushing / tie rods - <15k miles +1
Bilstein's +2
GoWesty Suspension Kit (shocks + springs) +3
Upgraded/ Go Westy Wheels +1
Tires >50% remaining +1

8/8=100%

INTERIOR (+$1,000 IF PRISTINE with Upgrades $1,000
100% Complete and Functional 0
Missing X Cost to Replace? -1
PopTop Condition -1= replace now, 0 = good, 1 = newer/excellent 0
Sink and Stove (working) 0
Working fridge +1
Replacement refrigerator +2
Dynamat Installation +1
LED/ Stereo / Auxilary Outlets / Deep Cycle Battery +1
Solar +1

7/7=100%

EXTERIOR (+1,000) $1,000
Upgraded Bumper (Front) +1
Upgraded Bumper (Rear) +1
Tire Carrier and 5th Wheel +1
Canopy +1
Other ________ +1

5/5=100%

This looked a whole lot better in Excel....Anyway what would you add or weigh differently?
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Forgot! Here is the start point adjusting up 80% from GoWesty Values.

80% (plus $10k Synchro) GO WESTY PRICE ADJUSTMENT -GOOD CONDITION
80-82 Air cooled steer clear of these X No (for me)
83-85 . 7,000 12600
86-87 ‘86-‘87 pop-top Vanagons run about $6-8k 8,000 14400
88-89 Nice, un-restored, ‘88-‘89s run about $7-9k, 9,000 16200
90-91 and ‘90-‘91s run about $8-12k 11,000 19800
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Body Rust - subtract $10,000 to $40,000

Buy in the Fall or Winter and be happy
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

I'd say that is too analytical. Just look at how much you have to spend and find the best van you can in that price range.

A GW 2.2 or 2.3 engine would be a good upgrade and eliminate a lot of potential conversion issues you might run into with a subaru 2.2. If you get a good Subaru 2.2 you won't have issues, but the chances of getting a troublesome conversion vs. a GW 2.2 or 2.3 is higher. Power differeence isn't that huge a deal in a 2wd van (A syncro usually has bigger tires which robs more power).

I'd look at vans that have been driven. Miles don't scare me. poor maintenance does. A well loved and long owned camper that was taken on long trips is a good bet even if it hasn't been used much in recent years. You should always budget some post purchase stuff like tires, brakes, etc.

A van with a few upgrades is nice to see. Usually those things get added after the basic mechanicals are all solid. A bone stock van is nice too if it has a folder of receipts. Lots of people own a Westy for 10 years and after the kids are not into camping, the van sits for a few then time to pass it on.

You can't create too long a list of requirements or you will never get a van. You just want to avoid getting screwed. Look at every one that comes up locally, and at some point be ready to pull the trigger quickly when something special comes up for sale. There will always be surprises, but knowing what you are looking at, having it checked mechanically, and having a a little extra budget to deal with the surprises is all you need.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Your numbers are interesting and was a most excllent exercise in cost gathering.

But.....

You are trying to assign solid numbers to a market of slush.

There are no absolutes in the used car business. Everything is market driven and emotional.

Yes, there are definite features that make a unit easier to sell and hence more valuable, but again, no absolutes apply.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

In general you have a realistic total budget.

You did not say if you are able to do the maintenance or will have to have a shop do that. It makes a big difference in the full cost of ownership.

My advice is to look hard for a Westy that is from an area with no salt (ie not rusty at all) and then assume that many of the mechanicals will need work as time goes on.

Initial purchase price at $10-15k with $5-10k for repairs/upgrades will get you quite a nice bus. Be aware that they will ALWAYS need work. Even the ones that go on long trips without trouble didn't get that way by accident. A lot of work goes into keeping them reliable.. YMMV. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

SeekineWesty wrote:
...I am concentrating on 86-91 so no offense to any older fantastic vans...

And no offense taken - but I will suggest that GoWesty's often repeated derision of the earlier models is great thing for buyers. It may result in being able to get a better van for less by looking at the 84s and 85s.

This is particularly true if the subject van has had the engine and transaxle professionally rebuilt. Now the issues of 'less power' and '3-4 slider' have be addressed. All this and you get round headlights too!

I agree that your list was no doubt a good exercise in how you look at these things but the purchase of an actual example is going to be much more subjective.

If you can find a well-maintained rust-free van with its original paint and complete service records then model year and accessories should become less important.

SeekineWesty wrote:
...I am a sports car guy at heart...

Me too - and the shopping and buying experience is (for me) very similar despite the disparity between the vehicles involved.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

"Upgraded cooling" is unnecessary, "maintained cooling" is more like it
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
"Upgraded cooling" is unnecessary, "maintained cooling" is more like it

But.......
A new radiator does not increase value.
Makes it more attractive, maybe easier to sell but you need a radiator. A plugged, leaky old radiator certainly detracks from value however.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

all of this goes out the window when you find a sweet old lady with her one-owner, sub-90k mile van that just wants it out of the garage.

keep searching craigslist nationwide. move on ads with no pictures (little old ladies don't like using computers very much).

really, if you want to put in the owrk you can get in these way cheaper than even someone's discounted 'refurbished' van.

i also second looking at the older vans (not air cooled). Ditch the slug 1.9 liter in there and get a new bullet -- your early vanagon will kick ass with the larger engine and older FI system. We've got a 2.2 in an 84 and it's my favorite van by far (nomatter what anyone says, you dont need power steering!)
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and thoughts! I'm not looking for a project, as I have a kit car sitting in storage already (Exomotive Exocet - except drooping in Acura/ Honda K24A2...1400 lbs and 240ish HP Wink. So I am looking for reliability and the ability to go camp now while my daughter is young.

While I might find a better bargain one like this sounds pretty good to me.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5669263888.html

Any thoughts? The no rust is big and mechanically it sounds strong (all would need to be verified though. Thanks.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

if your going for zero rust then your looking in the southwest states.
The trade off here is dried out rubber from the heat so a future cost would be replacing window seals, rubber hoses, the all important fuel lines.

No one has mentioned fuel lines yet so let me be the first to tell you that this is the most single important thing you must do when you buy one. It is the first thing you should do literally the first weekend you own it. They dry out, they leak and then you have a BBQ.
Your in the right forum for information so start out by gathering all the information you can and copy and paste it into your own bible. You have questions and we have answers. Not every answer is right for every situation, but 99% has been covered and it's here for you. At the very top of the page is where you should start, but at the same time ask questions. Some people will balk at your questions saying do a search, but screw 'em. Questions and the interacting answers are what keeps the forum alive. There are so many forums that have fallen by the wayside because people do not talk.
Welcome to the addiction.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

SeekineWesty wrote:
Thanks for the advice and thoughts! I'm not looking for a project, as I have a kit car sitting in storage already (Exomotive Exocet - except drooping in Acura/ Honda K24A2...1400 lbs and 240ish HP Wink. So I am looking for reliability and the ability to go camp now while my daughter is young.

While I might find a better bargain one like this sounds pretty good to me.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5669263888.html

Any thoughts? The no rust is big and mechanically it sounds strong (all would need to be verified though. Thanks.

Yes, that one sounds pretty good if you can swing the price (not a bargain but not ridiculous) and it checks out in person....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

SeekineWesty wrote:

Looks like it could be an excellent choice. They seem to be saying original paint so that greatly reduces surprises later.

FYI - Depending on how much of the AC equipment they removed (they only mention the compressor) you could probably get AC back for around $3-4,000.

For future reference should this not be the right one... sad to say but you post links to ads at your own peril. There are some here who will swoop in and buy it out from under you if the deal is exceptional. Not likely in this case as they are mostly bottom feeders looking for low-priced bargains.
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I thought about chance of stealing also owner may be viewing as well but information is useful. Actually was asking about a track car once on Pelican Parts BBS and all the owners friends chimed in and crushed what I perceived as flaws on said vehicle. Wrecked my negotiating position but this owner is firm at a price and seems like a straight up guy so I'll take my chances. It's enough money I would want a PPI from 523Rods or BusLab.

So we talk about Westy's appreciating...above mentioned car was a 73 911 RS clone with a 3.0 I bought at $18k sold at $23k after 4 years thought I was smart....till they essentially tripled in value over the last few years...whoops!
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

The removed AC would turn me off on that van. At 18K, I would accept that they took out the AC, but not at 27K. It would have been that expensive to fix when it was all complete and at a minimum they should have left everything in tact. And it is an 87, 27K without any other major upgrades is on the high side.

This one looks similar but more aggressively priced
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1953076
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

It is reasonable to expect that a buyer with deep pockets can get an excellent deal on a Westy that has had expensive upgrades and/or major maintenance done by the seller. Things to look for, in my opinion, would be:

1. New or excellent paint. This can't be over-emphasized.
2. California-compliant engine swap. There are essentially two, the 1.8T and the Subaru 2.2. There is also the "grey area" 2.5 litre "frankenmotor" Subaru option. The most desirable is the 1.8T. A stock engine (even rebuilt) is not for me, but YMMV.
3. Compressor Fridge (and deep cycle house battery) already installed.
4. Modern wheels and tires (15" or preferably 16")
5. New or excellent-condition pop top tent;
6. All-new cooling system parts (water pump, rad, all hoses)
7. Factory AC.
8. If the vehicle is not a 1991, then a rebuilt transaxle.
9. Upgraded headlights (eg South African grille).
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
... (nomatter what anyone says, you dont need power steering!)

I cut my power steering belt off last week until i can replace/rebuild my leaky power steering rack and would agree. I haven't missed it that much actually.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Enough about westy value Shocked find one build it up enjoy Cool

would like to hear more about Cali rentals ( /condition etc.)
what to come from east coast(don't have the time to drive mine there till I retire)
I plan on renting one and heading to the kings canyon redwood area
Evil or Very Mad only real concern is the extra charge for the over 120 miles a day also would love info on s#%! to do in that general area
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

SeekineWesty,
Wife and I also rented from Cali Campers for 3 years. Sold my '68 Mustang so I could buy our own westy. Found a '90 in San Jose from original owners with 110k miles on it. In very nice condition. All original equip.

As I and others have done, you will want to review the condition of the coolant and fuel lines on whatever rig you end up getting. This is just the beginning. You will find many lists of essential things to do or check, on this wonderful site.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide on.

Craig

Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: