Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. California Campers service was great. Van was clean and complete. Pretty well worn, but it ran reliably (a few stray oil lights went on) But Gabriel just had me check fluids and the longer I drove it the better it all seemed to work. It was a lot sloppier with its suspension and shifter than some of the nicer vans I have looked at but it was a great experience. I have a deposit down on a van recommended here awaiting a title and then if all goes well should pick up next week....and then begin feeding it all of my available cash.

Matt
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

On a related note seller is including a rebuilt transmission (with documentation). PPI noted the issue. What is the range of costs to have a shop install it and change out the clutch at the same time? I am in the Bay Area. Thanks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

You seek reliability?

While the trans is out there are many tasks you should consider doing.

Upgrade cooling hoses (assume they're 30 years old?
Upgrade all coolant plastic bits to metal replacemebts or new plastic.
Upgrade coolant pipes to stainless steel.
Front main engine seal behind flywheel.
Service/replace starter.
Upgrade alternator wiring to starter.
New fuel pump
Axle CV joint service,mnew boots
Rear wheel bearings
Brake flex hoses
Rear heater valve.
Shift linkage

Many $'s yes, but all items proven to fail.
Most are easier done with the trans out.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

So, you went for the white '88 that DaveVickery provided a link to? If so,very nice looking rig.

Craig
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Craig,
You got it. I looked at the more expensive one and it is as advertised and the new tranny in that one was strikingly better than the worn rental and others I had test driven. I put a deposit on the one Dave pointed out. (Thank you!! I owe you some beers!) It checked out mechanically at Griffins In San Diego. Chris there was impressed with it and a pleasure to deal with. Did find a whine from the tranny so the seller, Bob agreed to throw in a documented rebuilt tranny and clutch package he had from another van. It will need shocks, wheel bearing and rear brakes soon but otherwise I am feeling lucky to get it at asking price (plus parts). The seller, Bob is a stand up guy who I really like....and typically I am pretty suspicious of any seller. He has owned or restored something like 50 of these vans. most recent one was appraised at $38k. He also owns three synchros. With $8k lower price than the other van I have some room to do preventative maintenance suggested above (thanks).
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

I should also say Felipe at 523Rods in Richmond has been extremely helpful in advising me on vans. Felipe is former (chief?) mechanic from the BusLab in Berkeley and now has his own shop. He has been very helpful!
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Matt,
Congrats. Some day let's get together with our rigs. Burning Van 2017 in SF.

Craig
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Well alright. Congrats on getting one. Ones that are a little undermarket are good, even if you have to do a few things, you don't get under water on it.

I would strongly avoid trying to do every little thing on the van right now. Fix what needs fixing, and go camping. It becomes an addiction fixing up the van and takes away from all the adventures you can do in the van. Going some medium length trips will tell you want you may need to work on.

AAA is a great value for vanagon owners. I try to make my vans as reliablle as possible but I still usuallly wind up using it once a year. And having AAA prevents you from trying to drive it to a shop when you really shouldn't. I sometimes have the van towed to the shop rather than drop it off myself just for regular service. That is lazy and I feel a bit guitly about it sometimes, but they don't care and my preferred shop is 75 miles away.

And find a good shop to work on it. Usually takes a little trial and error. Spread the little jobs around and see how you like a place. You don't want to take it in for something big to a shop you don't 100% trust.

Fun times ahead.
Dave

SeekineWesty wrote:
Craig,
You got it. I looked at the more expensive one and it is as advertised and the new tranny in that one was strikingly better than the worn rental and others I had test driven. I put a deposit on the one Dave pointed out. (Thank you!! I owe you some beers!) It checked out mechanically at Griffins In San Diego. Chris there was impressed with it and a pleasure to deal with. Did find a whine from the tranny so the seller, Bob agreed to throw in a documented rebuilt tranny and clutch package he had from another van. It will need shocks, wheel bearing and rear brakes soon but otherwise I am feeling lucky to get it at asking price (plus parts). The seller, Bob is a stand up guy who I really like....and typically I am pretty suspicious of any seller. He has owned or restored something like 50 of these vans. most recent one was appraised at $38k. He also owns three synchros. With $8k lower price than the other van I have some room to do preventative maintenance suggested above (thanks).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

You seek reliability?

While the trans is out there is one task you must do: buy a toyota.

or wait for the Tesla minibus
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Dave / Craig,
Thanks. Look forward to meeting up at some point. Beers with your names on it. Thanks for the advice.

Merian - Reliability? I have a Honda Ridgeline Truck, it's just like a Toyota..... except it is designed better, built better and is more reliable Wink On average with the Van I am about as reliable as an average Toyota.

Matt
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

I am fond of Soichiro Honda and his products.

Put a tow bar on the front of the Vanagon and you're all set...
SeekineWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

.....but a Tesla Minibus with Gull Wing doors would be really cool!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

not to the mods - they killed that thread
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Scale for Westy's - What am I missing? Advice wanted! Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
not to the mods - they killed that thread

Dang. An occasional diversion into Vanagon related, but not actual Vanagon content, seems like a good use of space here. But I'd hate to be the one sorting it out so I'll try to see it how the mods see it.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: