Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready to sand and prep notch for paint
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready to sand and prep notch for paint Reply with quote

sorry bob i meant mike when i was referring to the acid. Clatter is right, better to use products that are compatible you do not want to find out after you paint it. By the way after blasting a car with conventional media you are still into sanding and conditioning the metal before applying primer. Anything that opens the metal to oxygen requires treatment. The factory had a bath prior to the paint and when i use my soda blaster on those sections the metal is not disturbed and neither is the coating. the metal is very smooth after soda blasting but soda blasting is not cheap at $50 a bag
reminder for those pitted areas around the fender bolt holes these need to be treated or that rust is coming back even if you did grind the rust. Good luck on your project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
david69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready to sand and prep notch for paint Reply with quote

Ok guys I got it down to bare metal, but shit I scratched it pretty good in a few places. What is the best way to get rid of these scratches? I know I have to sand again, but is there a particular way to sand, for example circle, flat, opposite way of scratch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready to sand and prep notch for paint Reply with quote

Epoxy prime the bare metal. If you have any dents, low spots, repair them. Reprime with epoxy, scuff the entire body with 320 grit paper. Filler prime the body shell, start sanding. Check the product information and follow the instructions. Compatible products are always recommended. Check with the shop that is going to spray it and see what they use. Ask lots of questions.
david69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready to sand and prep notch for paint Reply with quote

Right on Eyetzr thanks a lot bro I'll get back to the drawing board and give it another shot actually around this is the first time ever using you touch the sander or car I really dig it it's kind of fun but I did make some steaks so I'll follow your instructions and see what happens if you get too crazy I'll just let the shop guys do it man thanks again bro look good looking good looking out I like it, good karma .peace
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready to sand and prep notch for paint Reply with quote

You said you have been sanding, so keep working on it. Drill out all the spotwelds holding your front apron on. Buy a better apron to repair & weld on as yours looks like 'cottage cheese'? Save a lot of money doing body/paint yourself. Idea

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: