Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery drain
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Battery drain Reply with quote

MY SB 79 FI has gotten a new battery after the old one (10Y) died.
I never had enough drain from semi-modern (cassette) player and analog clock.
Nothing electrical has changed in the setup, but the new battery drains in about 3 days. After a week i just have 0.4 volt left. Battery seller tested and they claim it is not the battery.

By replacing the battery, they told me the alternator didn't function well, but I haven't driven it since it was installed.

can anyone list what other sources may cause this?

Thx,
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

Well, if the alt is not working then your battery is not getting charged.
Also the distance that you drive the car may not be far enough to overcome the drain from starting the car. I mean if you crank the engine for 30 sec. to get it started and then drive three miles to work. Your not going to be able to make up the discharge.
I have a gen. car and have to charge the batt. every three weeks as my commute is 4 miles each direction.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

An alternator often can be source of your parasitic drain
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Can you elaborate on this cusser? I have a modern car that has many computers. They are parasitic on the charging system. I never have to charge the battery on that car. It sits weeks on end. But the WW "black box" in my 67 has a known drain on the batt. and unless I take a very long drive each week. I have to charge the batt. after three weeks of daily short commutes.
Enjoy the ride.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Well, if the alt is not working then your battery is not getting charged.
Also the distance that you drive the car may not be far enough to overcome the drain from starting the car. I mean if you crank the engine for 30 sec. to get it started and then drive three miles to work. Your not going to be able to make up the discharge.
I have a gen. car and have to charge the batt. every three weeks as my commute is 4 miles each direction.
Good Luck.

Your situation doesn't sound normal to me. Are you sure this is true for all cars your year with your set up?

I have a '72 standard, which is obviously different because it has an alternator, but I drive about the same distance as you every day and I never have to separately charge my battery. The car's charging system seems to have no problem with a mere 8 miles a day.

If it actually takes 30 seconds of cranking to start your car I think something is wrong. My engine catches in less than a second and I think a '67 should also start right up. I would suspect your ignition switch is wearing out, or, that your charging system (generator and voltage regulator) is not actually tip top.
DPJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

well, in my case i did not drive the car as they told me the alternator wasn't working properly.
I assume the alternator can not be the source of parasitic drain?

So, I didn't drive it, don't have a heavy load on the system and didn't change anything since it started draining...
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

DPJ wrote:
well, in my case i did not drive the car as they told me the alternator wasn't working properly.
I assume the alternator can not be the source of parasitic drain?

So, I didn't drive it, don't have a heavy load on the system and didn't change anything since it started draining...

When you said the new battery drains in about three days, did you mean it drains without you ever even running the car?
DPJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

That is correct. just tested to see if battery works. Ran it for 30 seconds and drains afterwards. Tonight it was just dead, with 0.4V
All I have is the semi-old radio and the analog clock, which were not a problem before.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

Draining a new battery from 12.6v (fully charged) to 0.4v in a week is excessive. You have more than a small drain... or the first battery was bad. Did they replace the battery for you? Recharging a battery that had been drained to 0.4v would be difficult because the action of draining a battery that deeply will damage the plates.

Do you have a multi meter? Most multi meters have a setting to read amps. Most of the recent ones I have seen can handle up to 10A current flow THRU the meter. This normally requires the red probe wire be moved to a different jack. In the below pic the 10A test jack is the one to the very left. Most other testing (V, ohms) is done from the right most jack. The second from the left jack is the milli-amp jack and can test up to 400mA in the case of the meter pictured. Check your meter to see what it can do.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Testing amperage requires the meter be inserted in the current flow. To test how much current is being drawn from your battery while everything is OFF, disconnect the negative battery cable from the (-) battery post. Initially, set your meter to read up to 10A and plug the red test lead into the 10A jack. Touch the black COM lead to the negative (-) battery post. Touch the red lead to a clean chassis ground (wire brush it so you have good contact). Read the meter and see how many amps are flowing while everything is OFF. If you have a radio w/ a clock, it may draw up to 50mA (0.050A). If anything is drawing more than 50-100mA you have a big drain on your battery. If the drain is less than 0.4A you can switch to the mA connection and read the drain in mA. As long as your meter is fused you should have no issue, even if there is a surge in amps the fuse will blow to protect your meter.

Finding the drain can be a challenge. You want to remove all your fuses and see if the power draw is still there with all the fuses removed. If it is not, then start installing one fuse at a time until the drain comes back.

If the drain is still there even with all the fuses removed you will need to trace the wires to find the source. Start with those things that are connected and not fused at the fuse box. This includes the ignition coil, the FI computer and the headlight switch. In '79 there may have been other accessories that drew power, you will need to find and unplug these until you can pin down what is draining power. It could also be a short somewhere in the wiring. A break in the insulation that is allowing current to flow to ground.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

Maybe there is a hole in the bottom of the battery and all the electricity just runs out? Confused
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

zoobyshoe wrote:

If it actually takes 30 seconds of cranking to start your car I think something is wrong..

No! Mine starts like your does. Turn the key and it fires to life.
This was a example of a hard starting situation. May draw down a battery.
Enjoy the ride.

zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

DPJ wrote:
That is correct. just tested to see if battery works. Ran it for 30 seconds and drains afterwards. Tonight it was just dead, with 0.4V
All I have is the semi-old radio and the analog clock, which were not a problem before.

OK, it's clear you have a big short somewhere, and not a problem with your charging system.

Consider that this short probably developed while you had your previous battery in the car and is what killed the previous battery.

It could be the clock and radio, actually. At this point it could be anything.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
zoobyshoe wrote:

If it actually takes 30 seconds of cranking to start your car I think something is wrong..

No! Mine starts like your does. Turn the key and it fires to life.
This was a example of a hard starting situation. May draw down a battery.
Enjoy the ride.

OK, so you don't actually have to charge your battery every three weeks?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier with stereo that has clock, station memory, ECU, etc. I frequently let that sit for up to 2 months, and it starts right up, no significant drain.

So such electrical drain is excessive. I saw someone use the word "shorts"; if there actually is a "short" then excessive amperage would burn up the wires, or a fuse if such circuit was fused.

If you've done nothing recently on this, I would disconnect the alternator and see if the battery stays charged like a week. Because I'd bet (and you should try) taking off one battery terminal for a week to demonstrate that the battery can hold charge fine without parasitic drain.

I've read on other boards for different vehicles about alternators being a common source of parasitic drain, even though they charge fine with engine running.

Read up on Google about parasitic drains.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DPJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

Autozone charged the battery to 100% for me as my own charger didn't light up on the dead battery.

I will keep the battery out of the car and test it again in a few days to see if there's a difference.

I have a new Bosh alternator ready to be installed, but it will have to wait till I have moved and the car is shipped over there. Tools are packed also Sad
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

Quote:
The alternator can sometimes have a shorted diode that can cause amps to flow through the alternator's power cable and through the shorted diode and into the case and through the bolts and back to the negative battery terminal. This will drain a battery in a hurry.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Can you elaborate on this cusser? I have a modern car that has many computers. They are parasitic on the charging system. I never have to charge the battery on that car. It sits weeks on end. But the WW "black box" in my 67 has a known drain on the batt. and unless I take a very long drive each week. I have to charge the batt. after three weeks of daily short commutes.
Enjoy the ride.

If a diode in the alternator is going bad, it can leak current through it when the key's off and drain the battery. If you find a parasitic drain that continues even after pulling all fuses, try disconnecting the battery wire from the alternator (when the car's not running). If the parasitic drain stops with the alt disconnected, you've identified the culprit.

But the other issue here is the battery. If it's been discharged so badly that it's only reading 0.4V, then it's probably been permanently damaged (internal short or permanent sulfation) and won't hold a charge. I had a battery like that just recently, you'd put it on the charger and let it charge to 100% and the car would start and run fine, but the battery would be dead again just two days later. Now, if your battery is new and it was only deeply discharged for a short time, then it might recover but you haven't done it any favors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: