Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with a 12 Generator rebuild finger pointing fiasco
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Help with a 12 Generator rebuild finger pointing fiasco Reply with quote

So my 12v 356 generator bit the dust. I found a rebuild kit online that seemed to be exactly what I needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282033969292?item=282033969292&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

As I was pressed for time I dropped it and my genny at a local auto electric shop specializing or so I thought in generators etc.

Spent a lot of time reinstalling only to find the same red light and no juice coming out of the genny. I tested it by setting DF to ground and D+ to 12v and found it spins backwards ie counter clockwise. So I believe that is my problem.

The supplier of the genny parts claims the shop reversed the wires. But when I try switching wires D+ wire to ground and DF to 12v it doesn't spin at all.

The shop claims I must have gotten the wrong armature . The genny parts supplier seems to be knowledgeable in these Porsche generators so I tend to believe him.

Any suggestions for what the local shop might have done wrong?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with a 12 Generator rebuild finger pointing fiasco Reply with quote

did you follow the polarization procedure in the Bentley manual?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a 12 Generator rebuild finger pointing fiasco Reply with quote

Yes polarization was done. Of course based on the current wiring it is polarized backwards. The vendor claims I can simply switch the wires and repolarize.
When I tried that nothing happened it did not spin at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: