Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbuschris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Steering Box? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/Du7bGJda5kI

This is a video of the play in my steering. Is it time for a steering box rebuild or is there something else here?

Thanks in advance. Chris
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box? Reply with quote

I can't view your video due to really poor internet but, have a friend gently rock the steering wheel play in the straight ahead position (box play is likely there); crawl under and watch where shaft enters box, watch/feel all 4 tie rod ends, both ends of drag link and relay pin on center of front beam. You should be able to find the worn parts.. Check your Bentley manual. Got one? Get one. Hope this helps
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box? Reply with quote

that shows nothing....

you need to see if you have any other components bad, and pay close attention to the output shaft. any elliptical movement means the case bore is bad and needs to be re-bushed

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that shows nothing....

Other than a torn steering coupler Shocked

You'll want to replace that ASASP.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redbuschris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that shows nothing....

you need to see if you have any other components bad, and pay close attention to the output shaft. any elliptical movement means the case bore is bad and needs to be re-bushed

This play happens before any tie rods come in to play. I will look over my Bentley again but when you say shaft are you talking about the one coming from the steering wheel?

Could the torn bushing be the culprit?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box? Reply with quote

the shaft where your drop arm attaches to.

the flex in the coupler isn't helping, but most likely not the cause. I have a nice rebuilt box on the shelf, but it isn't going to be cheap. it took me 3 boxes to make that 1. I try not to sleeve the bore if possible. this one had a pretty nice bore, but the peg was worn, so 2 more boxes gave up the ghost so I could make 1 nice steering box.

I have been inside of a rebuilt box sold by one of the vendors here...it was scary...

*edit*

page 3 has the photos of the box I took apart

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=40

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box? Reply with quote

1) is the steering box moving on the frame? It looks like it in the image. Better check that.

2) have you adjusted it per Bentley?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: