Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drivabilty issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rr91932
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Drivabilty issue Reply with quote

I have had my bug for about two months. It has a 1600 dual port in it. PO put a new carb on it about a year to a year and a half before I bought it.

Here is the problem. I can not get the car to stay at a steady pace. Example if I get it to 40 and want to stay there. It stays for about 2 seconds and then I lose power, then after a bit the power comes back. I have adjusted valves, replaced cap rotor and points. Just check fuel pressure and it seats at 6 psi (to high right) Do you have any other suggestions.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivabilty issue Reply with quote

Humor yourself. Remove the dist cap and grab the rotor. Give it a wiggle /shake. Does the dist drive shaft move forward and back or left to right?. There should be NO movement at all. If there is then your dwell/timing will roam while you are trying to keep the car at a steady RPM. A worn dist needs to be replaced. That is unless Glenn or Tasb can busch the dist shaft.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivabilty issue Reply with quote

x2 to 67rustavenger's recommendation for your distributor. You say the fuel pressure is 6psi, that's to high. You can fix that, it should be just shy of 3, 2.8 psi I believe. You can add gaskets between pump and riser or case to decrease pressure. While cruising at xmph, you may be flooding your engine.
Cheers!
Mike
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Drivabilty issue Reply with quote

I also am voting for fuel pressure too high, which is overwhelming the needle valve and letting too much fuel dump down the carb throat.

I had a similar problem with my motorcycle once - turned out to be crud or something keeping the needle valve from closing but it would accelerate fine under WOT (high fuel demand) but as soon as I started steady-state cruise it would run like crap (way too much fuel going into engine).
rr91932
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivabilty issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. This gives me an excuse to go for a electric pump. so fixing the headlights is going to have to wait one more month. Did go and wiggle the drive shaft. I didn't feel any play.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivabilty issue Reply with quote

Well I mean you still have to diagnose the issue. We are giving you ideas but we're not saying that's definitely the problem. Just a best guess. You have to do the grunt work and find out if that is indeed the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: