Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
505BusFanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City. Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
I built 3 of the 4 racks in that pic. Lead car was bought with a rack.
The yellow car has a ladder up the pass. Side. That rack was built to sleep on.
As far as a full length foot in the drip rail goes, I think it woul be a waste of round stock. The weight is only where the feet are anyhow.
All those cars had a good amount of weight on top. The white car rocked 10 gallons of fuel and a giant ice chest full to the brim. As well as a spare and our trash. After climbing up them and tying hammocks to them four days in a row without any signs of a problem, I'd say the stock roof is quite sturdy.

Where did you see the abuse that you mentioned of earlier? Was it from movement during offroading? Was it from drip edge damage? I was guessing where my weak points would be based upon standard driving, but I didn't get to drive with it enough to find them out in practice. Thanks
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City. Reply with quote

I have zero damage to my roof. The other cars... They bolted through the roof... Against my advise. Other than the holes in their roofs, no damage to any other rack either.
We did four days on the mojave road. Around 150 miles off road (broke a speedo cable). We beat them decently and I actually rode on top of the yellow car across the soda dry lake. Kinda like a magic carpet.
505BusFanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City. Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
I have zero damage to my roof. The other cars... They bolted through the roof... Against my advise. Other than the holes in their roofs, no damage to any other rack either.
We did four days on the mojave road. Around 150 miles off road (broke a speedo cable). We beat them decently and I actually rode on top of the yellow car across the soda dry lake. Kinda like a magic carpet.

Beautiful! Thanks for splashing info on this topic. Cool Very Happy
Karmannut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City. Reply with quote

Brochure says it weighs 180lbs and has a weight light 300 lbs https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/4574890.jpg
I have had it on my car about 10yrs no problems my grandparents had on different cars on trips all over the country several trips from Ohio to the west coast I have a picture on their 63 Impala taken at the Grand Canyon
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Air and Water do mix!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City. Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
505BusFanatic wrote:
185lb human, 45lb rack, and it felt rock solid.

I'm surprised she let you weigh them, but then again, if she let you feel them then why not? Laughing

Nice one. Laughing

I'm almost afraid to say, but ehm,,,,, nice rack!

One question remains..... how did the lady get into the tent on top op that car? I don't see a ladder or such?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeanCameron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City. Reply with quote

After I took the photo I climbed up with a chair. 750 lbs on top. To those who say the max weight is 100 or 120 lbs, that is for the stock racks, not the capacity of the roof. Remember the roof should be able to take the weight of the whole car in case of a roll over. The question is how much it can take with a rack using good weight distubution.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Camping taken to another level. Rack City. Reply with quote

Another question...how did you get up there?

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: