Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve cover gaskets....UPDATED...more leaking!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Valve cover gaskets....UPDATED...more leaking! Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm having the common problem of oil leaks from valve covers and the gasket dropping off the lip on the top section. I would like to use stock style covers where i could weld a small tab but i have high lift rockers so am stuck with the bolt up items. I have searched the subject and see that people glue the gaskets to the cover - my question is, can I use Hylomar Blue for this or should I use Permatex? If Permatex, which type as i will have to order it off Ebay. Thanks.

Last edited by richierich on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

My two cents: I use a thin layer of RTV to glue the seals to the valve covers themselves...to keep them in place. I use nothing whatsoever where the head touches the gasket. I have zero leaks. Now, the gaskets will need to be changed out at certain points, based on their age, how many times you remove the valve covers, etc. Mine have been on/off over a dozen times and I still have no leaks. I use the stock covers.

Dave

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
kevinhosp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

Permtex gasket eleminator with no gasket. Works great but covers are hard to take off
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Can I basically use any 'non-hardening' gasket sealer then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

I use the cork gaskets.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:05 pm
(from an old post)

I've always used Gaskasinch gasket sealer between my valve covers and the gaskets. It does a good job of holding the gaskets in place, preventing them from creeping inward.
Sometimes, the gaskets need a little stretching to tightly conform to the shape of the outer lip of the valve cover.
A couple of years ago, I built a form from scrap plywood to hold the gasket in the right shape while it is installed. I took some photos of it today:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I normally do this the day before a valve adjustment so the covers are ready to go. I have three sets of covers, so between the two cars, there's always a set I can prep ahead of time.

This wood form has worked very well for me; make one...it's easy.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
Thanks guys. Can I basically use any 'non-hardening' gasket sealer then?

Yes.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

I have found that a non hardening gasket sealer will let gasket move.... I use weather stripping (contact) cement like 3M... Sure its a bear to clean off valve cover (none on head side) but carb cleaner and a little wire brush (tooth brush size) makes quick work of problem....

Ultimately I like SCAT valve covers with tabs to retain gaskets...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

On most engines, I use https://www.amazon.com/Hylomar-Aerograde-3-5-oz-Tu...omar+pl32.
prepped correctly you will have no leaks.
clean clean clean the valve covers, carb cleaner or acetone for the final wipe, then the hylomar, then lay the gasket on. Another light smear of hylomar on the head side, and wipe the head surface with a rag (carb cleaner on it) right before assembly.

no leaks whatsoever from that in over 10 years.

Hylomar comes off the head with the acetone, or carb cleaner quite well.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

X10 on the 3M trim cement...........The gold standard for many years. You can find it at auto body shop supply companies.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

I've never had a leak or sucked gasket. I put a very thin coat of silicone on cover side, stick to cover which has been cleaned by brake clean. Dont use carb cleaner, it leaves a film which is probably lubricant for the moving parts. Oil the side that goes against head and clip on. Let it dry before starting. You can take covers on and off. I've used same gaskets for 10 years. I also have 1.4's using the stock covers, no need for bolt ons.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

Here's what I use, no sealer, no leaks.

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1978.htm
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I've never had a leak or sucked gasket. I put a very thin coat of silicone on cover side, stick to cover which has been cleaned by brake clean. Dont use carb cleaner, it leaves a film which is probably lubricant for the moving parts. Oil the side that goes against head and clip on. Let it dry before starting. You can take covers on and off. I've used same gaskets for 10 years. I also have 1.4's using the stock covers, no need for bolt ons.

I once heard of a guy so cheap he slept on his hands and knees to keep from wearing his underwear out. No shit.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

I've used cork gaskets for years and have never had a problem with leaks. Just make sure to replace them when you do the valves or they probably will leak, they don't like to be reused.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

Cork or rubber/cork composite gaskets, gasgacinch on the cover side, a LIGHT smear of grease on the head wide (wiped off so it feels almost dry and there are no gobs of grease anywhere). I can R&R them once or twice without leaks if I clean them well. Feel them and if they are stiff or have any impressions from the head, then they should be replaced.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

a sharp center punch and some divots in the head and or valve cover to hold the gasket is all I ever used. it gives it traction. or you can add an inner flange to hold it. I also trimed some of the big gaskets so when they expanded that would not force them selves out at the long run.(center) I dont like cleaning sealer off the serfaces Im lazy.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

Cork gaskets and yellow weather strip adhesive. Never had one suck in for the last 27 years.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

Valvoline red European wheel bearing grease....lightly coated on both sides......never a leak so far. Taken from Rob and Dave's VW manual.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
Valvoline red European wheel bearing grease....lightly coated on both sides......never a leak so far. Taken from Rob and Dave's VW manual.

For decades I used to use a light grease smear on both sides and got very few leaks. It did tend to let them squirm, and for those valve covers without the "keeper ridge" this can allow them to drop at the top. Glue eliminates that chance.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Valve cover gaskets Reply with quote

A large part of the problem is the week bales. Proper pressure on them is important. I use cork gaskets and soak them in water so they swell up. A small amount of long fiber grease. they do not leak.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: