Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drawlusyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Hello all. After days of reading posts I still require some assistance.

Twice in the past 2 weeks coolant has boiled over when parked idling.

I would like to test the fan coming on when rad gets hot. Not sure how.

Background:
-when coolant reservoir is empty blinking dash light comes on so tells me that sensor is ok.
-dash gauge goes up when temp increases so gauge works
-rad gets warm when engine running
-unplug sensor on front of rad and short out resulting in both high and low fan speeds
-can drive without over heating. temp gauge sits at 1/2 just over the light

not sure if I have ever heard the fan kick in automatically

I am now wondering if there is a way to test the sensors that automatically starts the fan when rad gets hot? Any ideas?

Regards
Dennis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Howto test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Just buy a new fan switch--it's a switch, not a sensor. The only way I know to "test" these switches, is to remove them and place them in boiling water with a temperature probe and multimeter to see at what temps they switch between poles. They act like a single pole double throw toggle switch

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
drawlusyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Howto test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Ok great thanks. I have just ordered a new one and will test that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Howto test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

you can also buy an IR thermometer that you can point at things on your van to see how hot they are. this along with the magnet on a stick, a 11 & 13mm wrench/socket are my favourite van tools.

there are two versions of the fan switch, the later year one is the recommended alternative for your van. early models like yours (and mine) originally had the fan kick in at a higher temp. later on, it kicks in at a lower temp. (i cant recall the exact temp)
SubArcticHank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

I'm troubleshooting the same issue, however I have found that my fan does come on at a very high temperature. This may be due to a bad switch or because I have the wrong (high temp) thermostat. Since I have air conditioning I have been able to turn on the AC blower which automatically turns on the low speed fan, so changing the switch isn't so urgent. Anyhow, the thermostat is also a possibility so I hear. 84 1.9 westy
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Howto test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
They act like a single pole double throw toggle switch

In order to preclude any confusion or uncertainty, the Radiator Fan Switch in a Vanagon consists of two single pole, SINGLE THROW switches, in parallel, with distinct set points in a common switch housing.

Richie
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

drawlusyk wrote:

It's been a while since I ran a 1.9L (1984 Sunroof, no A/C), but I have a distinct memory that the radiator fan came on so seldom, regardless of how long the van sat idling, I thought VW forgot to install one. My 2.1's were an entirely different story.

More than once, I was fooled into thinking something had to be wrong and I remember checking the fan control system and the calibration of fan switches, always with the same results - no problemo.

If your radiator fan, relay and switches are all in order, unless you have done so already, replace the radiator.

Jay Leno may be a joker, but he spoke the truth when he said that the first thing to do when a car shows up at his garage, is to replace the radiator no matter how purdy the restoration appears to be. He said his numerous overheating problems went away as soon as he started doing that.

Richie
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Howto test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Richie Wrote;

<<In order to preclude any confusion or uncertainty, the Radiator Fan Switch in a Vanagon consists of two single pole, SINGLE THROW switches, in parallel, with distinct set points in a common switch housing>>

Which will not switch on if the radiator is plugged up in the lower portion of the radiator.
Garbage in the radiator could very well be plugging the tubes and sheilding the switch from reading the correct temp and turning the fan on at it's programmed temp.
Very Common Problem.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Howto test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Which will not switch on if the radiator is plugged up in the lower portion of the radiator.

Exactamente, O Master of Meyhem!

I have to wonder how may vans are running around with choked off radiators. It's what you learn at the Well-it-ain't-leaking-Why-should-I-replace-it? School of Agriculture and Mechanics.

Richie

Last edited by RicoS on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

drawlusyk wrote:

I'm slipping in my old age - I forgot to mention something.

Boiling over could be caused by a hinky Reservoir Pressure Cap.

I once had a boil over which was caused by a pine needle (of all things) lodge in a check valve in the pressure cap. Also, I once found the smallest paper fiber in one causing the same problem. It doesn't take much to put you in the boil over portion of a pressure/temperature graph.

Check your pressure cap, but also a new radiator never hurts.

Richie
drawlusyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Still waiting on the themoswitch. BUT today for the first time saw a small leak on the driveway after a short drive. Looks like its also time to replace the radiator:(
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wendy.the.Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Is there a radiator replacement off-the-shelf option or modification that introduces a fill cap at the top of radiator? Seems like it would make sense to fill the system at its highest point......right? Shocked
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

There ya go--nice project for you.
Modifying Vanagon radiators.

That picture of the radiator is real nice.

An original skanky radiator.
I'll bet the tubes are all plugged up on the bottom portion of that radiator, hence the fan switch not operating at the correct kick on temp.
drawlusyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

Well guess it was time for a replacement.
New one is in, but cant get the needle past the 1/2 mark to see if the fan kicks in!

Mighty Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to test 1984 Vanagon radiator temp sensor? Reply with quote

I know you are changing rad but just went through this today with same vintage VW but car not van.12 dollar rad cap. Would boil over when Guage hit the 3 thirds mark. All wires ect checked good so thought switch itself in rad must be toast. New cap and took it up hill. Popped hood at same mark on temp gauge to check with heat gun. Switch showed 195 and all of a sudden fan came on like it should. Then with the new pressure coolant hose to oil cooler blew! She's all good now though , had the tool box along. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: