Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Want one.
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjmcclellan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Want one. Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new to the VW craze. I've always like them and I have know a few friends that had one. But I have never owned one myself. I'm looking at get a bug. Price range is under $8,000. Any suggestions?I've been told stay under year 1967. What should I look for?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

You can start with The Samba classified ads tab. Wink
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

Shop to you drop. Test drive many of them. The big thing is rust. The more the rust free the better. The mechanics are easier to rebuild.
I prefer a vehicle that is as stock as possible including the wiring. The value will be there in the future with a stock verses modified.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

Depends on what you actually want.

There's nothing wrong with the late models ('68+). In fact they came with a number of improvements, including a collapsible steering column that wont spear you in a crash ('68+), dual circuit master cylinder ('67+), and a significantly peppier engine ('71+).

The early models are more desirable from a collectors standpoint and will fetch higher prices, depending on condition.

If you're not in a hurry look for ~ a month or two and watch price trends, you'll get an idea of what's selling.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

mjmcclellan wrote:
Hello. I'm new to the VW craze. I've always like them and I have know a few friends that had one. But I have never owned one myself. I'm looking at get a bug. Price range is under $8,000. Any suggestions?I've been told stay under year 1967. What should I look for?

Being in California you can find VWs all day long. If you are willing to ship they get even cheaper. I know where there's a nice oval for sale as well as a 74. Good luck
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

newer are usualy cheeper. I paid $45.00 for mine 15 years ago. as far as stock or fast or whatever blows up your skirt is up to you.I personaly will not drive something that cant hardly get out of it's own way. and since it will need a motor any way.....might as well build it big.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

Start by going to shows and figuring out what you want. Check the 'community' tab at the top of this page. There are meets weekly in your area. That will allow you to see the differences between years and models, and help you avoid the "I wish I had bought a ___".

With 8K you'll be in good shape no matter what you want to buy. Once you know what you want, scan Craigslist, visit the local shops and check the bulletin board.

The Samba's classifieds are OK, but can be really overpriced. Every time I visit Wolfsburg West there are a half dozen cars on the board that are usually priced well below what people on here are asking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

Go to shows, ask questions, mechanics are usually eaiser than bodywork.that way you know what your buying.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

There is no reason to stay pre-'67, especially if you plan on actually driving it.
The newer they are, the more they drive like a real car.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

I agree ^^^, but for perhaps enhanced reasons.

A later beetle has a cheaper buy-in price and if you decide they really are not your cup of tea- you can resell them easily. With earlier cars come pickier buyers. You can ding a front bumper and find another for $75. for your '67 and earlier- a good one is $300 (my definition of good). Headlights: $8 vs. $60, steering wheel: $15 vs. $50 and so on.

If you find out understeer is not your cup of tea the hard way- you're wrecking a car nobody but you will cry about with a later car. If you destroy a '58 ragtop, there's a whole VW world to answer to. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Want one. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
There is no reason to stay pre-'67, especially if you plan on actually driving it.
The newer they are, the more they drive like a real car.

My 74 agrees with that but the 57 is fun in a different way

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: