Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cleaning up oil stains and spills
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

What are some methods or tricks of the trade? My beetle made a mess and so did my diesel truck a few months back. I tried the coke-a-cola and baking soda trick... it stained.
retterath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

On concrete I use degreaser, like Castrol super clean, or if it's somewhere the dog might walk, laundry detergent.

If you have asphalt, I'm not aware of anything that will not also destroy the surface.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

I've used brake cleaner and a toothbrush on porous cement. Got the job done.... eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

Soak spot with brake clean & cover with quick dry/kitty litter, stand on it & do the twist.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

Straight Simple Green. Lay an old towel over the stain, pour SG on the towel until it's soaked and let stand for a few hours. Pull the towel, pour some water on the wet spot and scrub with a brush. Hose the residue off. Repeat as needed. On concrete you'll still have a residual stain though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

oil dry/cat litter and a brick. put a little a little down and use the brick to spread it around. It absorbs the oil.
I also know a person who swears by bagged cement but I've never tried it.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

Don't waste your time with kitty litter. Spend $2 more and get the real oil-dri from an auto parts store. For concrete after the oil-dri I pour bleach on the stain and let it sit a couple hours then hose off.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Soak spot with brake clean & cover with quick dry/kitty litter, stand on it & do the twist.

X2 but I'm too lazy to use brake cleaner. I sweep up the excess litter and would hose the driveway down but with the drought out here that's rather frowned upon.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

Any advice for old diesel oil stains?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

Baking soda works well for active wet spots.
Sprinkle, sweep, and dispose.

I use Dawn and heavy duty degreaser and a coarse brush for most floor shop cleaning. ..

Diluted Muriatic Acid for serious stains..

Dont use it on polished or sealed concrete. or/unless you will be repolishing and resealing.
Use all precautions.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infmur.html

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning up oil stains and spills Reply with quote

Learned this from an old model T builder. Goes to your local Home Depot, Lowes type store. Purchase there torn open portland cement bags. I've paid as little as .25 cents. Pour the cement on the spill. WAIT Not only does it clean up the yucky stuff, but the concrete fills small cracks.
I also just buy a CHEAP box detergent. Pour it on, maybe grind it in a little with the end of an 2x4. WAIT. Next time I wash the car I rinse it off. The only problem with this is sometimes you end up with a clean spot to look at

Geoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: