Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank trigger ignition
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I personally feel putting crank fire ignition on an engine with carbs is a complete waste of money. The accuracy of the two systems do not match. A carb is nothing more than a controlled fuel leak. Putting a crank fire ignition on a carb engine is like putting laser gun sights on a rubber band slingshot.

i found it to be really good on my 1200 with stock carb actually.
you could map the whole spectrum, not just a curve. and increase the timing at say 500 rpm to hold idle better when cold and use less choke, bonus and better mpg.

loads of plusses i could drone on about, but it helps basically. like putting sticky tyres on a beetle, its never going to handle like a race car in stock form, but sticky tyres will make it better...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

No points to adjust.
No parts to wear out.
Coils and wires are available at most any parts store if you want to buy new.
My Plug wires came off a 97 Ford V-8 pickup with lots of miles and work great on my engine and will for years to come.
Price........$10.00 for 8 of them.

On a N/A engine once you get timing where you want it you never have to touch it again.

With the junk that is being sold as new out there and the worn out stuff sold and causing trouble a crank fired ignition is one of the best things you can invest in.
Look at all the questions and problems people have with ignition and distributors.

Plus,,,once you pull the distributor you now have a turbo drain or a case vent hole ready to go...... Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

In the photo below and I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I'm totally new to this, I know the numbers on the left hand side are the rpm's and all the other numbers in the white boxes are the ignition timing settings but the numbers in the light blue boxes running across the top are they the manifold vacuum settings?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
In the photo below and I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I'm totally new to this, I know the numbers on the left hand side are the rpm's and all the other numbers in the white boxes are the ignition timing settings but the numbers in the light blue boxes running across the top are they the manifold vacuum settings?

Those are Kpa numbers which go from 0-100 in a N/A engine.

zero is total vacuum and 100 is basically standard atmospheric pressure.
Turbo boost can go up from there.

As an example... my map runs from 20-250 kpa.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Cheers mate
itHaKa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

Look at all the questions and problems people have with ignition and distributors.

make sure whoever installs your system knows what is doing otherwise youre gonna walk
i went megasquirt ms1 v2.2 wasted cop, after pushing my car home due to ecu resets ( Noise ), i ditched it and went back to my cheap, good old bullet proof 009 !, i also have a spare clone in my glove box , gives me peace of mind !!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

The most important procedures in the cb install is the distance of the pickup gap and setting up on the right tooth. All which are clearly explained in the install directions. My install was about 4 hours of cleanly routing wires, drilling wire channels for discreet install under rug etc. It started up the first time. The only problem I had was due to modification on the vr sensor plastic clip snap. I modified it to fit for my serp set up. Other than, just working with Mark at CB to help me with a custom map remotely computer to computer was all I needed done. It's been raining lately due to close call hurricanes, but I'm hoping for sunny weather to fully return. Otherwise I drive my bug to work almost daily with no problems.

Sorry ithaka, sounds like you've had your share of problems with the MS setup. Don't hear of too many people disappointed with it or having longlasting issues once they figure it out.

I used to be a large proponent to distributors. Yes they work and can work well for most set ups. I liked the idea of popping a back up in if problems came up and able to limp home when having problems. Going to electronic still has the capability of failure, but I have found it pretty dependable presently.

The short end of it is this, if you like distributors use it. If you want more, then research what best suits your set up and have more.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Well I've been emailing CB performance today cause the company I'm looking at buying from in the UK don't have a technical support services if I was to ever have issues and that pretty much ended any chance of me getting one until late I herd back from CB performance who said "Hello Adam, we could still support you. You would need to communicate with [email protected] for that support. "
So I will contact Mark tonight to get a definite answer and take it from there.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Got an email back from Mark and it's good news Smile
Here's it is
Yes, we will still support it.
Thanks,
Mark Lawless

CB Performance

1715 N. Farmersville Blvd.

Farmersville, Ca 93223

Just have to wait two weeks now Smile
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

jfats,

I am surprised there is enough room in front of the shroud for the coil pack. Got any pictures showing where/how you mounted it?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

j-dub wrote:
jfats,

I am surprised there is enough room in front of the shroud for the coil pack. Got any pictures showing where/how you mounted it?

Its on the fire wall but on the interior! The plug wires were just barely long enough. Ill snap a picture and edit post. You need access to the module to work the dip switches and be able to load up presets you create tables for.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
j-dub wrote:
jfats,

Its on the fire wall but on the interior! The plug wires were just barely long enough. Ill snap a picture and edit post. You need access to the module to work the dip switches and be able to load up presets you create tables for.

Mate is that a power cap and bass speaker?
I don't know about you but my 2276 with its twin weber 48's is all the music i need Smile
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Hate to admit it but my welded fan is in direct competition with the 48s. It sounds like a small turbo spooling. Kid you not. The stereo adds to the whole driving enjoyment factor... I need to have me sounds.

The best sound from my 48s was in 4th gear racing a supercharged gto doing 6300rpms at around a 136mph on the freeway. Now that is a wonderful sound I must admit. Slowing down was actually the scary part.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Mine makes the same sound mate that nice turbo wine sound then the 48s takeover and yes the fun is accelerating over 100 mph in just seconds then thinking SHIT I need to slow down Smile
Anyway got another question I'm just looking into this now but would see what you lot say this is taken from the CB performance website

Cam-Sync – For sequential ignition systems, it is required to install a cam-sync. Rotate engine so that the
crank sensor is directly over the 8th tooth clockwise from the missing tooth. Remove old distributor and
place aside. Remove cap from cam-sync and install into distributor hole. Make sure the cam-sync is fully
seated and attach large ring terminal to clamp stud and tighten nut. Rotate the cam-sync until the
reluctor lines up with the pick-up. Clamp everything down making sure reluctor is still lined up.

So my question is what is this all about?
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Fuel injection system ?
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Yeah sequential injection

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:

Its on the fire wall but on the interior!

Thanks for the additional pictures, that really helps.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Just found this it's half the price of the CB performance
http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/p138.html
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

Some modification needed.... if you are apt, then get it. I can sell you an edis4module , crank wheel , harness, and coiletc for 80 bucks. I like cbs no Bruner bolt on install with headache free fitment.

You also lose the person to person product support. But you can use the did site for reading help. You may have to design your own timing table, etc. You pay to play. I payed for easy

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crank trigger ignition Reply with quote

The system does come with a base map and a cd with many more maps on it or of cause I could just Wright my own one. It is all most a bolt on system all that need doing is getting the trigger wheel bolted or welded on to my pulley.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: