Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TSII thermistor replacement part values
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Collie wrote:
I'm waiting for the YouTube how-to video Smile

This is excellent stuff to see happening as I was just pricing these bad boys.....I was not happy with the results.

Thanks folks!

I may post a tutorial next week, if I get it working properly...
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Any progress on the piaggio sensor testing. The only place I can find the real sensor is:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/311906041A.htm?pn=311-906-041-A-M14

No idea if its really in stock but at $90+ I would rather try one of your discoveries.
I am planning to try it out on a Type 3. This one is available from Greece. I am hopeful for this parts functionality

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aprilia-sr50-lc-piaggio-ca...mp;vxp=mtr

I also found this audi temp sensor that could fit in the hole, but the resistance may be to different to use: http://www.nextdayauto.com/1980-audi-4000-engine-c...40122.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A article about this: http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/10vcoolt.html[/img]
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Ok, how about this?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/2265/10002/-1
Plus this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/2259/10002/-1

I grabbed this from forums.holley.com
From Danny Cabral's post:http://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?2535-Transmission-Temperature-ECU-Input
Quote:

From Danny Cabral's post:
Those of you with the Holley Avenger, HP or Dominator EFI system may be interested in this. I added a transmission fluid temperature sensor Input to my ECU. A coolant temperature sensor is too big & bulky, and 3/8-18 NPT threads are too coarse for sealing in thin wall aluminum castings. So I contacted Auto Meter's Tech Department and had a nice discussion about what I was doing. He recommended their #2259 temperature sending unit (1/8-27 NPT) because it's very compact and will fit in shallow depth ports. He said it's their newer model sending unit (for coolant/cylinder head temperature, transmission fluid, engine oil, gear oil, etc.) and more accurate than their older ones. It's also self-grounding, so it's an easy one wire hookup. Best of all, it's only $13. I installed it in my transmission's main line pressure test port. No gauge required because I'm monitoring it on the ECU Data Monitor, Datalogger, TSLCD/Digital Dash. It works very well and I'm happy with the easy installation. Here's the 16 thermistor calibration data points I acquired to enter into our ECU "Custom Thermistor" Input.

Auto Meter 2259 Thermistor Specifications
Temperature = Ohms (Holley EFI 16 Cell Calibration Table):
100°F = 1123Ω ±102Ω (Right)
120°F = 708Ω ±59Ω
140°F = 460Ω ±35Ω
150°F = 374Ω ±27Ω
170°F = 253Ω ±17Ω
190°F = 175Ω ±10Ω
200°F = 149Ω ±8Ω (I mathematically averaged this in, for 16 data points.)
210°F = 123Ω ±7Ω
212°F = 119Ω ±6Ω
220°F = 105Ω ±5Ω
230°F = 89Ω ±5Ω
250°F = 65Ω ±4Ω
280°F = 42Ω ±3Ω
300°F = 32Ω ±2Ω
320°F = 25Ω ±2Ω
340°F = 20Ω ±1Ω (Left)

Am I right that those numbers may work ok?

asiab3 wrote:
DougB wrote:
What a shame that the resistance values here don't seem to be right (though I'm sure the degrees listed are in C, not F as with Ratwell's chart):

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/505/piaggio-engine-temperature-sensor

- Doug

Good find! That may work beautifully in a warmer environment. Once fully warm, that sensor will work identically, PedParts just doesn't seem to list any the arctic-cold-engine resistance that Ratwell and Bentley mention at 14*f.

For comparisons, I extrapolated from Ratwell's chart, using all *F measurements:

VW TS2:
14* = 7,000-12,000 ohms
68* = 2,300 ohms
104* = 1,250 ohms
167* = 450 ohms
212* = 200 ohms

PedParts sensor:
68* = 2,500 ohms
104* = 1,300 ohms
167* = 380 ohms
212* = 100 ohms

I've ordered a few, and I'll be trying them on whoever lets me poke around their bus soonest… If they work, I'll gladly import them, and sell them for a slight markup with a pigtail wire extension, so we don't have to desecrate our original VW wiring connectors. Laughing

So DougB, I think you've won so far. Please let me know if we're ever close buy. First round is on me.

Robbie

DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Hey all,

So sadly the Bay seller from whom I purchased 5 of the Piaggio sensors seems to be MIA despite good ratings...no contact, no sensors and not even an indication that they've been shipped. Looks like I'll be filing a complaint with eBay.

I still want to check that sensor, though, as I like the idea of the male spade connector built right in.

That said, I'm totally open to other ideas...I would like to keep to something that's already M10 thread, though.

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Finally heard from the eBay seller in Italy from whom I bought the Piaggio sensors. Turns out that he shipped them about a week ago and they look to have arrived in the US now. When they come I'd love to send one to someone who's maybe better equipped to perform a Ratwell-like test on them in a very controlled way...maybe Mr. Kent would be interested (you can just keep the sensor post-test and I'll throw in a 3D printed speedo gear to test as well).

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Hello all,

As of this morning I'm holding in my hand 5 Piaggio temp sensors. I'm totally willing to supply one free, along with one of my 3D printed odomoter drive gears (both to keep), if this person would conduct a controlled test a la Ratwell's pan-of-oil method. The initial line up of resistance values (as shown on the prior page) seems pretty close to the Bosch unit...just that the Piaggio values I was able to find on one site don't go to as high of temps.

Who's interested?

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

I am interested. I would use a soldering iron mounted to a copper block threaded to fit the sensor. I used this gizmo to test CPU coolers back some years ago. I have the contact thermal sensors to record the temperature but I would have to record the resistance readings manually not having a data recording volt meter. No problem if this technique doesn't interest you for your test purposes. Its the equipment I have for testing.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

To me that all sounds fine and pretty close to Ratwell's method just minus the oil...would you be able to get the copper block up to 375 or 400 degrees F? Because this thing has a plastic cap it would be interesting to see if the top end of the head temp range would cause issues with it.

Anyone else want to chime in? Thanks!

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

I can melt it if you want, I have an oxy-acetylene kit. I have a bronze melting furnace as well, but that would be overkill! Shocked
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Hahaha, well, heating the copper block with a torch to get it to the upper temp regions was something I hadn't thought of...don't shoot for melting it, but if the plastic melted at head operating temps (up to 400 F max) then that's something we'd probably all like to know.

PM me your mailing address and I'll pop this and the gear in the mail today...I happen to have both with me.

Thanks!

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Super!
I just ordered the little Auto Meter 2259
I will test both and report back.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

For a second opinion I would suggest contacting Telford. His shop is set up to give you almost a lab level comparison.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Ah, good idea, Steve! He'd go nuts on this. No problem having some duplicate testing Smile

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

I'm up for testing a sensor. Probably screw it into an aluminum block, along with a type J thermocouple. Wrap in insulation (except for the bottom, then put on an adjustable hot plate. Plot resistance vs temp.

Are you in a hurry? I've got a tachometer mod I'm doing for a guy back east, but after that, I'm game.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
I'm up for testing a sensor. Probably screw it into an aluminum block, along with a type J thermocouple. Wrap in insulation (except for the bottom, then put on an adjustable hot plate. Plot resistance vs temp.

Is this sensor the same thread diameter and pitch as a stock one?

Are you in a hurry? I've got a tachometer mod I'm doing for a guy back east, but after that, I'm game.

Telford I was thinking exactly the same except make a well also and fill with oil, then put a lab thermometer in and you would have something exceptionally accurate. Thing I like about the block idea is it can be put in the freezer to start and run temps clear from 0F to 300F
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks Telford! I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow!

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

I will start in the freezer with the copper block and plug in the iron, I think its a 90w iron and let it max out. If it doesn't reach 400, I will break out the torch. It will take a couple nights to rig it up. I wish I could get a known good bosch part to compare it to but since there are none its a moot point.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

cool (meaning nice not temp)
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

trythis wrote:
I will start in the freezer with the copper block and plug in the iron, I think its a 90w iron and let it max out. If it doesn't reach 400, I will break out the torch.

Temperature-controlled soldering irons run 600 to 800 degrees F. Uncontrolled ones run probably lots more than that. Be careful...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TSII thermistor replacement part values Reply with quote

Got the part in the mail today, also have my autometer part. Looks like I have a soldering iron that has a 3/8 inch diameter orifice. No need to adapt my copper block since the meters can fit straight in.

Its a 100 Watt iron, so it will take very little time to reach 400F.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: