Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 411 engine help
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

hey all,

need help with direction for engine repair on my 71 type 4. It still has the bosch fuel injection, but its currently not starting. it turns over but doesnt start, and its been told to me by a competent mechanic that its the fuel injectors. donesnt know for sure, but he says he cant find any replacement bosch fuel injection (obviously) and says the only way he could deal with it is switch to carburation which i am not fond of. what should i do. subie swap lol? just need some direction.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

matth wrote:
hey all,

need help with direction for engine repair on my 71 type 4. It still has the bosch fuel injection, but its currently not starting. it turns over but doesnt start, and its been told to me by a competent mechanic that its the fuel injectors. donesnt know for sure, but he says he cant find any replacement bosch fuel injection (obviously) and says the only way he could deal with it is switch to carburation which i am not fond of. what should i do. subie swap lol? just need some direction.

DO NOT DO THAT. THIS PERSON IS NOT A COMPETENT MECHANC.

This system has 23 wires and four sensors. Walk away now. If he has no idea,what is wrong with it and his only answer is to slap carburetors on it....what does that tell you about his knowledge and ability?

Its the middle of the night. I have not found a,D-jet system yet that I cannot repair. Slow down for a few days and we....and I....will give you a list of simple checks YOU can do ....to tell us what is working and what needs work. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
matth wrote:
hey all,

DO NOT DO THAT. THIS PERSON IS NOT A COMPETENT MECHANC.

This system has 23 wires and four sensors. Walk away now. If he has no idea,what is wrong with it and his only answer is to slap carburetors on it....what does that tell you about his knowledge and ability?

Its the middle of the night. I have not found a,D-jet system yet that I cannot repair. Slow down for a few days and we....and I....will give you a list of simple checks YOU can do ....to tell us what is working and what needs work. Ray

thanks. luckily i have time and no obligation to stay with this mechanic. Was driving the car and the car died after coming off the highway right as i turned onto my street. I was going about 65 on the highway (pretty fast for the engine). We pushed the car to the house and let it sit overnight.

Next morning we tried to start up the car -- would turn over but not completely HOWEVER we hand pushed the car for 10 seconds and i quickly hopped in and it did turn over completely but then died eventually.

Some things to keep in mnd,
the night of driving the fuel tank gauge went from r to 1/2 sporadically
that afternoon i switched the gas from 87 octane to 93
its not the battery because when i half turn the key the aftermarket radio turns on
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

It very well could be the battery. The radio coming in means very little. The radio takes 12 volts....but will come on anywhere from 9 -14 volts qnd only takes about 8 amps.

The starter requires about 400 amps.

But.....what do you mean by "won't turn over completely"?
Does the engine turn over when you turn the key.....very, very slowly...like it does not want make mode than 1-2 complete revolutions? Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
It very well could be the battery. The radio coming in means very little. The radio takes 12 volts....but will come on anywhere from 9 -14 volts qnd only takes about 8 amps.

Does the engine turn over when you turn the key.....very, very slowly...like it does not want make mode than 1-2 complete revolutions? Ray

When i twist the key to turn on the car -- it cranks and makes the repetetive sound, but never goes completely to running completely. in other words i can keep the key engaged and the car will make that cranking sound as long as i hold the key engaged.

will keep the battery think in mind i had no idea.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

matth wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

When i twist the key to turn on the car -- it cranks and makes the repetetive sound, but never goes completely to running completely. in other words i can keep the key engaged and the car will make that cranking sound as long as i hold the key engaged.

will keep the battery think in mind i had no idea.

Ok...what you just noted....is that the engine and starter cranks no problem. That pretty much means the battery is good.

You need three items...fuel...air and ignition.

Do not try to start it again until you have done ALL of the items I list.

1. Check all of your fuses and check that there are no wires loose or "wiggly" on the battery under the front seat.

2. Clamp the fuel line under the gas tank and remove the fuel filter and check its condition. Replace it if necessary. The fact that it may even be relatively new is not enough. If you have rust or silt in your tank it can be plugged up.

3. Check that the fuel pump buzzes for about 2-3 seconds when you turn the key to the first position right before starting.

NOTE: if the fuel pump does not buzz when you turn the key...check the relay under the steering column attached to the pedal support. Make sure the wires are connected and the ground wire is secure.

Then get under the car and check that the fuel pump two wire plug is secure and that the terminal are clean and tight.

4. You need to check the basics of ignition first. Check your points, cap, rotor and condenser....then the spark plug wires...and the condition of your spark plugs.

5. Go to a home store and buy a cheap water pressure gauge that goes from 0-60 psi, buy a three foot length of fuel injection hose, a brass barbed nipple that fits the gauge and two hose clamps. Connect this to the "TEE" in the fuel line between the injectors on the drivers side of the car.

Crank the car over with a helper. You should see fuel pressure of 29 psi minimum while the car is cranking. You may have to do this several times to get the air out of the line before it reads.

6. Make sure that ALL of the fuel injection components plugs are plugged in. There are no loose plugs allowed. Make sure there are "0" broken wires. No broken wires allowed.

7. Check that tthe Cylinder head temp sensor wire is connected and tight and clean. That is the small single wire going to the cylinder head on the drivers side.

8. Make sure that the three wire plug that goes to the distributor has no broken wires and is plugged in tight and the connections are clean.

9. Make sure your distributor clamp is not loose allowing the distributor to change timing.

10. On the engine case centerline under the center intake...there are several bundles of wires. They must be tightly connected....nothing loose. These are the fuel injector grounds. If they are dirty or greasy...clean them, tighten them and reconnect them.

11. Make sure ALL vacuum hoses are tightly connected.. the oil filler cap is tightly connected.....there are "0" vacuum leaks allowed on this system or it will run poorly or not at all.

These are very basic checks. This will get you started and then we can move on to more detailed checks.

Let us know what you find. Ray
matth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

thanks testing in progress Smile
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 411 engine help Reply with quote

A $5 Remote Starter Button from Harbor Freight clipped to the starter will let you turn the engine over,check fuel pressure,set valves,timing etc while working by yourself! Buy some extra alligator clips to make it easier to clip onto the starter. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: