Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja update...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdub516
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja update... Reply with quote

I need help with carburetor and rocker ideas. Thank you in advance! First off, Crap power band right now, if any..
I just put on GENE BERG 40/35 90.5, port/polish and semi hemi, bath tub shape 60cc, dual springs, Deck is.110, NO STEP!! So any compression ideas of what I have now with no step in the head? CR??

I have dual 44's not installed any jetting ideas?? Timing Numbers??
Would using 1.25 rocker be ok?? Only measuring .395 full lift
After heads put on it lacks performance
Right now I am running a single 44 with FAT manifold.
74 crank
90.5 PC
CROMO Pushrods
CB Rocker shafts
Stock rockers
Magnum straight cut gears
Engle 110 cam
Billet lifters
AA rods
009 electronic
KEP clutch set up
JSC stock pulley
Dog house cooler/MESA cooler/ Remote oil filters
Everything is fully balance to within a 1/2 GRAM
Machine work- full flow, sand seal, all surfaces decked and true.

Last edited by vdub516 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MOTOR Advice 1904 GENE BERG HEADS/BAJA Reply with quote

Just a "heads up" Dancing that you can run a lot more timing then normal Wink

The point at which it starts pinging is much higher then non-hemi cut heads. I would be bumping it up lil at a time till you hear some ping then back off.

This is most likely why you have no power, I bet your not close to the timing point that it likes.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MOTOR Advice 1904 GENE BERG HEADS/BAJA Reply with quote

7 to 1 compression is low. 8.5 to 1 would be ideal.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja Reply with quote

That motor sounds like it was built for a turbo? Wink 'Perfect' Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: MOTOR Advice 1904 GENE BERG HEADS/BAJA Reply with quote

rs58rag wrote:
7 to 1 compression is low. 8.5 to 1 would be ideal.

I was playing with the calculator, and came up with the idea that your cylinder shim stack is .090.
If you dropped the shim stack to .040 you would have 8.2 to 1 compression which would be in the range suggested for a 110 cam.
You didn't specify your rod length, so I don't know nothing more than what the calculator says.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja Reply with quote

I agree the compression ratio is the problem. 7:1 would be ok for a stock cam. The 110 works best with dual carbs, your 44's can work but you will probably want smaller venturi. People get all scared about bumping the compression, but you have to understand that with more lift and duration of the valves you are not building much cylinder pressure. At slow RPM, it all bleeds off before anything gets a chance to start compressing. It's really important to understand this concept on performance engines. This engine will have less power than a stock 1600 at low RPM.

I'm running 8.9:1 in my single cab 2 liter on 87 octane gas no problems with a 110. You're always going to have soggy power until you fix that. Deck height needs to be close to .040" for snappy throttle response. I just hauled 3000 lbs of scrap metal with about 28 degrees total timing and no overheating or pinging- 15 miles on a 100 degree day. I actually could hardly tell I was hauling until I hit the brakes. I bet the way your engine is set up now, I could beat you in a 1/8 mile drag race. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying that it's not the parts fault in this case.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja Reply with quote

As others have said, more compression and more timing.

I would not run 91 octane with the hemi heads as you will never have enough compression to need it and you will be slowing the burn down. for now keep to 87 max. What have you been using?

No offence but saying 7:1 sounds very generic. do you really know what it is? what are your deck height and chamber ccs??? are the heads full hemi or semi hemi?

You probably don't want to pull the heads off and get any machine work done but you could flycut them a little to bring the compression up a bit. You can also make sure that the deck height is as tight as can be. I would shoot for .035 to .040 MAX.

And also, as stated, timing needs to be increased as the chamber is larger and will take more timing to get a complete burn in the entire (now larger) chamber. I would start at 34 at max advance and go up 2 degrees at a time. Have heard of some hemi engines liking 36 to 40.

Also, low compression engines can need more timing because the fuel mix in the chamber is less dense....

What is your timing set at now?

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
vdub516
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja update... Reply with quote

ON the note of "this motor sounds perfect for a turbo" any DIY turbo come to mind?
I will be putting on Dual 44's this week and looking into small tires for a try at the quarter mile.
Would any change in pulleys be advised?
And a spark plug temp change and gap?
It has a close ratio box now with 33's so I am anxious to see what the motor really has on some smaller tires, any size more common then others?
Thank you for any help or suggestions.!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja update... Reply with quote

so many ways to go with this. I would not run 87 oct. I would raise the cr to atleast 9 and use 92 or 93 oct fuel and tune from there....personaly i would cut the heads so they have some quench pad and then get .035" piston to head clearance max (for me I would shoot for .020 ~.025" piston to head clearance on this combo) and add 1.34 rockers,good luck and have fun.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja update... Reply with quote

.020-.025 Deck Height????

You rebel!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja update... Reply with quote

with those heads and with me measuring and building it...yup.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja Reply with quote

midtravelmidengine wrote:
As others have said, more compression and more timing.
And also, as stated, timing needs to be increased as the chamber is larger and will take more timing to get a complete burn in the entire (now larger) chamber. I would start at 34 at max advance and go up 2 degrees at a time. Have heard of semi-hemi engines liking 36 to 40. Well maybe more like 34-40
What is your timing set at now?

I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I just want to ask a question regarding semi-hemi cut heads and timing.
I have a 1679cc engine. With semi-hemi cut heads. Web-cam 119* dual 32/34 PSDIT single throats. 1 3/8" exhaust, oh oh 9 dist. 91 octane pump gas
After reading the above information. I set the engine timing at 34* all in. It ran way better with no pinging on hard acceleration.
It's a little late here. But tomorrow I'm gonna bump up the timing to 36* and see what gives. And then take it from there.
My question is, and I assume, that when the engine begins to ping. It happens under hard acceleration. Is this correct?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vdub516
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Advice 1904 Gene Berg Heads/baja update... Reply with quote

I believe it will start to PING at a little high idle. I called and they said all the way to 40-42 degrees of timing. But were not very informative after that...?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: