Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake pedal return
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: brake pedal return Reply with quote

Just noticed my brake pedal doesn't return all the way. Haven't looked underneath there yet. Is there a return spring or could this be a problem with the master cylinder? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: brake pedal return Reply with quote

How far down does it stick?
There is a coil return spring that is wrapped around the cross shaft that the pedal rides on.

There are also springs inside the master cylinder.

Typically if there is nothing in the way of the pedal....like carpet or the under,steering column cover.....mthe only two things that can stop the pedal from coming up all the way is either a severely rust cross shaft.....but that is fairly rare because there are bronze bushings on it.... .or the mater cylinder itself is going bad inside. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: brake pedal return Reply with quote

I did give it a visual inspection, and there doesn't seem to be a rust problem but it is very dirty around the spring. The MC doesn't take hold until the pedal is down quite a bit, and then it brakes OK. I can pull the pedal up by hand, but it doesn't seem to pump any fluid in to offset the soft pedal. I suspect the MC will have to come out for a rebuild. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: brake pedal return Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I did give it a visual inspection, and there doesn't seem to be a rust problem but it is very dirty around the spring. The MC doesn't take hold until the pedal is down quite a bit, and then it brakes OK. I can pull the pedal up by hand, but it doesn't seem to pump any fluid in to offset the soft pedal. I suspect the MC will have to come out for a rebuild. Bob

Yep...thats what it sounds like. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pedal return Reply with quote

I recall in a previous thread I think you said the Type 3 kit would work except for the pistons. Is that correct?? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pedal return Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I recall in a previous thread I think you said the Type 3 kit would work except for the pistons. Is that correct?? Bob

Yes....a universal type 3 kit for either FAG or ATE will work. Seals and flap valves only.

In the past I have swapped in some springs from the new kit when they fit.....but that was long ago. Until I have time to do some planned testing...comparing actual spring compression in type 3 versus 4 cylinders...stick with your stock type 4 springs.

Rockauto has a Raybestos type 3 kit for $25.79.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: