Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone here Doomsday Prepper?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Anyone here a 'prepper'?

Thought about buying some forest land property for future or eventual use...just in case.

Stocking up on many things. A running aircooled VW will definitely come in handy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

When the shit hits the fan the most important thing you can have is drinkable water. You can only live 2 days without it. Don't matter how many guns you own or 100,000 rounds of ammo. Without drinkable water your only going to be alive 2 days. If you dig a bunker and burry yourself underground you will be living in your own toilet in 3 days.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
PF63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

And i heard the radiators on those old aircooled vws always leaked😂😂
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Maybe I'm kicking the hornets nest here, but what the hell.

Isn't the whole prepper thing going a bit too far? What are you really trying to prepare yourself and your family for that won't be otherwise survivable? Nuclear fallout? Zombie apocalypse? Natural disaster?

Hurricane Katrina basically wiped out most of New Orleans (and many other areas), but most of the nearly 2,000 deaths were the elderly who drowned in the initial deluge. Prepping in this case would not have necessarily saved you.

Mt St Helens, 1980. 57 casualties and almost all of them died from asphyxiation during the initial eruption. A bunker in the woods was just as effective as a rambler in the burbs as far as survival. No need to stock up on dried food.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Yes, my VW still has carbs and points. No EFI, electronic points replacements or other electronics to fail after a EMP.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Yes, my VW still has carbs and points. No EFI, electronic points replacements or other electronics to fail after a EMP.

And you always have your trusty bicycle, too.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Biggest problem with prepping is knowing what you're prepping for. Nuclear disaster, pandemic, breakdown of society, solar flare, dirty bomb, alien attack, Zombie apocolypse, collapse of economy, giant meteor strike, Nuclear winter, Giant volcano or feminist takeover.
Each one of those requires a different angle on prepping. Hunker down or quick evacuation? Become a hermit or build a commune? Barter with gold, water, food, weapons or women?
Too many variables to cover all your bases. If you get it wrong you might as well have done nothing at all.
Anyway, the absolute worst thing you could do as a prepper is to let anyone know you're a prepper. I don't have to collect any food or water as long as I know someone else who has. And be just a little meaner and sneakier than him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

LOL, prepper predator.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Four words: Water, toilet paper, beer. Nothing else will matter.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

The ammo I collect is for putting fresh meat on the table. And the other to neutralize intruders/zombies. Laughing

The forest land I am wanting is w/ running water from a year-round stream or even a river.

You could do a lot w/ a heavily forested land for survival. Going back to basics seems like a nice change from all the hustle and buzzle we got now. I am so ready to take it back down few notches.

I have no issues killing my dinner running across the yard when they are in season. Grow my own fruits and vegetables and rely on nobody.

Probably closer to starting a homestead rather than prepping. I cannot imagine being in the times during the great depression.

I wonder how much gunpowder and projectiles you will need to store to last you awhile.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
The ammo I collect is for putting fresh meat on the table. And the other to neutralize intruders/zombies. Laughing

The forest land I am wanting is w/ running water from a year-round stream or even a river.

You could do a lot w/ a heavily forested land for survival. Going back to basics seems like a nice change from all the hustle and buzzle we got now. I am so ready to take it back down few notches.

I have no issues killing my dinner running across the yard when they are in season. Grow my own fruits and vegetables and rely on nobody.

Probably closer to starting a homestead rather than prepping. I cannot imagine being in the times during the great depression.

I wonder how much gunpowder and projectiles you will need to store to last you awhile.

rough day at the office?

no need for a gun to get fresh meat-caveman survived...

make sure your at the origin of that stream or water....'cause shit runs down hill and ppl will be bathing and pissing up stream..

Topic for discussion:
How much land is needed for one individual to "live off the land " and be self-sufficient?

an acre of corn won't feed you for a year....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Going off grid is one thing, but depending on what sort of doomsday scenario you're prepping for, water storage is a definite must. In the event of a nuclear or other type of dirty bomb, the first thing contaminated would be rivers & streams as the rain washes the contaminates into them.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

An acre cannot feed two goats. You are better off w/ at least 100 acres or so.

A friend of mine got me collecting axes too. You can survive nicely w/ just one axe in the woods. Very Happy

An abandoned farmland will be the ideal place to hunker down. It will have everything else in there you need to survive. A working farmland is not cheap though.

I am seriously thinking about retreating in the woods when time to retire. Only come out when time for my dental and medical checkups. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

You can either work to make money to purchase the items you need, or you can make a full time job out of growing & harvesting your own food. I would think that you would need a minimum of 50-100 acres to be fully self sufficient with parts for growing your own crops, part for living quarters & part for hunting.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
An acre cannot feed two goats. You are better off w/ at least 100 acres or so.

A friend of mine got me collecting axes too. You can survive nicely w/ just one axe in the woods. Very Happy

An abandoned farmland will be the ideal place to hunker down. It will have everything else in there you need to survive. A working farmland is not cheap though.

I am seriously thinking about retreating in the woods when time to retire. Only come out when time for my dental and medical checkups. Very Happy

I thought you bought some abandoned house/garage in Nebraska. Confused
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

I have that home still. Just looking for other options on how to live out the rest of my life. Laughing

I feel like I am choking in the city anymore. Too many humans. I just want to see animals and trees for a change.
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

I understand being prepared for short term situations: hurricanes, ice storms, nasty Nor'easters, maybe short term political unrest or very localized terrorism.....

An alternate source of heat/power....maybe some extra non-perishable food....I get that, too.

Being more self-sufficient, learning how to do a lot of stuff on your own (plumbing, electrical, building, mechanics), moving out away from people....sure, sign me up....

But struggling to survive a really cataclysmic event.....just put me right under the nuke or whatever, really, I don't want to be around a world like that....

Rod
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

What rod mullet said. Look up and watch it pierce your dome.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Comments frequently heard after a local goes nuts and commits a mass murder or other heinious act .....

"He was such a quiet boy."

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Comments frequently heard after a local goes nuts and commits a mass murder or other heinious act .....

"He was such a quiet boy."

"Those" have nothing else better going, usually. Sad wheny they take along innocent others. Why can't they just off themselves in their basement.

We are sorrounded by nutcases! Hence, my desire to move away from these same types.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: