Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone here Doomsday Prepper?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
(yadda yadda blah blah)... , but to suggest a person with 16 children can somehow sit around living a life of leisure, is just not reality.

Yeah.. ^..

It's hard enough for me alone to keep up maintenance of our of personal vehicles and fossil fuel powered toys.... I couldn't imagine having to deal with 2 1/2 basketball teams..... and a water boy.. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

it's hard to tell how much work 16 are... at some point, you have to learn to delegate (like our grand-parents did with our parents).

i have 3, and there's no way in hell i'd survive with 16 if the family dynamic was the same.

in another hand.. 16, really? At some point the girl might want to consider closing her legs, or getting neutered...
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

To get back on topic;
I love to make fun of "preppers."
First I have to give my resume, so you know I speak from experience. When I was young, Ronald Rayguns had us all convinced the Russians were going to kill us, and I bought into that. I wanted to live like Sylvan Hart anyway,
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Mountain-Men-Story-Solitary/dp/0960356665,
so I went to Alaska and tried to live out in the wilderness. After a month or so, I realized being totally alone is not that great.
Later, I had a gal who was into being self sufficient, and we lived like that, one Thanksgiving we served dinner where we grew everything on the table. I even grew the wheat to make the bread.

The main problem I have with preppers is that they have no idea what they are talking about, but somehow think they are smarter than everyone else, and they will be the ones to survive. They won't. You can tell from what they focus on. They think gold and silver will be valuable. No, what would be valuable is shampoo and Tylenol. The idea that anyone could live without the things that society provides is ridiculous. If there is total chaos, we will die, you could live a little longer fighting off the "Walking Dead" , but why bother? The Doomsday these people hope for could only be survived by someone in the very far reaches of wilderness, and that's not something you can just do whenever you feel like it.
To the OP, you are in Virginia. There is no place east of Montana where you could survive a doomsday, don't spend any energy thinking about it.

One last reference for anyone interested, this book was the first post apocalypse story, it's really good.
https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Abides-George-R-Stewart/dp/0345487133
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

My grandmother used to tell us stories of their experiences during WWII. I remember her saying the hardest things to come by were soap and salt. There were always plenty to eat in the countryside.

Well, she has never experienced winter. When I was stationed in Minot, ND we packed survival gears..food, water, so on.. in our cars for the winter. If you get stuck out there and no gear, you will be dead.

We used to retrieve broken down vehicles out in the middle of nowhere in dead of winter.

Survival skills are a must. Can you imagine if the first few pilgrims just decided it was too hard and why bother?

There is always that human will to survive.

And if anything bad happens here, i will just make my way down to TX -where they have a lot of wild pigs. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

People have been talking about the end of the earth/time/doomsday/etc. for many, many years.

I'm going to roll the dice and bet it won't happen in my lifetime. If it does, I guess I won't be prepared.

I'll prepare for my demise in some ways - saving for retirement, one story house, etc. but not for anything major like a zombie apocalypse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Komissar wrote:
I think that long time prepping is only doable if you are organized in a small community, comprising of several or more healthy and able adults. Of course it's better to have that community located in remote areas, preferably mountain areas with temperate climate (so that the area is covered in woods and vegetation).

There was an interesting article in the NYT yesterday that you might enjoy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/opinion/the-great-affluence-fallacy.html?src=me&_r=0

Quote:
In 18th-century America, colonial society and Native American society sat side by side. The former was buddingly commercial; the latter was communal and tribal. As time went by, the settlers from Europe noticed something: No Indians were defecting to join colonial society, but many whites were defecting to live in the Native American one.

This struck them as strange. Colonial society was richer and more advanced. And yet people were voting with their feet the other way.

The colonials occasionally tried to welcome Native American children into their midst, but they couldn’t persuade them to stay. Benjamin Franklin observed the phenomenon in 1753, writing, “When an Indian child has been brought up among us, taught our language and habituated to our customs, yet if he goes to see his relations and make one Indian ramble with them, there is no persuading him ever to return.”

During the wars with the Indians, many European settlers were taken prisoner and held within Indian tribes. After a while, they had plenty of chances to escape and return, and yet they did not. In fact, when they were “rescued,” they fled and hid from their rescuers.

Sometimes the Indians tried to forcibly return the colonials in a prisoner swap, and still the colonials refused to go. In one case, the Shawanese Indians were compelled to tie up some European women in order to ship them back. After they were returned, the women escaped the colonial towns and ran back to the Indians.

Even as late as 1782, the pattern was still going strong. Hector de Crèvecoeur wrote, “Thousands of Europeans are Indians, and we have no examples of even one of those aborigines having from choice become European.”

And yet, in the Declaration of Independence it is written we are "Merciless Indian Savages"
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/05/13/declaration-independence-except-indian-savages

So yeah, my tribe has already suffered doomsday and didn't survive intact.
Now I watch "doomsday" prepping with a silly grin.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Can you imagine if the first few pilgrims just decided it was too hard and why bother?

yup, this land would be full of Indians

no more thanksgivings

and texas would be full of wild turkeys Laughing Laughing
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Burn the bridges and shoot the swimmers. It pays to live next to the Grand Canyon. If any of you fuckers think you're gunna escape California/Nevada/ Arizona and come up into So. Utah you're in for a BIG surprise. At least stay on I-15.

Only by Spit or Blood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Vanhag wrote:
Burn the bridges and shoot the swimmers. It pays to live next to the Grand Canyon. If any of you fuckers think you're gunna escape California/Nevada/ Arizona and come up into So. Utah you're in for a BIG surprise. At least stay on I-15.

Only by Spit or Blood.

Nobody's trying to head to Utah to live out the end days with you an your 13 wives.
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Vanhag wrote:

Only by Spit or Blood.

Nobody's trying to head to Utah to live out the end days with you an your 13 wives.

Don't hate the player....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Splitting time between the city and the woods seems the ideal scenario. My wife could probably put up w/ stuff like that for a week or so. She already said she does not care where it is as long as there are showers. Laughing

I kind of like the setup they have at campsites where you can put up tents or rent a cabin but there are public showers all around. I would probably setup a piece of land like that w/ deep well and then a building dedicated for showers and cooking and stuff.

I am very proficient w/ an axe. I figure, if I could only have one tool it will be an axe. People have only had that tool back in the day and able to clear land and put up a decent dwelling.

Speaking of firearms for prepping, there are tons of brand new German Mausers for cheap. And ammo too still in sardine cans. Modern firearms are not exactly cheap.

I just have a co-worker retire at 64yr and he is all done. Single and moving to the woods. He is very handy. We get together on few occassions and talk about things like this.

Hi,

The first thing you need to do is realise that society and money are constructs. Abandon both, then make your own. It is easier than it seems. You work all your life to make money to be part of society. Then you 'retire' after selling the good years of your life and health and family time. And you do it because you are fooled to think it must be so. Fuck all that. You have to have the balls to stop the cycle and use your time for things that REALLY matter, like family and self development etc. You'll always meet resistance so just do it quietly and simply and with dignity. It does not need to be a dramatic change. You'll find you will need little, and your mind can focus on real things, not just constructed false idols. With clarity comes peace. Just shut off the noise around you for a while and think it simply through. Life's not complicated.

Good luck.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Vanhag wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:
Vanhag wrote:

Only by Spit or Blood.

Don't hate the player....

Play on player.. How do you keep em all happy? Rotate the grumpy ones to the barn until moral improves?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

There was some sort of reality show a while back on Netflix where they evaluated preppers and their set up. Some of these people were absolutely insane. Like filling shipping containers with dry food and running around with assault rifles. One guy had a flat-out compound created.

Even the crazy isolated ones didn't "survive" most scenarios. A closet full of water and cereal with a handgun isn't really going to work out all that well.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

13 wives?

I wouldn't want to be around when the crap hits the fan. It's hard enough to keep one happy in good times much less 13 in panic mode. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

With 13 wives,that's the ultimate doomsday prepping. You can't get away from crazy. But if you can survive that, crawling into a hole in the ground to wait a nuclear winter would welcomed for sure.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Speaking of multiple spouses, if one demands a divorce, does she get half? or in the case of 13 wives, do they divide by 14 & she gets her share? Or he has his half & the other half is divided by 13 & then she gets her share? No wonder it's illegal.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

13 wives??/ thats a lot of tampons to stock up on..
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

13 wives is what western men get.

Jihadi John gets 70 virgins when he blows himself up. Laughing

Or...maybe it was 70 VIRGILS!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

But it doesn't say is those virgins were women. Maybe it's the other bombers before him?

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
But it doesn't say is those virgins were women. Maybe it's the other bombers before him?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: