Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone here Doomsday Prepper?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

You mean to say our ISIS brothers are waiting to be shafted in the afterlife? Laughing Laughing

Man those assholes are suckers! Why in hell would you strap a bomb on your ass so you can get virgins? There are plenteous here on earth for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Ten pounds each of rice and beans, water, spam. It'll get you through a few days then you get on down the road looking for abandoned volkswagens.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

How about getting to your "get away" place when doomsday arrives? Assuming you even survive the catastrophe, you think the roads will be free and clear for you to get through? And if "someone" sees you heading to a remote part of the woods they might just follow you there?

It is like the story of two guys being chased by a bear. First guy says "do you think you can run faster than the bear?". Second guy says "I only have to run faster than you."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
How about getting to your "get away" place when doomsday arrives? Assuming you even survive the catastrophe, you think the roads will be free and clear for you to get through? And if "someone" sees you heading to a remote part of the woods they might just follow you there?

It is like the story of two guys being chased by a bear. First guy says "do you think you can run faster than the bear?". Second guy says "I only have to run faster than you."

Doomsday my arse. Why not find a nice simple life somewhere right now? Then you don't need to go anywhere specific at any time. What a waste to have some nice place where you could survive without money or societal constraints and associated pressures. Here, look, I saw a Cree proverb on the side of a trikers caravan today and it reminded me of this thread, so I looked it up to see if there was some similar wisdom that could be shared. Of course there was, because in the time before this, when people had time to think without the noise and bullshit that makes everyone turn on everyone else, and think of digging in to fight for survival, people were living just fine and happily together without the false ideals of politics, power, money etc:

So I didn't have to look far after finding the proverb on the www....

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realise we cannot eat money

Cree Indian Proverb

..... to find a quote that explains it all so simply:

"Before our white brothers arrived to make us civilized men,
we didn't have any kind of prison. Because of this, we had no delinquents.
Without a prison, there can be no delinquents.
We had no locks nor keys and therefore among us there were no thieves.
When someone was so poor that he couldn't afford a horse, a tent or a blanket,
he would, in that case, receive it all as a gift.
We were too uncivilized to give great importance to private property.
We didn't know any kind of money and consequently, the value of a human being
was not determined by his wealth.
We had no written laws laid down, no lawyers, no politicians,
therefore we were not able to cheat and swindle one another.
We were really in bad shape before the white men arrived and I don't know
how to explain how we were able to manage without these fundamental things
that (so they tell us) are so necessary for a civilized society. "

John (Fire) Lame Deer
Sioux Lakota - 1903-1976

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

Doomsday my arse. Why not find a nice simple life somewhere right now? Then you don't need to go anywhere specific at any time. What a waste to have some nice place where you could survive without money or societal constraints and associated pressures. Here, look, I saw a Cree proverb on the side of a trikers caravan today and it reminded me of this thread, so I looked it up to see if there was some similar wisdom that could be shared. Of course there was, because in the time before this, when people had time to think without the noise and bullshit that makes everyone turn on everyone else, and think of digging in to fight for survival, people were living just fine and happily together without the false ideals of politics, power, money etc:

Cree Indian Proverb

John (Fire) Lame Deer
Sioux Lakota - 1903-1976

Sorry, this is all a crock. Anecdotes, poetry and wishful thinking can't compete with archaeological facts.

Pre-contact indigenous populations lived lives of competition and warfare, not some peaceful Utopia.

Quote:
....For instance, archaeologists working on the Saunaktuk Inuit site on the Beaufort Sea, in the Northwest Territories of Canada, have recovered the remains of many women and children that show violent death and dismemberment. In Arnhem Land in northern Australia, a study of warfare among the Murngin people in the late-19th century found that over a 20-year period no less than 200 out of 800 men, or 25 percent of all adult males, had been killed in intertribal warfare.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2003/aug/16/20030816-105047-3673r/
Quote:

among the indigenous peoples of the Americas, only 13% did not engage in wars with their neighbors at least once per year. The natives' pre-Columbian ancient practice of using human scalps as trophies is well documented. Iroquois routinely slowly tortured to death captured enemy warriors (see Captives in American Indian Wars for details). In some regions of the American Southwest, the violent destruction of prehistoric settlements is well documented and during some periods was even common. For example, the large pueblo at Sand Canyon in Colorado, although protected by a defensive wall, was almost entirely burned, artifacts in the rooms had been deliberately smashed, and bodies of some victims were left lying on the floors. After this catastrophe in the late thirteenth century, the pueblo was never reoccupied.

Quote:

For example, at Crow Creek in South Dakota, archaeologists found a mass grave containing the remains of more than 500 men, women, and children who had been slaughtered, scalped, and mutilated during an attack on their village a century and a half before Columbus's arrival (ca. 1325 AD). The Crow Creek massacre seems to have occurred just when the village's fortifications were being rebuilt. All the houses were burned, and most of the inhabitants were murdered. This death toll represented more than 60% of the village's population, estimated from the number of houses to have been about 800. The survivors appear to have been primarily young women, as their skeletons are underrepresented among the bones; if so, they were probably taken away as captives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Before_Civilization

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's a reason history is about clans, tribes, and nation-states. Solitary survivalists and weak teams out in the woods are rolled up by stronger, more organized groups. Better to figure out how to be part of a powerful clan than have a bunch of dried beans.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Back on topic, a relation of mine prepped for Y2K. I'm in the computer industry, and tried to tell him that the billions spent on upgrades and remediation were going to prevent an Apocalypse. But he nonetheless spent a bunch on enough freeze-dried food to feed his family of four for a year.

I think he still has it. I went ahead and bought some pasta and bottled water from Costco. Generators and water pumps don't care what day it is, but I thought if something happened it may take a few days to spin the dates back on any broken systems till they figured out how to fix it.

I was actually disappointed that absolutely nothing happened. I figured at least we'd have some cute stories of someone being charged for 100 years of interest or getting some huge erroneous pension check.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

^^^ During the approach to Y2K, I worked with a guy who thought the world was gonna crash, at least for a few days. We worked at the local ski hill, and he and his wife decided they would camp out in the woods for the night, then maybe a few days until everything blew over.

About two hours after they started off to the woods (wintertime, remember) they came trudging back into the ski shop, disgruntled. When we asked why they came back, his wife blunty stated "we forgot to pack the food."
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ During the approach to Y2K, I worked with a guy who thought the world was gonna crash, at least for a few days. We worked at the local ski hill, and he and his wife decided they would camp out in the woods for the night, then maybe a few days until everything blew over.

About two hours after they started off to the woods (wintertime, remember) they came trudging back into the ski shop, disgruntled. When we asked why they came back, his wife blunty stated "we forgot to pack the food."

Preparatiowned. Laughing
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

ONEBADBUG wrote:
To get back on topic;
I love to make fun of "preppers."
First I have to give my resume, so you know I speak from experience. When I was young, Ronald Rayguns had us all convinced the Russians were going to kill us, and I bought into that. I wanted to live like Sylvan Hart anyway,
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Mountain-Men-Story-Solitary/dp/0960356665,
so I went to Alaska and tried to live out in the wilderness. After a month or so, I realized being totally alone is not that great.
Later, I had a gal who was into being self sufficient, and we lived like that, one Thanksgiving we served dinner where we grew everything on the table. I even grew the wheat to make the bread.

The main problem I have with preppers is that they have no idea what they are talking about, but somehow think they are smarter than everyone else, and they will be the ones to survive. They won't. You can tell from what they focus on. They think gold and silver will be valuable. No, what would be valuable is shampoo and Tylenol. The idea that anyone could live without the things that society provides is ridiculous. If there is total chaos, we will die, you could live a little longer fighting off the "Walking Dead" , but why bother? The Doomsday these people hope for could only be survived by someone in the very far reaches of wilderness, and that's not something you can just do whenever you feel like it.
To the OP, you are in Virginia. There is no place east of Montana where you could survive a doomsday, don't spend any energy thinking about it.

One last reference for anyone interested, this book was the first post apocalypse story, it's really good.
https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Abides-George-R-Stewart/dp/0345487133

It's not just preppers who think they're tired of society and end up failing. I live in a rural area "off the beaten path" and have had interesting conversations with real estate agents over the years regarding people who have that dream about moving "away from society". They've said most, if not all, give up after two years, maybe three tops. Things people don't consider:
    Increased fuel expenses and associated automotive maintenance.
    Having to plan trips for groceries and household goods.
    Increased maintenance for property (mowing, tree trimming, fencing).
    Increased house insurance premiums due to distance from the closets fire hydrant or fire station.
    Lack of available high speed Internet service.
    Issues with cell phone service.
    Dealing with idiot neighbors whose dogs run wild.
    Unable to travel due to inclement weather. In the winter, we're some of the last areas where the main road is plowed. Last year, rains were so intense several roads washed out which meant major changes & delays for the morning commute.
    Lengthened delays during electrical outages. Again, remote areas are down on the list.
    No gas service out here, so I have to keep an eye on my 500 gallon propane tank.
    Dealing with mother nature (snakes, scorpions). This year was the first in quite a while I only found one scorpion in my house.

As others have suggested, people should just have a get-away spot for weekends or extended stays. As far as the notion society is going to collapse and they have thing figure out -- well I have a roll of foil in the kitchen for those folks they can use to make some hats.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

Cree Indian Proverb

John (Fire) Lame Deer
Sioux Lakota - 1903-1976

Sorry, this is all a crock. Anecdotes, poetry and wishful thinking can't compete with archaeological facts.

Well, sorry back to you Mr Zeen, but the spoken and written word has been the method of communication for a long time and tends to record first hand experience. Peoples, clans and families pass down their history and beliefs and learnings as stories, poetry and sayings by spoken and written word. Archaeology is a relatively new form of discerning past events in comparison to the analysis of text and spoken word. Archaeology has been for a long time a subjective art more than an objective science. It is only in the last 50 years that archaeology is becoming more scientific based.

Zeen wrote:

Pre-contact indigenous populations lived lives of competition and warfare, not some peaceful Utopia.

etc..

According to one author, Steven A LeBlanc? Who is an archaeologist? I'm not arguing that there was no dissent, or warfare between tribes anyway. When I read the quotes above from the Injuns, I took them to be within the context of a tribe or people, not across all tribes and people. Basically, that's why there were separate tribes and peoples, because they had separate beliefs or existences. It is widely documented that separate beliefs are a fundamental driver of warfare, so we're not learning anything new.

The purpose of the quotes was to bring some food for thought to the whole Doomsday prepping situation. They describe a philosophy of successfully living with nature and fellow man in a simpler non-technology dependant manner without the pretentious constructs of money (wealth) and the notion of a 'civilised' society as a set of rules/beliefs/characteristics/morals/culture that is forced upon all people, when some could do fine without - and have that choice.

The problem with archaeology is it may tell you what an archaeologist believes to have happened or can prove to a scientific extent, but the 'why' and 'how' is subjective and more a philosophical study.

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Back on topic, a relation of mine prepped for Y2K. I'm in the computer industry, and tried to tell him that the billions spent on upgrades and remediation were going to prevent an Apocalypse. But he nonetheless spent a bunch on enough freeze-dried food to feed his family of four for a year.

I think he still has it. I went ahead and bought some pasta and bottled water from Costco. Generators and water pumps don't care what day it is, but I thought if something happened it may take a few days to spin the dates back on any broken systems till they figured out how to fix it.

I was actually disappointed that absolutely nothing happened. I figured at least we'd have some cute stories of someone being charged for 100 years of interest or getting some huge erroneous pension check.

Well if we were to get on topic, then the first thing I'd like to know is what is the specific nature of the Doomsday we are discussing?

OP - could you describe Doomsday.

Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Doomsday: My Girlfriend suddenly loses her breasts and vagina, our VWs disappeared, no more coffee or alcohol, then that last one in the chamber is for you know who. Yes, Life is that simple.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Question for the gun nuts.

First a little background. I was on a shooting team in high school. I can hit a running chipmunk with a 22. Shooting chipmunks is a requirement when sitting on grandma's back porch. I obviously do not object to guns.

Grandma's neighbor is a prepper, and regularly meets and converses with the doomsday crowd. He has 9 assault rifles and numerous other guns. When you ask him why he needs 9 assault rifles you get a lot of slogans from the NRA, every other one being "second amendment" and no coherent thought anywhere in the tirade. This seems a bit oblivious to me since he knows we regularly shoot, support the right to bear arms, and at least a few of us can outshoot him. We really are curious as to what going through his mind needing that much firepower that one or maybe two assault rifles would not suffice to hold off whatever army is attacking his home. Maybe one of you recognizes yourself in my description and can say something other than NRA slogans.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

I don't consider myself a gun nut, nor do I own an "assault rifle", but I am guessing he is working from a standpoint of fear. Whether real, or fantasy, fear is a great motivator. The NRA peddles it constantly and gun sales go through the roof.

That said, a reason I have heard from folks "in the know" for having multiple firearms and a cache of ammo is so you can bring others into the fold should the need arise. Same goes for having ammo handy that you may not have a suitable firearm. Ammo makes good trading stock.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Doomsday: My Girlfriend suddenly loses her breasts and vagina, our VWs disappeared, no more coffee or alcohol, then that last one in the chamber is for you know who. Yes, Life is that simple.

nail on the head. directly.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

First a little background. I was on a shooting team in high school. I can hit a running chipmunk with a 22. Shooting chipmunks is a requirement when sitting on grandma's back porch. I obviously do not object to guns.

Grandma's neighbor is a prepper, and regularly meets and converses with the doomsday crowd. He has 9 assault rifles and numerous other guns. When you ask him why he needs 9 assault rifles you get a lot of slogans from the NRA, every other one being "second amendment" and no coherent thought anywhere in the tirade. This seems a bit oblivious to me since he knows we regularly shoot, support the right to bear arms, and at least a few of us can outshoot him. We really are curious as to what going through his mind needing that much firepower that one or maybe two assault rifles would not suffice to hold off whatever army is attacking his home. Maybe one of you recognizes yourself in my description and can say something other than NRA slogans.

Perhaps if/when the shit hits the fan, he sees you all as the chipmunks Laughing Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Some people collect books, some like shoes, some like outrageously expensive watches, & others collect cars. There are the really sick ones that collect STDs (& share) or toe nail clippings. In many cases, one cannot use more than one at a time (or ever once it's obtained). Outside of collecting chipmunk carcasses, what do you collect? How is their obsession any different?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:

Laughing Laughing
Jeezus, yes an epidemic of titlessness would be a disaster for the mainstream male and baby. Paedophiles, gay men, straight women and some religious clergy would survive unscathed.

fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

my doomsday prep i got from my father, good hunter,fishing and firemaker, other than that my plan has allways been to be smarter than the next lotsoguys, simply outsmart everyone... that is it
fabricator john
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here Doomsday Prepper? Reply with quote

fabricator john wrote:
my doomsday prep i got from my father, good hunter,fishing and firemaker, other than that my plan has allways been to be smarter than the next lotsoguys, simply outsmart everyone... that is it
fabricator john

Hanging around here and with other more experienced vw people I feel new and intimidated. I've been wrenching and welding and doing "handy" things my whole life. I still learn every day. I'm in no way a "survivalist", but when I see joe blow watching in amazement as someone else changes their central air filter or clears a clog or guts a fish that I feel like I may be smarter than the average bear.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: