Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970/1971 Porsche 914/4
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

So a guy I bought a wonderful, very original 65 beetle from, is giving away ($300) a Porsche 914/4. Motor and transmission are intact, last ran 3 years ago. Fuel injected, targa top and most parts are there. Battery tray was mint, he pulled it and put it in his Keeper 71. So there is no battery tray. Pans do need attention, the extent I'm not sure. I do not know much (anything really) about these hated or loved cruisers. I am familiar with the type 4 motors, thoug the D-electronic fuel injection is completely foreign.
What are locating parts like?
What are the most concerns for these things??
Cleaned up, running smoothly, and complete, what are these things worth, pricing seems to be all over the place, and really only compatible between California and Europe markets.
Here are a couple tough pictures, more to come:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

Have you bought yet or are contemplating? Check out 914world.com for tons of information and a bigger community specific to the 914.

'Teeners are certainly a love / hate vehicle. Those who love tend to have multiple, those who hate tend to call them the "poor man's porsche" or "bastard porsche". Myself, I think they are pretty damn cool.

However, they are prone to serious rust that will eat a car from the inside out. The removal of the battery tray you mentioned makes me nervous as that is where water starts to collect and run down into the longitudinal support rails under the doors ("longs" or rockers as we call them).

The rust along the bottom of the door and rust in floors lead me to believe this car has been sitting, and bodes poorly for the crucial structural components of this 914. Proceed with caution. See if you can get more pictures inside of the engine compartment (google search "porsche 914 hell hole" to see what I mean). Also, get those rocker panel covers off (black covers below doors) and look around the jack points.

Parts are fairly easy to come by, but add a factor of 1.5X on top of typical prices for "good quality" beetle parts. Of course, there are some specialty parts that are no longer available and fetch huge premiums. Lots of parts to be had on the second hand market as so many of these have been scrapped or left to rust over the years.

Despite what many people think / say, these are not "VWs" and do not share many parts. Yes, the design is similar and you will immediately recognize the heritage, but the physical "nuts and bolts" themselves are different.

The OE fuel injection can be troublesome to get running, but is said to be fairly reliable. Lots of guys switch to carbs - there is a big debate on this.

Prices... well, it all depends. For this specific car, it is likely you will have more in it through "rustoration" than it will be worth over the next 5-10 years. Primo 73-74, 2.0L 914's can reach up to $30-35k or more if fully restored. Concours cars will likely field more than that. 1.7/1.8L cars do not have as much inherit value, and will see $20-25k for a restored example. 914/6 cars can see values over $100k.

I personally would run away from this one at first sight. In my mind this is a "parts car" as it sits.

Here's what I see...
-$1500-2000 in sheet metal patch panels alone + labor to install
-$1000-1500 in paint prep (blast, etc.)
-$5000+ for a "good" paint job
-$5000+ for a quality engine rebuild (plus tranny?)
-$1000-1500 in suspension components
-$1000+ in interior components (nice that this car has "rare" white interior, plus $800 if you want a new rubber dash to replace that cracked one)
-$2000 in wheels and tires (get rid of those vw hubcabs...)
-$2000 in misc. parts, powdercoating, plating, etc.
-$$$$ Some sort of 10-15% contingency allowance
-Countless hours of labor not factored into this equation

I'm over $20k there for a car that won't likely be worth it in the end. Yes, these cars are increasing in value due to the recent "porsche craze" (rising tide... all ships... etc.). Yes, these things are cool, exotic, unique, etc.

But, for the money you'll put in, you can get a much better car that will require much less work. A lot of people seem to stumble into these cars because the find one / know someone who is giving one away... Well, there's usually a reason they are so cheap.

My '75 2.0L with no major rust, original paint, original interior, all new components to put together hi-po engine, rebuilt tranny, all pieces there, etc.

And all of the parts:

Best of luck & check out 914world
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

AggieZig, thank you for your descriptive input. That was exactly what I was wanting to know, I had done some part searches for cost and availability, though not too crazy, the poor thing seems like it'd be a money pit. Also looking around, aside from the UK and Cali, you can get a good runner for a few thousand. Perhaps I'll find a better one, and I'll have the inside scoop of a decent parts car.
Thanks again, have a good weekend.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

the d jet is a joy to run, easy to trouble shoot. I love my 914, greatest handling vw!

main thing to avoid is serious rust, battery acid ca ruin them cars, acid is washed down i to the rocker by rain water, and when that goes the car tends to fold in half. the passenver door gap appears ok in the photo, that is a good sign.

parts are plentify, I have a shed full of them!

want any parts????

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

Gary is about 1 1/2 from me, I've been waiting on pictures of the thing but haven't gotten anything in detail. I have noticed some items are pricey interior wise, and it is missing what seems to be quite a bit in the dash. Floor pans are around $200 a pan, it's intact other than what seems to be wear and tear.
I am wanting a fun cruiser, something to zip through the curves in, the bus is great, can borrow the bug from pop anytime. I can't decide if I want to buy a bug, drop a 1915 in it, or clean up a 914. Yes, they're funky, not the sexiest car, but all read says they are a blast to cruise around. My only concern would be fitting in the thing, I've never sat in one. I'm 6' 4", not trying to look like a giraffe in a jeep.
Insight is greatly appreciated guys.

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

You should fit in fine.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

So I guess a better question, what do running 914/4 go for around the southeastern areas? Again, the market seems wacky because everything is cheap ($3000 or so) compared to the UK's and Cali market appearance of $15k.

Do they differ much from typical VW maintenance?

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970/1971 Porsche 914/4 Reply with quote

Typical VW maintenance schedule it's just hard to reach down into the engine bay to do stuff. Major items are easy on a lift from below...usually the tie rods and rubber suspension bushings are shot. Rust is the biggest problem.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: