Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aussie '61 rat build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Long time reader, first post. G'day from straya

Here's my aussie built 61, would love to restore her one day but uni student funds aren't allowing right now, just want it rego'd to enjoy it, embracing the patina. Previous owner at one point painted the whole thing, rubbers and all with red house paint. Annoying, but protected what original paint was left underneath. Lots of time into scraping down to the original inch by inch. Matching body and pan but a 1600 motor, 1915cc getting built slowly in the background. Po drilled heaps of holes in the dash so I've tried to fill them in and look at least almost stock. Old wiper switch is now a fog light switch, also has push button starter, cigarette lighter and aux/usb input for the stereo.

Few little diy bits here and there, led brake light strip, led gauge with a dimmer hooked up in the dash, retrosound model 2 with components hidden behind the material in the doors. 4.5" narrowed beam getting built up now, dome light in the glove box hooked up to a door jam switch so it lights up automatically when opened, and an interior sourced from bunnings. Waiting on some ruby red rear fenders for snowflakes and due to bad previous rust repairs front indicators will be bullets. Not correct, but I like em and it's a bit unique over here. Number plate has been approved by the motor registry but I'll see how long it lasts before someone complains and it gets taken away.

Anyway, pics, enjoy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Great idea on the glove box light ; This should give you someplace to throw all that extra cash you college kids have Laughing
Read build threads ; save money learning by others mistakes......

The hole where the speaker went was cut for a plate that holds three gauges ; I just did this on mine ...
you might want to keep it and use it .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Is the white knob near the fire extinguisher for the hood release ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Ha, money, student? Good one...

Since that photo I sourced an original cover in correct colour, glued some fender amp material behind it, looks fine. Will worry about gauges when the motor is finished also want them hidden too. Po had a piece of ply held there with silicon, not an actual gauge plate. Had oil pressure and boost gauge in it, neither attached to anything.

And yep, that's bonnet release, fire extinguisher went in because the mounting holes matched other random holes drilled in by PO, maybe another extinguisher at some point. Could save the car one day ya never know.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

nice college car! Indian red? Oh yeah!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
nice college car! Indian red? Oh yeah!

Driving to class in a practical, safe reliable Subaru isn't cool... Very Happy

When this gets on the road the Subaru will go, replace that with a weekend warrior landcruiser. One car too high to get into car parks and the beetle too low to get over the humps into the car parks. Why am I getting rid of my Subaru again..?

Not too much work this week, speaker amp is in, rca cables from head unit up through the A pillar, down the B pillar into the floor, then speaker wires from amp back up through same way, into dash then into each door. Lot of effort but no exposed wiring in car for anything to bump.

Here's the door panel in, just some Hessian over, cut some metal from a soap holder and threaded each end and bolted over the speaker for protection, still subtle, wouldn't know it has speakers.

Venetian blinds from today's haul, always wanted em.

And a better shot of the dash, so many switches, easier than filling the holes. That retrosound stereo looks the goods.

lolight70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Gday from WA
Nice looking project !!
Dont sell the Subi !!
Keep the running gear for a conversion later
Chris
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Pedal assembly is out and being dipped and rebuilt, busted back meant doing some easy stuff. Finally finished all stereo wiring, picked up a sub and amp then built a suitcase enclosure. Until I find a new suitcase, this one will do. Cut a few inches from the middle so I can still see out the rear window, taped it up and it'll do for now.

Thomas Lindemann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Did aussie cars originally have a full headliner in them?
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Yep, this one just had everything ripped out. Even the bows were taken out but nothing ever replaced back in.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Work has been slow lately, but I've got a week off between summer semester and autumn (a nice 118 degrees this past weekend, great for working on the car in the sun) so I've been getting a bit done. Pic heavy, here's most of whats happened since August.

Front beam, hand built in Aus by SkinnedKnuckles, good quality stuff, awesome to see it built over here.

LED conversion on snowflakes, these pictures are taken during the day in the shade, can't miss these driving along!

Bit more cut and polish through the primer to original paint, still a way to go on the rest of the car but what's left underneath gives it a cool look.

Fresh TMI vinyl for the seats all round, WW padding, couldn't have worked better.

Some Mexican blanket cut, sown and glued into place to cover up dynamat and the whole in the trans tunnel to reach the clutch, that stuff will never pass rego here. Front bay is also lined in this, as is wiring cover. Wiring cover will eventually get a stock interior light put in with a switch somewhere so it lights up when the bonnet opens or manually turned on for finding things in the dark.

Dropping the motor to do trans mounts front and rear. The front mount was separated into two pieces, very close to becoming 3. I sat under the car while someone let the clutch out in first and watched the engine and trans lift and shake like hell. The rear mounts were both 2 pieces as well, I'm surprised it drove as well as it did when I moved it around the property. Test drive tomorrow with the new mounts, hopefully no more surging away when the clutch is let out.

As she sits now, still a little to go but hopefully only a few weeks now. Always expect another problem though.

Biggest challenge is going to be fitting this beast in/on the car. Wheel base is longer than the firewall (firewall in a beetle??) to the rear seats, so even with wheels off it'll be a challenge. Thinking maybe a roof rack with a thru axle holder welded in on top. When this becomes daily it's gunna have to drive me and the bike and gear interstate to race so I've gotta figure something out.

Now to the questions. Don't want to start a fresh thread on something covered everywhere but I've searched and tried everything but nothing works yet. Alternators...

Basically no charge. At first the idiot light didn't work, thought that was the problem. Turns out somewhere along the line the wire has buggered itself and a new wire had to be fed through the car, now the light works. Key - ON, light on. Engine ON, light ON... Rev up a little, light OFF, voltmeter reading stays at 12.6, no 14's like there should be. Trans ground strap is fine, plenty of metal to ground on both ends. Belt is spot on, no slipping at all. Worst part is it's a "brand new alternator" install by a shop I won't go near anymore. Brushes look fine, so I'm thinking regulator, maybe. Will pull it out tomorrow and inspect everything a bit closer. Any ideas on this one?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

try here
Speedy jims aircooled pages
speedyjim.net

Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Cheers for that.

So far I've tried everything on that page and nothing, so I'm leaning towards a bad regulator. Alternator is coming out now, at least I'm learning a bunch of new things. Doesn't look too easy to find the right regulator over here, but I still don't know what kind of regulator is inside as the alternator doesn't even have a manufacturer or model printed on it..
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Alternator is rooted. Mechanic dropped by on his way home to have a look, it's well and truly old and used, not new. Rusting on the inside, dodgy wiring and bearings are trashed. Tried everything on speedy Jim's site, nothing. Is it worth going to a higher output alternator for things like the stereo? 600 watts to sub and 400 to speakers, not sure if that warrants a 75 amp over 55. Alternator order in the morning. You can see in these photos the cheap regulator and rusting parts.

Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Last seat is finished, interior is done! Forgot how little these are when they've got a full set of seats. This one was a bit harder, only 5 of the spikes were left so I've had to cable tie the rear flap into the frame because a screw would go into the adjusted tube and I'd be stuck with one setting. I'm a tall guy so with the seats all the way back and backrest and the forward position I can just squeeze into the back seat.

Photos also show the LED speedo a bit better, camera can't quite show what it really looks like. Waiting on the alternator to arrive and then it's finished, ready for rego. RATSHT plate got rejected but RA75HT is on it's way.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

no offense meant, but this rat car is starting to look pretty good. nice work

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
no offense meant, but this rat car is starting to look pretty good. nice work

Hahaha, thanks, appreciate it. Figure I may as well be comfy and have something people won't mind sitting in. Got work on the paint done today, hopefully I've got some before photos to show off what a little cut and polish can do. You can too polish a turd!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Love the direction you are going with this! Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Need some samba folk input, or just drop some knowledge on me. Just about to order this:

https://au.vwheritage.com/111947111c-interior-light-t1-w-chrome-edge-54-69-[9]

for the light under the bonnet on the wiring cover. Do you guys call it the trunk of a beetle? Never known what to call it. Anyway, that'll get mounted in but I want it automatic and the only thing I can think of is a mercury switch, like this one:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/mini-mercury-switch-spst/p/SM1044

I've only discovered mercury switches tonight, so I'm not entirely sure on it, but if I were to mount that on the bonnet hinge say, in the off position, that should make contact and connect the circuit to the light when the bonnet opens, right? I'm not the best electrical guy, I've done basic electrical engineering at uni but that's all theory and little practise.

If all that works I'm thinking I could easily add one to the decklid, but where to mount the light for good visibility at night is another question.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

If you mount it to the wiring cover when it comes on it's going to be shining right in your face. I'd imagine you'd want something mounted to the actual hood (i call it) or even under the cowl facing down. There are plenty of self contained LED light options on Amazon, eBay, etc. Look for a marine grade. The switch might work, but positioning on the hinge could be difficult. Watch the hing as you open and close the hood. Not sure if there is enough angle change for the mercury switch to work, but if I had to guess I think it would work.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: