Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aussie '61 rat build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
If you mount it to the wiring cover when it comes on it's going to be shining right in your face. I'd imagine you'd want something mounted to the actual hood (i call it) or even under the cowl facing down. There are plenty of self contained LED light options on Amazon, eBay, etc. Look for a marine grade. The switch might work, but positioning on the hinge could be difficult. Watch the hing as you open and close the hood. Not sure if there is enough angle change for the mercury switch to work, but if I had to guess I think it would work.

Cheers for that. Just ideas at the moment. Really like the idea of using VW parts for it, but I have thought about it shining straight out but also thought about using an amber LED instead of a stock bulb and running a dimmer on that too if I need. Will have a play around and post up photos once parts arrive.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Oil light stopped working. Troubleshooting led to the light not working when touched on the power terminal, so no problems dash side, worked when the cable at engine end was grounded so must be a faulty switch. Very odd that it went out the moment the alternator came out but must be coincidence . Replacement switch from Super Cheap Auto fit right in no worries, comes on with ignition and goes out after a few seconds on cold start and immediately on warm start.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Hazza6542 wrote:
Need some samba folk input, or just drop some knowledge on me. Just about to order this:

https://au.vwheritage.com/111947111c-interior-light-t1-w-chrome-edge-54-69-[9]

for the light under the bonnet on the wiring cover. Do you guys call it the trunk of a beetle? Never known what to call it. Anyway, that'll get mounted in but I want it automatic and the only thing I can think of is a mercury switch, like this one:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/mini-mercury-switch-spst/p/SM1044

I've only discovered mercury switches tonight, so I'm not entirely sure on it, but if I were to mount that on the bonnet hinge say, in the off position, that should make contact and connect the circuit to the light when the bonnet opens, right? I'm not the best electrical guy, I've done basic electrical engineering at uni but that's all theory and little practise.

If all that works I'm thinking I could easily add one to the decklid, but where to mount the light for good visibility at night is another question.

Mercury switch, ha, dont think I can legally buy them anymore where I live. I cant even buy a mercury thermometer any more. so much stuff has been outlawed. I did save my old wall thermostat and it has a mercury switch, as do some of my home light switches. used to have a large mercury barometer as a kid, wonder where it went?

had mercury, a few pounds worth in a jar in a lab I worked in, they had a hazmat crew come take it away one day. They did not take the jar of sperm whale oil however, that we used to lube sensitve instruments.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Got a fair bit done today, enjoy.

Day started with parts delivery, always fun, then stumbled across some things from our last '72, got lucky and there's a '61 owners manual in it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got onto the alternator first, all went well. Key into on position and two idiot lights!! Both go out when started, happy days. Need to move the strap to a different position so it's a bit cleaner but hey, I'll do that next time I need to do something in the bay.

Bit of rain had me stuck inside so got cracking on the luggage compartment light, pretty happy with the outcome. Running a lower wattage bulb to avoid the light blasting in my face, will try a 10w bulb to see if it's too much brighter. Photo's don't do it justice, it's pretty dim at the moment. Can't really see in the photo but looks like a tube amp through the dash. Mercury switch is hidden away by the cover, neat and clean install.

For now, that's the car finished! Once it's registered, in goes the beam and front discs and get it dropped, plus a few other changes that wouldn't pass the road worthy over here. Nothing stupid or dangerous, you'll see soon enough.

Some good photo's of the car lit up.

arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

I would love some details on your third brake light. I have been trying to figure out what to do with mine...
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:
I would love some details on your third brake light. I have been trying to figure out what to do with mine...

Real basic set up, I've got to figure out a way to make it a bit more secure. Red LED light strip, solder on wires to positive and negative (Positive on the left so you can tap into the brake light wiring, negative where ever you please, as long as it's grounded). Feed the strip up and into the grill from the engine bay, there is a small gap to do this. Feed it through as much as possible then use a long screw driver to gently drag it across the grill.

Haven't quite figured out securing it down yet, but you can cable tie it to one of the vents inside the grill with a lot of patience.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Passed my rego check this morning, good times. Got lucky, the window regulator shit itself just after it got tested. Pulled into the driveway at home, wound the window up half way then a loud crack and the regulator is busted. Pulled it apart and the gear doesn't seem to be contacting the teeth on the arm at all. Will grab new ones tomorrow, can't be bothered fixing it if I can just buy new and bolt it in at the shop.

Next plan is power windows but using the stock winders as the switch. Figured out how to the winders as a switch but not sure on mounting the motor. Have searched a few threads but want something that takes some thinking, not just a bolt on. Will have a play around.

First real drive tomorrow, can't wait! Haven't been for a drive in a beetle in 5 years or so. Even just the short drive to the rego check this morning I got a bunch of waves, peace and smiles from everyone, people love them! Forgot how special they are, even the post man walked up the drive to talk to me about it because he had a story about his '64. Love it, now to find matching paint panels and keep on working on it.
FUSSELL2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

here are a couple of options on the power windows. maybe you have something like this down under.

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/power-windows/crank-handle-switches

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/power-windows/motors/wonder-lift-power-window-kit

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Power-Window-Kits/U...3-Switches

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/OEM-Window-Crank-Sw...l-Vehicles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Cheers for those links, but I think I've got other issues to sort first.

In heavy rain, water is getting into the glove box, so there's a leak somewhere.

Then bigger issue, something went bad. Loud bang, no power and loud knocking. Sounds like a hammer hitting the block and oil leaking out of the oil pressure switch but the light never came on and still works. Lot's of exploring in the engine to do today. Will get a video of the engine and link it here later.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Right so I think I've figured it out.

This was my explanation to an aircooled mate of mine and his response:

Me -
Quote:
"Raining but had a quick check on the valves, cylinder 3 (I think, passenger side, closest to front of car) has a valve that isn't move, it's the valve closest to front of car as well. It's staying in, spring compressed. Turned motor by hand, not much resistance but not the happiest, and won't start with starter for the sake of a video.

When it happened, lost all power, could barely even roll the car back for the tow truck to pull over. Any rough idea of what it is, how to fix, what to do/avoid?"

Him -
Quote:
"I hate to say it bloke, but you have cooked #3 cyl, that is the hottest cylinder out of them all and normally the bang happens there. So what you have described is right.Are you running all the cooling tin?... Did you check for oil pressure?.What were your tolerances for end float?.. lots of things contribute to a catastrophic fail.
The fact is man, you gotta pull engine and strip it down to find the true problem. i feel for you man , i have done it a few times on engines. its worse when they go BANG on a performance engine worth a lotta cash....."

So, bugger. Plan now is to drop the motor this week and start disassembling. Will be good to learn how it all works first hand, not from just watching videos. Will be a good learning curve. Mate has a long block I could look at buying but just dumped every cent into registering the thing, so could be a long journey. I can laugh about it at least, it went at 99 miles on the odo, and it's an old car with an engine in unknown condition so I went in hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Time to read up on here about engine building. Love the VW community though, already had two offers from strangers to help me build it up if I need!

EDIT: Discovered rain leak. There's a bloody hole under the windscreen seal! I thought I paid for the whole car to have rust repairs, apparently not. Not happy.
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Hazza6542 wrote:

"I hate to say it bloke, but you have cooked #3 cyl,
The fact is man, you gotta pull engine and strip it down to find the true problem. i feel for you man "

Not happy.[/quote]

That sucks with all the progress you've made mate.

On my '59 rear seal leak turned into a complete rebuild. Who knew ?

I am paranoid about oil temperature and valve lash now. They are fun to drive though, and like you said, get lots of waves when driving.

Cheers
Tom
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
Hazza6542 wrote:

"I hate to say it bloke, but you have cooked #3 cyl,
The fact is man, you gotta pull engine and strip it down to find the true problem. i feel for you man "

Not happy.

That sucks with all the progress you've made mate.

On my '59 rear seal leak turned into a complete rebuild. Who knew ?

I am paranoid about oil temperature and valve lash now. They are fun to drive though, and like you said, get lots of waves when driving.

Cheers
Tom[/quote]

Thanks man. I think the plan is now to try and find some night shift work so I can build up something a bit bigger, 1904 is looking good now. So many options I'm choosing a different motor each day.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Well, motor is out and mostly stripped. Found the problem at least. Cyl. #3, pushrod is gone! Well, it's still there but it's in two pieces, can feel the two stuck in the push rod tube. Hopes are high that there isn't too much damage internally. I'd say the head is busted, but won't know till it comes off tomorrow. I've got a plan for a rebuild, researching here how to do it all myself. Will have to start a build thread for it, too. Biggest concern is the CR, living in Australia where I've got access to 98 RON fuel at every servo I guess I've got to build it to suit. Stock 1600cc, discovered it's an AS41 case, seems good. Will edit in photo's tomorrow.

Also discovered that the guy who did my 12V conversion did some baaaad wiring. Starter to alt. wire was two different wires, I assumed under the heat shrink would be some solder. Nope! Not even a twist, just one on top of the other with a bit of heat shrink holding it together. Dodgy stuff, don't know how lazy they can be to not take the 2 minutes to solder a wire or throw in $5 worth of new wiring and 5 minutes of crimping on connections.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Well, down to a short block now and everything is looking good. No scoring on pistons or block, so that's good. Assuming I still need to get some machining done anyway but I'm still learning. Rocker arms are either loose and turn freely or a little stiff. Good condition though and will probably rebuild. I've done some basic searching but may as well ask here, is there a trick to getting the front pulley off? It looks rusted on, no budge even with heat and some light prying. Will buy a puller tomorrow but will probably need some grinding to work with the vw pulley. Or, it's all getting replaced anyway, could I just split the case with crankshaft still on?

Here are some photos of the heads, everything looks in order and no cracks but a lot of carbon build up. We don't have 'simple green' over here so will carby cleaner do the trick?valves will get replaced.

And more photos of the rust on parts. Plus the culprit of the engine going bang.

And a few photos from the 2 hours if actually worked.

99 kilometres before blowing up, so close to 100..
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Nice that there seems to be minimal damage. Is there slight blow by on the heads, or is that carbon deposit normal? When we pulled my 36 HP apart there were metal bits in the lower case.

Can't help on the pulley removal, but help will be at hand soon I'm sure.

The pictures look like mountain country west of Sydney.

Good luck with the engine refresh.

Tom
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Hi Mate, Lovin the car by the way...

I got the pulley off on my 63 by walking the pulley off with two large screw drivers opposed at 180 degrees from one another, was a bitch of a job as I assume it had been on for the best part of 50 odd years but it came off. just be mindful that you are jemmying it off of the case surface behind the pulley so don't go to hard just easy does it with a bit of patients (or get a puller )

Regarding the simple green not I have not seen any here in Sydney either mate and all I used was carb cleaner and a scrubbing brush the alternative is to clean them as much as you can and send them to the machine shop to clean up for you ( I think they sand blasted mine ) although I did have them re build mine so they were taken apart.

Cheers Chris
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Yup, sure is the Blue Mountains! Anyone who knows Boddington Hill, I was surprised to be passing people in new cars in 4th cruising at 50mph, hard to get her up to speed but easy to stick there. Can't give up after one day of it working, way too much fun driving around, might help my license stick around, too.

No idea if the carbon is normal but I sure don't want it staying there for the rebuild. Tried using two screwdrivers, my brother helping as well and nothing, wouldn't budge. Will grab a puller this afternoon and give that a go, it's been drenched in WD-40 overnight so that should help it out a little.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

Righto, case is split! Pretty surprised with what we found in there, which was nothing but clean, straight parts. Everything internal is great, other than carbon build up on pistons. So the case is good and can be reused. Enjoying learning how everything works inside, I'll be ready for the next (hopefully not) break down.

Question time. I'll search some more on here myself, but if anyone is feeling nice to help an engine newb, cheers!

Case machining: I'm gunna get it crack tested anyway, but what am I looking at getting machined. Everything looks straight and good but I know tolerances are extremely small. Does everything just get machined to remove small burs or does it get bored out slightly?

The crank shaft and cam shaft; I haven't checked with a feeler gauge the rods and crank yet, but everything is straight and they all spin freely with a push or gravity, good sign. Gears are all perfect. Can I save some $$$ and reuse these? Will get good detailed pictures tomorrow (it's 2am here).

Things like the lifters, they all seem fine. No scoring, in and out of the case smoothly with no play, I can't fault them. Reuse?

Electric fuel pump: I like the idea of the fuel block off/coil mount, nice and clean. Or is this just a bit much and just mount the coil behind the shroud for looks?

Tin: I had bugger all to start with. All I've got is fan shroud, front breast and cylinder covers, will are both in bad, rusty and bent condition. I wanna go 36hp doghouse anyway but looks like my options are aftermarket. Not waiting around to find OG good cond. when I just want this thing back on the road. Not a show pony but I don't want it to be/look rushed either. If I go all after market tin, just how much trouble am I running into?

Other good point is it's running a vintage speed exhaust, no heater. Was told the underside tin won't fit. This true?

And if someone can be bothered telling me, how far off is this shopping list for a full rebuild considering condition of current internals? All going on my AD series, AS41 case. The thing will get driven as a daily, so it needs to be reliable but I'm more than happy to sit at 50mph highway and won't treat it like a 2110, no point in trying to go fast in a slow car.

TIN

C13-9057 - 3 PIECE BLACK GENERATOR BACKING PLATE KIT - ALL 12 VOLT BEETLE STYLE ENGINES

ACC-C10-5985 - 36HP BLACK FAN SHROUD W/OUT HEATER OUTLETS FITS ALL 12-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES - (A10)

ACC-C10-6217 - BLACK REAR ENGINE TIN W/ NO HOLES FOR HEATER HOSE OR HEAT RISERS - 1300CC-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINE

VWC-113-101-475-B2 - VALVE COVER - O.E. BLACK BEETLE / GHIA / TYPE 3 61-79 / BUS 61-71 - SOLD PAIR

VWC-311-119-317-A2 - BLACK DEFLECTOR PLATE BETWEEN PUSHRODS & CYLINDERS - 13-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES 66-79 - SOLD PAIR

ACC-C10-5442 - BLACK SINGLE PORT CYLINDER TIN PR - ALL 1300CC-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES 66-70

C13-8948 - BLACK 3PC HEATER BOX TIN - WILL DO BOTH LEFT & RIGHT SIDES - ALL 40HP 12-1600CC BEETLE ENGINES

ACC-C10-6212 - SMALL PULLEY TIN BLACK - ALL 1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES

ACC-C10-6213-DH - BLACK FIREWALL TIN - LATE STYLE FOR USE W/ DOGHOUSE SHROUD - 1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES 71-79

VWC-131-119-358 - SMALL AIR DEFLECTOR ENGINE TIN RIGHT - ALL 1300CC-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES 1966-1979

VWC-131-119-357 - SMALL AIR DEFLECTOR ENGINE TIN LEFT - ALL 1300CC-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES 1966-1979

ACC-C10-5976 - BLACK AIR CHANNEL TIN 2 PCS W/ SEALS - BACKSIDE OF DOGHOUSE FAN SHROUD - 1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES

EXTERNAL

C24-311-115-141-C - TOP QUALITY - OIL PUMP COVER PLATE W/ 8MM HOLES - ALL BEETLE STYLE ENGINES 1968-1979

ACC-C10-5395 - OIL DRAIN PLATE W/GASKET SET - ALL 40HP - 12-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES

C13-4009 - 10MM CHROMOLY CASE STUDS STOCK LENGTH - COMPLETE WITH NUTS AND WASHER - ALL BEETLE STYLE 1600CC ENGINES

VHD-N11-0624-6 - CAP OIL DRAIN PLATE NUT - ALL 12-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES - SOLD SET OF 6 NUTS

ACC-C10-5242 - MAGNETIC OIL DRAIN PLUG - ALL 25HP-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES 1946-1979

C13-16-9435-B - QUALITY DISTRIBUTOR CAP - BEETLE 69-79 / GHIA 69-79 / BUS 69-79 / VAN. 80-84 & BOSCH 009 DIS.

POSSIBLE FUEL PUMP BLOCK OFF FOR ELEC. PUMP

BOS-09001 - BOSCH (NEW DESIGN WITH CARBON CORE) IGNITION WIRE SET 12-1600CC (SEE SPECIAL NOTE) - BEETLE 46-79 / GHIA 56-74 / BUS 50-71 - SOLD SET

BOS-WR8AC-4 - BOSCH SUPER PLUS SPARK PLUG - BEETLE 46-79/GHIA 56-74/BUS 50-71/TYPE-3 62-74 - SOLD AS A SET OF 4

C15-25074 - SCAT - FULLY WELDED AND BALANCED COOLING FAN 35MM I.D. FAN - ALL DOGHOUSE STYLE FAN SHROUDS

VWC-111-117-021-EAL - NEW ALUMINUM DESIGN - OIL COOLER W/ 10MM HOLES 40HP 12-1600CC (ALUMINUM FINS FOR SUPERIOR COOLING) - BEETLE 61-70 / GHIA 61-70 / BUS 60-70 (SEE SPECIAL NOTES BEFORE PURCHASING)

C26-903-113B – BLACK OXIDE - BILLET HIGH CARBON STEEL CNC MACHINED CENTER HUB 12 VOLT GEN/ALT PULLEY – ALL 1600CC STYLE ENGINES – SOLD EACH

ACC-C10-5423 - CHROME CRANK PULLEY BOLT & WASHER - BEETLE 46-79 / GHIA 56-74 / BUS 50-71 / THING 73-74

INTERNAL

C24-113-198-007-GER - GENUINE ELRING BRAND - MADE IN GERMANY - ENGINE GASKET SET - 1300CC-1600CC AIRCOOLED ENGINES (FLYWHEEL SEAL SOLD SEP.)

VWC-311-109-301-A8 - STOCK PUSH RODS - SET OF 8 - ALL 13-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES - SOLD SET OF 8

C13-4045 - EMPI -HIGH-REV VALVE SPRING KIT - W/SINGLE SPRGS / ALLOY RETAINERS & HARDENED KEEPERS -BUG ENG.

ACC-C10-5219 - ITALY MADE - STAINLESS STEEL VALVES 32MM - SOLD EACH

VWC-113-101-401-ZSET - SET OF 4 VALVE GUIDES - 8MM STD - 12-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES - SOLD SET OF 4

REBUILD KIT INCLUDING

C24-111-198-541-SL - SILVERLINE BRAND - STANDARD CAM BRGS - 1300CC / 1500CC / 1600CC / VANAGON 83-85 1.9L

C24-113-105-245-FS - GENUINE ELRING BRAND - HIGHEST QUALITY - SILICON FLYWHEEL SEAL (REAR MAIN) - ALL 40HP 12-1600CC BEETLE STYLE ENGINES

VWC-113-101-157-C - CAMSHAFT END PLUG - ALL AIR COOLED MODELS 1300CC-2000CC

VWC-311-109-335-8 - SET OF 8 PUSH ROD TUBES - 1300CC-1600CC - SOLD SET OF 8

VWC-311-115-175 - OIL STRAINER SCREEN - ALL 40HP 1200CC-1600CC

VWC-113-109-309-C8 - SET OF 8 - STOCK CAM FOLLOWERS - LIFTERS FOR 40HP 12-1600CC - SOLD SET OF 8

VWC-311-198-069-B - AA-PRODUCTS - PISTON & CYLINDER COMPLETE SET ( FOR 1 ENGINE) - 85.5MM 1600CC 70-79 - UPGRADES 67-69 - (A20)

VWC-311-105-401-BOE - CONNECTING ROD SET - MATCHED WEIGHT SET OF 4 RODS - 100% NEW (NOT REBUILT) - ALL 13-1600CC BEETLE 66-79 - SOLD IN SETS OF 4
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

So while the engine drama is going on in the background, I've been getting to the paint and interior a bit more. The rear seats were never quite right (Base could not slide under the back rest enough to sit in the brace across the car, about 2" off) so I bought a new set today, original. They seem to be right, but when installed there was a 2" gap between the bottom of the back rest and the top of the base. Never seen or heard of it before.

Backstory, when I bought them I saw the tabs that get bolted into the shell were bent back, full 180 degrees. Thought that was odd, so I heated them and bent them back, but when they are in the 'proper' place, the seat sits wrong with the large gap. The rest of the frame is in good condition, not bent anywhere. The top of the seat is sitting a little higher than the side rear windows, seems a bit high. I'm not sure why the tabs were bent back on themselves but in an odd way it must fix the problem.

I have the TMI covers for 58-64 seats, the base is a nice fit on the seat base I already have but when swapped to the new 'correct style' seats, there's waaaay to much over hang on all edges. Now I'm getting really confused. So I'm going to stick with the seat base that fits the covers better. But what should I do about the back rest? I could use the wrong back rest and wrong base and probably have a good working set, but I know they're not right and it bothers me.

Will upload photos in the morning to show what's happening, and the seat frames I've picked up. Car is Australian made so there are some weird things that happened over here that were standard but wouldn't be correct OS, so it's hard to find good information.

Here is the back rest I was using that wouldn't let the base sit under.

The seat I picked up today

The tabs to bolt into the body.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie '61 rat build Reply with quote

I just upholstered my seats, over the winter.

I wish I would have taken more detailed pictures, but your upper rear seat looks different from mine. It seems to be longer. I could take some measurements if it would help. I know that my rear seat is tighter fit after the upholstery. Does the seat frame fit well without padding ?

Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: